Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Combat Fashion?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Like the man said, the 1942 paratrooper jacket, currently repro-d by Buzz Rickson, is a very stylish garment. It seems to have been pitched somewhere between a safari jacket and a combat smock/windproof anorak.

Perhaps it's just because vintage-style military kit is commonplace in urban settings these days, but the 1942 jacket still stands up, style-wise. I suspect it's field functionality would be good in various environments, from temperate to sub-tropical.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Frankly, I dont think the positioning of the pockets are very good on the Buzz repro.
Like any wartime jkt, there were variations....but for me the intended positioning wouldve been very angled, not flat across as on the Buzz.

Heres a screen capture from History Chnl.
3288180667_41a2897c79.jpg

Note how the breast pockets are so slanted they almost point up at the shoulder epaulettes.

In the DeTrez book on Easy Company vet, Forrest Guth, his jkt has very angled pockets as well. Tho you do see some others in jump school who are more like the Buzz repro.
Guth had some fabulous gear & modifications.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Looks like Willis & Geiger made the M42

rounds as well . . . . albeit in the 1980's and 90's . . . with their own brand of styling

>>BROKEN PHOTO LINK<<

I wish FILSON would pull their head out and make some WW2 styles in their tin and shelter cloth fabrics . . .

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
blouse

Dont forget the Airborne went back to a similar jump jacket/shirt/blouse in VietNam. There are different versions, some with buttoms going thru the pocket, others with th buttons hidden underneath.
The WWII version is snapped.

2253452837_2d20411d44.jpg

2494971440_22bd4848dd.jpg

I think JohnWayne wore one in TheGreenBerets, but I cant find a good pic.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Those were not an "Airborne" item for Vietnam, but the standard issue jungle fatigues. I believe that, that particular uniform was still used by the U.S. Army through part of the 1980's.

Cheers,
Scott

Rufus

Practically Family
skbellis said:
Those were not an "Airborne" item for Vietnam, but the standard issue jungle fatigues. I believe that, that particular uniform was still used by the U.S. Army through part of the 1980's.

Cheers,
Scott

OG 107s... usually in Olive green rip stop cotton, prior to the woodland camo issue.

The early issue versions did sport far more slanted pockets, like the WW2 issue Para jacket though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OG107

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
skbellis said:

Cheers,
Scott

Oops, Yeah, the Jungle fatigues.
I see so many of them with jump wings or 101st patches, I assumed they were airborne. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, back to WWII, I like the early prototype for the jump jacket of `41.
Does anyone have pix of the matching pants?
For a while, ATF.com made repros of the jkt, but not the trousers.
HughesM41.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
BTW, back to WWII, I like the early prototype for the jump jacket of `41.
Does anyone have pix of the matching pants?
For a while, ATF.com made repros of the jkt, but not the trousers.
HughesM41.jpg

Somewhere in the archives on my other compy I have a photo of some airborne guys (in North Africa?), one of which is wearing an M41 jump jacket with matching jump pants. I'll see if I can't dig it up.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
The M-41/42 Jumpsuit was designed by Major William Yarborough. He also help design the Jump wing . The upper chest pockets were angled some say to access them with a harness on. The Jumpsuit were made of a cotton poplin
that was bad for a field uniform. This was before the Rip Stop we see now in BDUs. That is why they were modified with canvas. I've read stories of Paratroopers over loading their trouser pockets. On opening shock their contents would blow out of the bottom. One trooper in N Africa said when he landed said his pockets swung forward. Rip ! right up the back to the belt line he was not wearing ODs under. He ran around with his butt in the breeze. Superseded by the M-43 (issued to all troops) the Airborne modified the trousers. The Jumpsuit design disappeared for about 18 years. In the early 1960s William Yarborough took command of the Special Forces. The first thing he did was re-introduce his beloved Jumpsuit. Now known as Jungle Utilities the lines are pretty obvious. Once found in then Surplus Stores for cheap they've become rare. Now along with Yarboroughs 1941/42 Jumpsuit his Viet-Nam Jungle fatigues are also being Repro'd. A truly classic design.

filfoster

One Too Many
WW2 Style

I have read many opinions that the WW2 era 'pinks and greens' were the most attractive uniforms ever worn by the modern US Army. I would agree, compared to what followed, perhaps not what preceeded.
Glad to see Rollin's At The Front plugged above. Fine quality clothing sold by a real business.
Why does every war-era M41 jacket I have ever seen have white paint somewhere on it?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The angled chest pockets make for easier access- right hand into left chest pocket and vice versa. Simple.

B
T

Eh, not so much with the loadbearing straps & parachute harness on.
But it sure looks cool.

standard pack, look how the straps cover the breast pockets.
2469651870_f917a208e0.jpg

Now imagine that with the Chute Harness & reserve over it all.
2824775464_6b3332f003.jpg

'
3022711978_bd5298a717.jpg

With pix lik this, its easy to imagine why paratroopers prepping for Normandy began sewing spare pockets to their sleeves for easier access.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
filfoster said:
I have read many opinions that the WW2 era 'pinks and greens' were the most attractive uniforms ever worn by the modern US Army. I would agree, compared to what followed, perhaps not what preceeded.
Glad to see Rollin's At The Front plugged above. Fine quality clothing sold by a real business.
Why does every war-era M41 jacket I have ever seen have white paint somewhere on it?

But isnt it ironic that the QM research indicated that polled soldiers wants new colors. And the following uniforms chosen were indicative of those preferences?
I love the WWII colors, but it seems that many vets were sick of them. Didnt kurt Vonnegut refer to the GIuniforms as 'Dog$^#% brown'...

check this out
Prestige of the Soldier
Dissatisfaction with the Army Uniform after World War II-1954:
http://www.qmfound.com/prestige_of_the_soldier_uniforms.htm

and this
The Army Dressed Up
Fashion Decrees Greenish-Grey for the Army Uniform in Place of Olive Drab, if the G.I. Approves the Change-1952
http://www.qmfound.com/army_dressed_up.htm

Edward

Bartender
MrBern said:
I just noted this shot of Kanye West at fashion week in NYC

20diary.600.jpg

I would hazard a guess that that's military fashion influence very much channelled via Jimi Hendrix...

arts-graphics-2008_1183484a.jpg

The story goes that Jimi's jacket was a genuine, original Crimean War period jacket (which, I guess, in the 60s wasn't that different from the idea of wearing 30s vintage now); some would have you believe that the braiding pattern (which was significant) denoted that it had originally been worn by a doctor of vetinary medicine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner