Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII aviation artist - favourite picture?

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Do you have a favourite artist or picture of WW II aircraft?

I have a printed copy of Harvest 1940 by Gerald Coulson, we'll my brother has it in his study at the moment. I saw the original painting years ago in a gallery and I was transfixed by the painting, the colour and texture, the spitfire seemed to be flying out of the painting. Sadly I did not have the £2500 to purchase the painting. Anyway about 9 months later I saw a limited print, so I brought that instead, however the print does not do the original painting justice. There seems to an abundance of aviation art these days so there are other paintings I like but Harvest 1940 was the first I liked.

image.jpg

ranger4-7

New in Town
So many great artists, like Stan Stokes, Robert Taylor, and Tony Weddel, to name a few. One print that always stood out for me was "Deadly Chase" by Ronald Wong. Always loved the Spitfire, but what I like most about this piece of art is the way in which it conveys the speed of the chase.
DeadlyChase_zps682d75d5.jpg

Chris

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I'd have to say Robert Taylor probably leads the pack in my mind. His painterly style and impeccable draftsmanship can't be beat.

I did a series of WWII aviation paintings myself a few years back. Combining my love of vintage aircraft and art, I figured I'd have a go at the genre. Here's one I did of a Spitfire and Hurricane. Sorry about the watermark, but I sell these prints online and rather not have folks helping themselves to a free copy.

spitfires_by_matt_crunk-d7sqbwa.jpg

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
So many great artists, like Stan Stokes, Robert Taylor, and Tony Weddel, to name a few. One print that always stood out for me was "Deadly Chase" by Ronald Wong. Always loved the Spitfire, but what I like most about this piece of art is the way in which it conveys the speed of the chase.
DeadlyChase_zps682d75d5.jpg

Chris

Wow, you really get the impression of speed. Nice painting.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I'd have to say Robert Taylor probably leads the pack in my mind. His painterly style and impeccable draftsmanship can't be beat.

I did a series of WWII aviation paintings myself a few years back. Combining my love of vintage aircraft and art, I figured I'd have a go at the genre. Here's one I did of a Spitfire and Hurricane. Sorry about the watermark, but I sell these prints online and rather not have folks helping themselves to a free copy.

spitfires_by_matt_crunk-d7sqbwa.jpg

Great work there Matt, can understand the watermark. Like the aircraft and the clouds give depth and a feeling of light.

Have you a link to view more of your work? Sure would like to see more.

Any of a Ju52?

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Hey Matt

Just to say love the photo of you with the pith helmet, great shot, just imagine it sitting inside a silver or croc skin photo frame on a campaign desk. :). Where did you get glasses from? Would love a pair like that myself.

Went to devianart, thanks to the watermark.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Hey Matt

Just to say love the photo of you with the pith helmet, great shot, just imagine it sitting inside a silver or croc skin photo frame on a campaign desk. :). Where did you get glasses from? Would love a pair like that myself.

Went to devianart, thanks to the watermark.

Thanks Godfrey and Nick123, for the nice compliments. If you found deviantart.com, then you have already found some of my other work on my page there. I have a few more examples of my aviation art up there, but most of that stuff I sold years ago. I do however accept commissions if there's something in particular you'd like to see. :)

Ahh yes, the pith helmet photo. I actually used that photo for quite some time as my avatar here on TFL. As to the glasses, I wish I knew their vintage or even their maker. I found them at an unclaimed baggage outlet for $5, and they just happened to be very near my own prescription - near enough that I wear them occasionally as my regular eyeglasses. Probably need to eventually get them changed to my exact Rx.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
What a great catalog. Lovely style. There were a few prints in that Flying Aces book I really liked which were kind of in spirit with yours, but most of them in the book were a bit loud for my tastes. The softer paintings with the more muted colors seemed to capture a feeling of what I imagine to be a kind of wartime melancholy the others didn't have.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Here's another I like. James Dietz I believe. My step-dad's father was there at Henderson Field at Guadalcanal. I nearly purchased this print for him a few years back.
image.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
raise your hand if you have this print! It was almost ubiquitous to have this if you were a pilot in the 80s and 90s. It is still pretty striking!
dhm0917_zpsc2f4e23a.jpg

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Here's another I like. James Dietz I believe. My step-dad's father was there at Henderson Field at Guadalcanal. I nearly purchased this print for him a few years back.
View attachment 20052

Ah yes, Dietz is another great painter. I like the way his work always focuses more on the people surrounding the aircraft than the planes themselves. Adds a real human element to it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy