Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII flight jacket ??

andriux

New in Town
Hi everybody. I am very new to this forum.
Anyone that could tell me something about this jacket I just bought? Is it a US pilot jacket from WWII in your opinion? Or Luftwaffe? Or just a leather jacket??
Thanks a lot in advance. Andy, Italy.
po1a.jpg

po1b.jpg

po1c.jpg

po1d.jpg

po1e.jpg

po1f.jpg

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Your jacket has some key characteristics of a ww2 flight jacket, two front patch pockets that don't seem to have side entry hand warmer pockets ( hard to tell though) the lining is very similar to issue flight jackets from the period. A hook closure at the neck and a one piece back which were very common at the time.

But your jacket also has some civilian components to it, the first is the lack of ribbed knitting for cuffs and at the waist of the jacket, also along the waist in the front instead of a normal closure in the front it has a somewhat belted appearance going off to one side to add a bit of flair to the jacket. Button closures on the wrists. Another non military component is the addition of the pocket on the inside of the jacket.*

It even has the ghost stitching from a patch on the front of the jacket.*

Now from first glance it would appear you have a private purchase US A-2...BUT...the zipper is a ZIPP brand zipper which was a German Manufactured brand between 1935-1945, and is commonly found on Luftwaffe Jackets. There were Luftwaffe jackets in this style during the war. But I can't divulge into them as I don't know enough about Luftwaffe jackets to say more on it. Hopefully someone on here can say more.

Really cool jacket though, where did you get it?

andriux

New in Town
Thank you very much for your answer. I got the jacket on ebay-Austria for something like 65 usd. The guy who sold it said it was a WWII US pilot, but as you also noticed, because of the Zipp zipper I believe it is more of a german jacket, maybe Luftwaffe. I couldn't find any DRP on the Zipper though, nor any other stamp or name. Also, you are right, it doesn't have side entry hand warmer pockets. Would you treat the jacket with some leather conditioner? At the moment the leather is very dry. If it could help to date the jacket, or if anybody is interested I can post other detailed photos.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Looks to me like a WWII A-2 tailored to the owners liking. The waist, cuffs, zip, and liner appear to all be modifications.

Thats what I thought too, but since my last post I have done a little research on luftwaffe jackets. It was very common for a lot of styles of Luftwaffe jackets to have an inside pocket with a button closure in the style of this jacket, also the plain leather waisted jacket with the faux belt tab closure in the front was also very common on luftwaffe jackets. The button closures on the wrists is another characteristic seen on luftwaffe jackets. The Zipp brand zipper I think is the sell point on this jacket, as those were the primary providers of zippers for Luftwaffe jackets. Also the overall cut of the jacket is similar to some private purchase luftwaffe flight jackets.

I would say it is a luftwaffe flight jacket, or it is a post war german leather jacket private purchase. I'd send pics to people who might know more about this if I were you.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Dunno. It has the name tag stitch holes, the same size as USAAF name tags. The back shows were the coat hook box stitches are ( just bellow collar). Also has throat hooks. The waist band leather does not match body hide and the cuffs look like the seems were cut allow for mods. Close ups of the zipper stitching would be good to see if the zip was replaced.Without a spec tag it could be PP A-2. If what you are saying is true about german flight jackets, the point could be made for a captured A-2 modified by a german pilot to appear german. I have seen pics of german pilots wearing A-2s and B-3s. I would bet even money that the body is an A-2. Any thoughts Andrew?

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a modified A2. Possibly done post war.
My thoughts exactly. The waist part seems newer - or being another kind of leather - than the rest of the jacket.
The knittings have probably been toot old/torn and have been renewed by wrist closures as well as the waist part. And while they were at it, they changed the zipper and put in a extra pocket.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24