Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Espionage

Story

I'll Lock Up
Dec 22, 3:02 PM EST

Woman Who Spotted Nazi Spies in '44 Dies

BANGOR, Maine (AP) -- A woman who had a key role in a little-known incident in World War II - when she spotted two Nazi spies who arrived by U-boat along the Maine coast - has died. Mary Forni, of Hancock, was 91.

Forni died Dec. 16, according to Hancock town officials.

Forni recalled the incident in a 2001 story in the Bangor Daily News. She reported that on Nov. 29, 1944, she saw the two men on the side of a rural road as she drove home from a card game in Hancock Point, near Bar Harbor on the central Maine coast.

The two men, German Erich Gimpel and American defector William Colepaugh, had slipped ashore from a German U-boat that had entered Maine waters.

"They just weren't like normal Mainers in November," Forni said in 2001. "You just never saw anybody walking without boots when it was snowy like that. It's a wonder I didn't stop and offer them a ride."

Forni called a friend, the wife of deputy sheriff Dana Hodgkins. Forni and the Hodgkinses' 17-year-old son, Harvard, who also reported seeing the pair, were later questioned by authorities. In January 1945, then-FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover announced the capture of the two men as spies in New York City.

Richard Gay, a retired government official who wrote a book about the incident, said Forni and Harvard Hodgkins were the first to sound the alarm that the Germans had landed, "and it was their alert that launched the FBI dragnet."

"They are New England patriots, no less than Paul Revere, and deserve full credit for their place in Maine and U.S. history," said Gay, who attended a 2004 event celebrating the 60th anniversary of the landing.

He described Forni as "a feisty woman with a quick wit and a keen sense of humor."

The two men had left the U-boat with loaded revolvers and more than $100,000 in cash and diamonds. Captured after Colepaugh broke with Gimpel and turned himself in, they were tried in secret military tribunals and sentenced to hanging. They were spared by President Truman after President Roosevelt's sudden death in April 1945 as the war with Germany was nearing its end.

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the additional links. There is so much information out there - I took a trip to our university library yesterday and had to enlist my husband's help in carrying away all the books I found on espionage in the war.

Stony

New in Town
My wife's former boss passed away a few years ago and we happened to catch his obituary in our local paper. Unknown to my wife is that he was a member of the OSS and was Dutch. He parachuted into occupied Europe several times. He was eventually captured by the Germans and put in Dachau concentration camp. He survived the camp and became an interpreter at the Nurmburg trials after the war. My wife told me that because of his accent, sometimes kids in the theater would call him a Nazi. She said that used to get him extremely upset (imagine that).

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Spies

Some books that may help as well as background

Philip Knightly's biography of Kim Philby.

The book Spycatcher on the Ring of Five.

MelissaAnne said:
From the bit of research I've done so far, America really wasn't equipped with an intelligence agency at the outbreak of the war. I guess the whole "isolationism" policy might have had something to do with that.:rolleyes:

Cordell Hull summarized the prevailing attitude very well when he was handed the intel on Pearl Harbor and refused to read it:
"Gentlemen do not read each other's mail."
Maybe FDR shoulda appointed him to the Department of Needlepoint*, rather than State...

*No offense intended to any actual needlepointers, especially if Rosey Grier sees this thread...:D

Story

I'll Lock Up
LONDON - Pearl Cornioley, who parachuted into France as a secret agent during World War II to help arm and organize the Resistance, has died. She was 93.

Cornioley was one of Britain’s greatest agents operating behind German lines, according to historian Michael R.D. Foot. who has written extensively about British special operations in France.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/obituaries/general/view.bg?articleid=1078682&srvc=rss

drjones

A-List Customer
spy museum

holy crap! I didnt even know that was in washington! Ive been there twice and never saw that! *POUTS*

Guess I have to go back.

DRJONES

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Retro Rob said:
Check out the Spy Museum in DC
http://www.spymuseum.org/
Great place with a great book store.

I haven't been to DC either, but it's on my "must see" list. My dad (a big history buff, as well) went last summer and had a blast. He'd call me and say, "I'm standing in the WW2 memorial" or wherever he happened to be and I'd be supremely jealous. lol

The spy museum looks amazing!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw that about the French lady in the paper. Her story is probably the basis for just about every "French underground" theme ever written. Art imitates life.:)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Retro Rob said:
Check out the Spy Museum in DC
http://www.spymuseum.org/
Great place with a great book store.

I visited that place in May 2005.

It's fun to see all the vintage spy gear and realize you can buy better equipment today at Circuit City (et al) for dirt cheap prices.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Ive just finished reading a couple of good books about 'Vera Atkins' - an amazing story - see "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Atkins"

Sarah Helm (2005). A Life in Secrets: The Story of Vera Atkins and the Lost Agents of SOE. Little, Brown, London.

William Stevenson (2006). Spymistress: The Life of Vera Atkins, the Greatest Female Secret Agent of World War II. Arcade Publishing.

Alan

Naphtali

Practically Family
MelissaAnne said:
Hi all -

I need to start doing research on WWII espionage for an upcoming project of mine. I have quite a few books on the OSS, but I'm looking for more information about agents who might have infiltrated Germany between the years of 1939-1943.

Also - any basic books on espionage from the British perspective or other European nations during WWII would be appreciated, as well. I've found a few, but I'd really like to get your opinions!

Thanks in advance...

Melissa
Melissa:

Were I completing your project, among steps I would do include searching for biographies of individuals known to have been in OSS or SOE or the Soviet equivalent. For example, a professional baseball player named Moe Berg was in OSS, I believe. Cary Grant was reputed to work for British intelligence (referral by author Stuart Kaminsky), German-born Herb Schwartz worked with OSS and CIA (a family friend), and so on.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
A few more books...

Here are some older titles you might find in used bookstores, library purges or discard sales, and fundraiser book sales:

Donovan: America's Master Spy (1982) Richard Dunlop
Donovan of OSS (1970) Corey Ford
No Bugles For Spies (1962) Robert Hayden Alcorn
Of Spies & Stratagems (1963) Stanley Lovell
Secret Service: 33 Centuries of Espionage, chapters 85-89 (1967) Richard Wilmer Rowan
The Secret War Report of the OSS (1976) Anthony Cave Brown

...and as I keep digging through my boxes (I'm out of bookshelf space) I'll see if I have any more titles to forward on to you.

Also check out the website www.osssociety.org

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful suggestions, everyone! (I was MelissaAnne the last time I was at the lounge (back in 2005, I believe) and had to change my ID when I came back). I haven't gone back to that project in a long time, but I still have ideas noodling around in my brain so I'm going to make a list of all the great resources here.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
female British agent obit

Type Pearl Cornioley into your search engine. She died last month at 93 and was one tough lady. She parachuted into France and help organize the Resistance. She was responsible for helping 1000 Germans meet their maker and disrupting railroads and convoys hundreds of times. Her exploits became the basis for the novel and movie "Charlotte Gray" starring Cate Blanchett. A good one if you haven't seen it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Jedburgh OSS said:
Her exploits became the basis for the novel and movie "Charlotte Gray" starring Cate Blanchett. A good one if you haven't seen it.

GREAT movie! I really enjoyed it, though I tried to read the book and had a hard time of it.

drjones

A-List Customer
spy perspectives

I have a book at home about the Gestapo and its role and activities. Ill look up the title and either post it here or email it to you here.

DRJONES

MelissaAnne said:
Hi all -

I need to start doing research on WWII espionage for an upcoming project of mine. I have quite a few books on the OSS, but I'm looking for more information about agents who might have infiltrated Germany between the years of 1939-1943.

Also - any basic books on espionage from the British perspective or other European nations during WWII would be appreciated, as well. I've found a few, but I'd really like to get your opinions!

Thanks in advance...

Melissa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner