Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII American Airborne Infantry repros?

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Hey all,

Me and my gang (brothers, cousins, a few friends) have decided to do a bit of an ensemble costume for this coming halloween and we decided to dress like WWII paratroopers.

The problem is, I have NO idea where to begin this search. From my limited knowledge I know the US paras wore M1942 jackets and had special jump boots, and there ends my knowledge on the subject.

Any ideas where I could get repros? How much can I expect a 'close enough' completed costume to cost me? I've been checking out he auctions on eBay and it looks as if a jacket, and pants will cost me about $130, and boots about the same. That's a bit pricey for me, especially considering that I'd still have to get the helmet, webbing, and assorted field gear (i'm planning on going as a medic). If any of you reenactors have some good resources I'd greatly appreciate you posting about them here. Thanks!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
You would probaby have to fake it quite a bit. USGI stuff used to be cheap, in fact it used to be one of the cheapest impressions you could do, but it is quickly getting more and more expensive with a complete impression starting to approach the level of the German kit.

I am not an expert on GI uniforms and kit, but if you find someone who is I bet there are cheap but farby alternatives which wouldn't pass muster with reenactors but would look good enough for any costume party.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
You could probably spend $500 and still have a pretty poor impression.
All the uniform and equipment you need for a good walking impression is a fairly hefty investment for a Halloween costume.

The used re-enactor uniforms on eBay aren't even cheap enough for you probably.

And the impression is so well known that if you don't get it right, well...
it just won't look right. Cheesey...

eBay will be the cheapest unless you 'know' somebody.

-here are some US based re-enacting uniform vendors -

www.whatpriceglory.com
www.wwiiimpressions.com
www.atthefront.com

Check it out and see for yourself-
-if you're gonna start hunting for cheap, used stuff, you'd better start looking now... only 6 months to go... you may need all of it.

B
T

db5zx

Familiar Face
Actuall, Jerry at WhatPriceGlory offers some package deals. You can get the entire equipment package (all repro) for something like $700 or so. Pretty darn expensive for a Halloween costume. But then none of the vendors are "halloween" vendors, they look for the perfect repro for the reenactors. If you don't want to spend that much, try eBay for original equipment. I once got a WWII Marine Corps Uniform for something like $50. Uniform only, that is... So, even with eBay, this is gonna be one big investment...

Good luck!

Jens

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Boots-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=586&item=6528636075&rd=1

Passable boots if you paint them brown-
Depending on how sloppy you are, you can clean these with acetone and just paint these with brown acrylic exterior deck/wood paint. Sounds sad but it works well- unless you want to keep them and use them for something else.
You can actually clean the acrylic paint off with meths or whatever spirit-
My brother once painted a pair of brown shoes black when he remembered that we were going to a funeral directly from work (at his signpainting shop)-
-he didn't even take them off! :kick:

B
T

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Interesting, if discouraging, responses so far... but that's good in a way. One reason I started this post was to ferret out if this would be feasable. OK, check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4729&item=6528163345&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4729&item=6527834832&rd=1

what else am I going to be looking at? That puts me at about $300 right there.

Besdides the uniform and boots I can think of webbing, helmet, and some field gear. I'd go as a medic so I don't need a firearm, but I would need some medic supplies.

I'm not above spending that kind of money, especially since I think I could get use out of most of the items even after halloween. The boots and cargo pants specifically, and the jacket would be a cool windbreaker. Does anyone own a pair of decent jump boots? Can they comment on the quality? I need a pair of hiking boots, any chance these could serve both purposes? I'm asking here so I don't have to find out the hard way after spending a bunch of money. Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it coming.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The so-called 'Corcorans' made by Cove shoe Co. and available from many sources, are the standard for re-enactors.
Corcoran by name only- Cove own the name. They are not 1940s Corcoran.
The leather on them isn't great- cardboard-ish, not thick, resilient or conforming enough to make a decent boot. I bought a pair a few years back, that's how I know. The service shoess(ankle boots) I had from WWII Impressions were a similar leather- not the best- but it seems many are happy with them.
I'd really like to try an alternative- I think SM Wholesale have their own make of airborne boots- Maybe What Price Glory have the same ones as SMW.
You need to remember, these are high lacing boots, not that practical for hiking. Good for parachuting and ankle protection.

B
T

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
SM Wholesale offers a whole set for $450, and that's the best I've seen so far. The set doesn't include a helmet but it does include nearly everything else.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Airborne

WWII era jumpsuits are still around, though perhaps not readily
available; however, Corcoran jump boots are plentiful as current
issue, and there is time to paint them brown....lol

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Halloween

MrBern said:
time is relative, as this thread started for LAST halloween. ;)
But yes, Airborne repros are a lot cheaper this year.

That's what Zeno said.lol
Admittedly last year's thread, but seasonally topical.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24