Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Boots - Service, Jump, etc.

up196

A-List Customer
Glad to help.

They're pretty nice boots, made in the USA by Corcoran. On the WWII Impressions website they have more info, and they carry the russets as well as the 6" rough-outs, the paratrooper styles and the later rough-outs with the taller buckle collar. Click on US Army Uniforms and scroll dorn to "Quality footwear" . . . Tom

www.wwiiimpressions.com

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Best foot forward..!

Thanks for that 'heads up' Tom, as I've had a hankering after a good pair of RoughOuts too, to go with the AAF gear.

BrianPettit

New in Town
Size 15s you say?

What Price Glory has them. I have a pair from Juan (WWII Impressions). But Jerry at What Price Glory carries the same boots. I think Jerry's might be cheaper...

http://whatpriceglory.com/usboot.htm

Your looking for the "garrison shoes". That is the cap toe ankle boot. I have a pair for my MP imrpession and they are great.

All you have to do is when you get them soak them in warm/hot water for a hour or two. Put them on when they are still wet and wear them as long as you can stand them.

Remember to put in any insoles that you would wear normally after you soak them.Take them off and let them dry out. Repeat if needed. This will make the boots form to your feet and be nice and soft. Shine them up and there you go. I have broken in about 30 pairs of boots this way and they won't beat up your feet in the break-in period.

Hope this helps...Enjoy.
Brian

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
YES!

Thanks, Mr. Pettit. I have wanted a pair of these for a very long time. I have a pair on order now.

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Zohar
Man, I would buy a pair of those Rough-outs today if they had a size 15!

Roughouts are suede ... thus the moniker "Roughouts" with the rough part of the leather on the outside. Those ankle boots (and eventually the two buckle variation) were worn later in the war. The garrison boots pictured above were worn earlier.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's cool info. I wonder what made them switch from smooth side out to rough out.
I just like the way roughouts wear. After a year of wear, that inside part of the leather will be slick and smooth looking.

BrianPettit

New in Town
Roughouts are better in the field. Plain and simple. I dont think that there is a science to it.

The boots were coated by the soldiers with dubbing. Its a sort of cream/wax that was made to protect the boots and waterproof them.

We use a oil like Precards and then brown shoe polish. Don't shine um just rub it in. This gives the boots a finish like when you apply dubbing on them. The "hair" like finish will be replaced with a smother finish. Not gloss smooth like you can get on jumpboots or garrison boots but more finished like the dubbing makes.

You can tell a new guy because he will have "fresh" boots on.

Hope this also helps.

Brian

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Originally posted by BrianPettit

All you have to do is when you get them soak them in warm/hot water for a hour or two. Put them on when they are still wet and wear them as long as you can stand them.

Brian [/B]

If you watch the "Video Diary" made by Ron Livingston on the Band of Brothers DVD, he does the same thing with his jump boots the night before begining boot camp with Dale Dye!
I've been kicking around the idea of buying a pair of brown Corcoran jump boots for awhile but I haven't decided if I want to be bothered with having to lace them up all the time!:p I have had a few pairs of black jump boots that not only lace up but also have zippers up the sides. Maybe I'll compromise and just get a pair of the cap toe ankles boots instead!

dutch101st

New in Town
Aw, give me a good pair of jump boots ANYTIME...

Besides, who wants to go around lookin like a dirty leg anyhow?!?

Cienfuegos

New in Town
Hello to all!!
You might help me!!
confused: :confused:
I would like to buy a few boots of these and I have been in the web of wwiiimpressions and not for which to decide I am between.
SHOE,SERVICIE RUSSSET COMPOSITION SOLE and SHOE SHERVICE CORDOVAN USMC.

I would like to hear your opinion.

A greeting.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot