Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Army Officers Dress Shoes

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I own the ATF shoes, other than the fact that they squeak, or at least the right one squeaks, they are great. I wear them as near everyday shows. They run about a half size smaller, I normally take an 8 1/2 or 9 and I have an 8, they fit great.

For the record I also have a pair of WPG's British Officer Shoes, smooth leather sole, heel plates, and am slowly breaking them in. They are alright, if I did not have my insole they would be damn near unwearable.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
1940s Army Boots - Just to get Baggers juices flowing!

These are actually 1939.

Now what about that argument about orange colour being inappropriate in Buzz Ricksons?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ELEVEN eyelets?! Boy, the prewar soldier must have had time on his hands and then some. I understand they used to have their uniforms taken in so tight they could barely breathe, just so they wouldn't show any ripples or bag-outs at inspection time. (And that's supposedly true of every peacetime army up to that time.)

Doug C

Practically Family
Baggers wrote -

If you can't locate any BRs in your size, What Price Glory has announced that they should be getting in a new shipment of officer's low quarters next month.

I can't find any mention of this shoe on WPG's website.. where did you hear or read this announcement?

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Officer's russet dress shoe option..

Looking through the old post I read where someone (think it was Baggers) found a really inexpensive Officer's shoe in russet brown, it was the Bates #1202. Copshoes.com carried it but no longer do, it's been discontinued apparently. Not being able to locate it anywhere else :mad: , I came across this one. The upper looks pretty good but the sole isn't leather - well what do you all think?
http://workingperson.com/products/2...Leather_Bates_Lites_Oxford_Work_Shoes_82.html

Doug C

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Kinda pricey, but looks close enough. Really if you think about it, maybe most officers stationed overseas could not always find the genuine US issue or authorized shoes in their size when they needed them. So I think a reasonable alternative was certainly acceptable. Even does not say so in "The Officer's Guide". That is, it's not very specific other than the russet color and the basic oxford style.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have those very shoes (the rubber soled Bates shoes) - I wouldn't consider paying $80+ for them! They are cheap, cheap shoes, and cheaply made. I got mine for $25, and that was a LOT for them.
On the other hand, I wear them often. The rubber soles are good for walking. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
One supposes the leather-soles requirement was ignored by Air Force and other officers who were likely to encounter oil spills on duty.

Lands' End offers 2 other blucher options in "Dark English Tan":

Rubber sole & heel, $79.50
"So flexible they can bend in half" = so if you can't find a crusher cap, you can at least have crusher shoes.

Leather sole & halfheel, $149.50

Pix not linkable. Guess they don't want too much free advertising. :mad:

Doug C

Practically Family
Wow that Leather soled one for $149 looks great in the English Tan!! Have you gotten any of these?

Doug C

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I seem to remember the Bates 82 being recommended for Navy "brown shoe" wear with khakis. (All Navy officers and chiefs can now wear brown shoes with khakis, altho in practice, non-aviation personnel are strongly discouraged from doing so.)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
alternatives

Sorry I have been googling around so much and forgot where I saw these but I think they are Italian Gravatis or some such on the JCusey shoes advice

cookie

I'll Lock Up
alternatives

scotrace said:
I have those very shoes - I wouldn't consider paying $80+ for them! They are cheap, cheap shoes, and cheaply made. I got mine for $25, and that was a LOT for them.
On the other hand, I wear them often. The rubber soles are good for walking. :)

Scotrace
I think you may be confusing them with the ones on sale that have rubber flexible soles and are for sale for 38USD. Those landsend shoes are the UK made welted jobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats