Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Boots - Service, Jump, etc.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I decided to get the WW2 Imp. rough outs. But is there any difference in the Army version and the Marine Boondocker? Aparently the Boonies are narrower in the toe? Is that all. Since I'm a Marine I am leaning towards the Boondockers.

I was friends and worked with an old WW2 Marine Pearl Harbor Vet. back in the middle 80s. He told me that there were some units that would shave their rough outs and spit shine them. This is the only time I heard of that practice. I don't discount him, however. Anyone else ever hear of this?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Brown shoe or black shoe...

Got my WWII Impressions Russet Service Captoe Shoes, the other day and it got me thinking...Called my Father In Law (who served in the US Navy during WWII) to see what color footwear he was issued. He stated that Shipboard personell wore black shoes and boots while pilots wore brown. I wondered when the change to all black took place and he could not answer. I know that McNamara unified some aspects of the uniform during the 60s and Viet Nam. Did soldiers in the Korean War wear brown?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I believe the official transition to the Black boot was by late `58.
So recruits issued brown boots much earlier than that were told to dye them. I beleive that started around `56.
I wish I could recall the date, but I had a friend who related being handed two pair of brown boots & told to dye one pair before bed.

Of course , right now, the army & marines are transitioning away from the black boot. Bootshining will become a thing of the past.

-bern

HistWardrobe

Vendor
Navy Brown Shoes

Unless uniform regulations have changed in the last few years, Naval Aviator's regulation shoes are still brown, whereas the rest of the Navy wears black. . Couldn't find any online references about a change in shoe regulations. Latest online reference to "brown shoes" I could find was a Cigar Afficiando magazine interview with one of the Blue Angels in 1998, which referred to him as wearing brown shoes.

The Army DID change from brown to black combat boots at some stage after Korea and before Vietnam.

android

One of the Regulars
Brown shoes are for USN aviation chiefs and officers in khakis.
Everybody else wears black shoes with khakis.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
Good lord. Just when I thought the US uniform couldn't get any worse...it does. We look like a bunch of Angolan special forces or something!

I dont think the changes have met with raves, but then again some folks hate radical change. The desertcamo pattern has changed in the years between DesertStorm & EnduringFreedom. Anything to give the troops an edge. The desert terrain & the urban setting demands a lot from the camo.
I hope this works well for them.
But it does look kinda odd.

As for the good ole days, I had a pal who fought in NewGuinea. As a combat troop, he really disliked seeing officers show up in khakis, or as he called them, " suntans."
-b

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
My Uncle's Footlocker

I've enjoyed the discussion about WWII roughouts and vintage boots reminding me of my uncle's footlocker. He was at D-Day and made it thru Europe till the end. I'm trying to bring up pictures of his footwear right out of his footlocker that look similiar to what's been discussed... roughout ankle boots and toe capped laceups. The ankle boots are dated 1943. They are a size 8 1/2 c, but I wear a 9 D and they fit my width and are about an inch long. I'm making a mess of my pictures, but this is my first attempt and I hope to get better...
Suggestions always welcome...and Best Wishes,
Chuck

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Low and Russet

My low quarters get worn about every other week, and always with my khakis, shirt and tie. I really really like them. The style is simple and classic and goes with about anything.

I want a pair of these someday:

200136profile.JPG

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Paddy,

Like you, I'm a big fan of the Marine boondockers. Last time this subject came up however, someone pointed out McQueen was actually wearing the Army version of that boot...the slightly different one with rivet reinforcement. No matter...they are nearly identical. I wear my reproductions with khakis and jeans and- when I'm feeling a bit Virgil Hilts- an A2 also. They are my fave WWII footwear, bar none!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats