Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Combat Fashion?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I know the title sounds a bit strange, that there would be style in WW2 combat. But there was plenty! I am a collector of American WW2 militaria and have seen style in almost every piece of military clothing, whether combat or dress uniforms. So, I thought I would start this thread about various American WW2 uniforms and the style that is infused in them. Feel free to jump in!
Billy

---------------------------------------------------

The M41 jacket was the first "field jacket" specifically designed and used for combat by the U.S. Army and at times the Marines. At the time most militaries were still using wool service tunics for combat and dress alike and the M41, along with the concept of layering, was somewhat of a radical movement away from traditional. The M41 replaced the M1939 wool four-pocket service coat in combat while the M1939 wol jacket was retained for dress and parade use.
The M41 was the brainchild of General Parsons and meant it to be a jacket that was more comfortable and loose-fitting than the M1939 wool service jacket. The M41 resembles a civilian windbreaker rather than a combat jacket (some higher ranking officers commented that the M41 and the wool service shirt and trousers looked more suited for the golf course rather than combat).
The M41 has a cotton shell and a wool flannel lining. Five buttons and a zipper close the front and each sleeve has two adjustment buttons on the cuff. The jacket also has adjustment flaps at the bottom of the back. The jacket is waist-length and has two slash pockets at the front. The M41 version of the Parson's jacket (there was also the "M38" version that will be discussed a bit later) also had epaulettes on the shoulders.
Now we get into the more vintage style of the jacket. The jacket had a belted back for a more fitted wear, presumably to prevent bunching while wearing web gear and combat equipment. The M41 also had a bi-swing back to allow for better flexibility and comfort. These two traits, combined with the waist-length and lapels, creates a classic look in this jacket. Also, on some later versions a gusset was added in the armpit area to improve arm movement as the armholes are high and very tight in the armpits, especially when wool and/or HBT fatigue uniforms were worn underneath as they were intended to be. The color of the M41 varied from pea-green to golden tan depending upon the manufacturer so "khaki" M41 jackets are not the law but only one variation. Some were quite green, especially the Navy deck version which differed slightly from the Army version.
The M41's light color made the wearer conspicuous because of its tendency to become dirty and grubby after a short time of wear. The jacket itself was also rather light, offering little protection from the cold and rain even with many layers underneath. M41s were prone to fraying along the collar, the cuffs and the bottom of the jacket. The zippers also broke rather easily. However, even with these drawbacks and the production of the M41's replacement, the M43 combat jacket, the M41 jacket soldiered on through to the end of the war. It has become an icon of the America combat soldier of WW2.

All photos are from atthefront.com.

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

Three unissued Parsons jackets showing different colors.

The M38 jacket was actually the very first version of the Parson's jacket. It was a bit heavier than the M41 version since the shell was made out of the same heavier material as the M42 paratrooper jacket and the winter combat (tanker) jacket. The M38 did not have epaulettes, two instead of three adjustment buttons at the bottom on each side of the back and had buttoned flaps over the slash pockets. The M38 version is less known and more rare than the M41 version. It was issued in limited numbers and used throughout the war by officers and enlisted men alike.

All photos are from atthefront.com.

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

Billy

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Well, I am not sure that *every* item of American gear had style. I mean, look at the steel pot helmet. I am starting to think the design of the thing made it incapable of being worn in anything other than a goofy fashion.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, in a steel pot everyone looks like either Willie, Joe, or Sad Sack. :)

I read somewhere that the reason for the combat jacket was that peacetime soldiers would have the dress blouses cut very tight because they thought it looked snappy. Supposedly this happens, or happened, in every peacetime fighting force.

When the Marines shipped out to Greenland in '41, they did so in Class A greens with overcoats, campaign hats, even square ties and collar bars.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Quatermaster quote about the 1940 uniform situation

"After World War I, for reasons of economy, it was decided to discard the dress uniform and make the so-called 'service uniform' of olive drab woolen cloth do for both field and garrison wear. Officers and enlisted men, in an endeavor to make a military dress appearance, wore their uniforms rather tight, and as someone has expressed it, the Army was prepared for fighting in Maine in summer and Florida in winter.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
Well, I am not sure that *every* item of American gear had style. I mean, look at the steel pot helmet. I am starting to think the design of the thing made it incapable of being worn in anything other than a goofy fashion.

Like I said, most WW2 military clothing had style. The Ike jacket, the officer's dress jacket, the Mackinaw, the wool four-pocket service jacket, the M43 jacket, even the 1st pattern HBT's and perhaps later pattern HBT's had civilian influence/styling. Ever heard of the "M44 OD double-breasted combat suit"?

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

Okay, maybe not that much influence but you get the idea... :p
Billy

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I cant stand the look of the M43 combat jacket or its descendants. I suppose cuz most guys wear it in such a dishevelled manner.
But it is incredibly functional.

but I do think the paratrooper jkt was snazzy
heres a good pic of the two together
Hashey.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
Actually, I cant stand the look of the M43 combat jacket or its descendants. I suppose cuz most guys wear it in such a dishevelled manner.
But it is incredibly functional.

but I do think the paratrooper jkt was snazzy
heres a good pic of the two together
Hashey.jpg

You're right, the M43 can look pretty messy at times. Several generals disliked it because it looked "unsoldierly" and tried to block it's adoption by the Army. Quite functional as you said, I can stuff the pockets full of crap. But that's for a later post...

I don't have an M42 paratrooper jacket, repop or original, but have always liked it's looks, especially the belt. Although some people don't look good in an M42 for some reason. [huh]

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Well the M43 has that drawstring. So it you pull it tight & wear it with a pistol belt, you can get that soldierly hourglass look.

I've been told that the paratrooper jkt has the slanted pockets so you can reach in if youre trapped in a tree.
Malarky.
Those pockets are cool, but if youve got your loadbearing webbing on, plus the parachute harness....I really dont see a slanted pocket helping u much.

Actually, the M42 paratrooper cargo pants got me into the paratrooper look.
I'm a big fan of RobertCApa & he jumped with the 82nd.
I have a photo of a friend still wearing his M42jump jkt in th `50s as a photography jkt.

heres a good one of Capa in paratroop uniform & cameras.
Very dapper
rodger1.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'll continue this thread.

---------------------------------

The M-41 field jacket that was described in the first post of this thread was found to be inadequate even though it saw service through the whole of the Second World War Two. The OD3 (khaki) color faded and dirtied easily, making the jacket easy to see after moderate wear. The cuffs as well as the collar frayed easily and the slit pockets could not hold many items. And, although it was lined with wool, the M-41 did not keep the wearer warm in cold conditions.

Development of the M-43 began early in the war and was extensive. The M-43 jacket was meant to be a single part of a group of new and modernized M-43 combat clothing and gear that included new combat trousers, double buckle boots, entrenching tool, a billed hat and a combat pack, better known as the "jungle" pack. However, some of these items saw little combat use, though the M-43 jacket, e-tool and double buckle boots saw extensive combat as well as the "jungle" pack, though mostly in the Pacific theater. This M-43 series of clothing and equipment was meant to update an otherwise outdated collection of combat clothing and equipment that was in use at that time. Different types of combat troops had specialized uniforms and often equipment (like the M42 parachutist's jump uniforms) and and the military leadership wanted to do away with these specialized uniforms, replacing them with a single standardized combat loadout. The M-43 series was the answer.

The M-43 jacket was meant to give the U.S. soldier the advantage in combat. Following in its predecessor in theory, the M-43 was not constructed out of wool but rather sateen. This often gives it a sheen in certain light. Also, like the M-41 jacket the M-43 was meant to be worn over a wool shirt and other clothing, utilizing the layering method. Unlike the M-41, the M-43 is not waist-length but rather is longer and more 'bloused' at the bottom. It has four pockets with concealed buttons: two patch breast pockets and two internal skirt pockets. The front was also secured by six buttons, concealed so they would not be ripped of by brush and clutter in the heat of battle. An internal pull-string creates the look and feel of a belted-back, pulling the jacket tight around the waist for better movement and the placement of equipment. The M-43 was the green OD7 color rather than the OD3.

Testing of the new jacket took place in Italy during early 1944 and received high praise. One officer stated that his men could "live out of their pockets for weeks" and this was not an exaggeration. Multiple grenades, magazines and clips could be carried in the spacious pockets. Even with the praise it recieved, several generals including General Omar Bradley thought it inferior to the wool overcoat and that it looked "unsoldierly", delaying its issue to the front lines.:eusa_doh: Combat units began receiving the M-43 jacket in large numbers by Fall 1944, though it would not completely replace the M-41 jacket and other specialized uniforms. Every Army unit would eventually adopt the M-43 although paratroopers wanted to keep their M-42 uniforms because of its elite status. A very few paratroopers did just that and shunned the M-43 for their beloved M-42.

The M-43 jacket soldiered on after the war and into the Korean War until it was replaced by the M-52 jacket which was very similar in design to the M-43. The M-43's influence is easily found in the Vietnam-era M-65 jacket. The M-43 founded the basis for most combat jackets now found in a majority of modern militaries, in a way being the father of today's combat uniforms while the M-41 is the grandaddy.

Of note is the M-43 combat trouser that was to be issued with the jacket but often was not. It was also made of sateen and had slit pockets. Paratroopers used these trousers often and attached one spacious hip pocket on the outside of each leg. Infantry troops used these trousers less often.

Hashey.jpg

The M-43 is on the left, the M-42 parachutist's uniform on the right.

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

Standing guard, Yokohama, Japan, September 1945. Also note the M-43 double buckle boots.

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

My original M-43 jacket on the left with various other combat items. Note the internal pull-string around the waist of the jacket. This could be tightened as needed.

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

The M-65 jacket, son of the M-43. The M-43 influence can easily be seen.

More to come, possibly the M-43 double buckle boot for the next post. ;)
Billy

Rooster

Practically Family
Great posts, keep them coming! I'd like to see the same thing on british battledress if anybody has the capability.:)

Trotsky

A-List Customer
What about the ETO jacket? It was essentially a cross between the Parsons jacket (not the M41) and British BD. I ordered an example from What Price Glory. After trimming the sleeves up it's a warm, though waist length, winter jacket.

drkfrau

New in Town
WWII German Uniforms

German uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss, a famous fashion designer of the time. Womens' uniforms had numerous styles, from suits to jackets and trousers. Red Cross nurses had pretty pinstripe dresses and aprons, also gray skirts and blouses with aprons. Those who served in North Africa wore off-white "safari" style jackets and box pleat skirts. How can I post some pics of them?

Michele

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
MrBern said:
heres a good one of Capa in paratroop uniform & cameras.
Very dapper
rodger1.jpg

Can someone with extensive knowledge of M43 and M42 jackets take a real close look at Capa in that picture, please?

Capa had a specially tailored 'Press Correspondents' uniform made on Saville Row, before shipping out to North Africa. Supposedly it was a hybrid of the British and American uniforms of the time. This picture of Capa and George Rodger was taken in Naples / Italy in 1943 and I've never been sure if that is the outfit Capa had made. Take a look at the waist pockets. Isn't the trim / reinforcement tape missing? Also note the slant on the pocket flap.

Capa had champagne taste and being a photographer, a beer budget.

He went in with the first wave on Omaha beach on D-Day, with two Contax cameras and a brand new Burberry trench coat. He dumped the Burberry in surf once the ramp on the landing craft came down and the German machine guns opened up.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
drkfrau said:
German uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss, a famous fashion designer of the time. Womens' uniforms had numerous styles, from suits to jackets and trousers. Red Cross nurses had pretty pinstripe dresses and aprons, also gray skirts and blouses with aprons. Those who served in North Africa wore off-white "safari" style jackets and box pleat skirts. How can I post some pics of them?

Michele

German uniforms were excellent, fitted with very close standards, at least warly war.

To post pictures you can go to photobucket.com, get an account and upload the pictures there. Then you just have to type "
" into the text field, insert the link to that picture inbetween the above code and submit your reply when you're done. Example:

IMG]

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Robert Conway said:
Can someone with extensive knowledge of M43 and M42 jackets take a real close look at Capa in that picture, please?

Capa had a specially tailored 'Press Correspondents' uniform made on Saville Row, before shipping out to North Africa. Supposedly it was a hybrid of the British and American uniforms of the time. This picture of Capa and George Rodger was taken in Naples / Italy in 1943 and I've never been sure if that is the outfit Capa had made. Take a look at the waist pockets. Isn't the trim / reinforcement tape missing? Also note the slant on the pocket flap.

He went in with the first wave on Omaha beach on D-Day, with two Contax cameras and a brand new Burberry trench coat. He dumped the Burberry in surf once the ramp on the landing craft came down and the German machine guns opened up.

Here's a blow-up of Capa. I'm only putting the link because it's a large picture.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/rodger1edited.jpg

Here are some close-up of the area you asked about:

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

It looks like there is tape along the edge of the pocket, though it is hard to see. As for the slant, normal M42s had a slight slant to the pocket flap. That being said, it could be his tailor-made uniform. However, from the details I see it looks like a normal M42.
Billy :)

Edit: I also see two snap buttons on the sleeve, though only one on the collar. Of course the angle isn't the best, but some details are visible.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch, I love this parargraph fiorm the site you linked to:

"The most popular, typical and colorful item, however, was the olive drab, felt field or "campaign" hat with wide brim and peaked top. It was the pride of all real "salty" Marines of the period. Its ancestry went back to the frontier U.S. cavalry in the late 19th century. Marines in the Fleet Marine Force battalions wore this hat with a special jaunty flair, and the Corps' emblem on the front was often greenish from the salt water sprayed on it during landing exercises. None of this uniform clothing was designed for or especially suitable for a wet-cold climate such as that of Iceland"

dean

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
The tailored Correspondent uniform was his ClassA uniform. As it was made in the UK, he fretted that the styling was closer to UK officer wear instead of US.
This snazzy uniform is a standard paratrooper jump suit.
He jumped in Sicily w/ the 82nd in `43
The pocket reinforcements you are looking for were done for D-Day in Normandy`44. Those uniforms also had reinforcemnts to the elbows & knees & all pockets.They were not tape, but wide strips of tenting canvas that replaces the sides & bottoms of the pockets so they would not blow out on a hard landing.
Incidentally, the styling of the slanted pockets was brought back to th airborne in VietNam uniforms.

Robert Conway said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner