Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Photos - Taken / Collected by Family Members

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0014.jpg

How many eventually went into the service?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Four went into the service. The oldest, Uncle John sitting to the left of his Mother also served in World War I in the Navy. He died in Manila in the closing days of the War and is buried at Golden Gate National Cemetary in San Bruno, CA.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Four went into the service. The oldest, Uncle John sitting to the left of his Mother also served in World War I in the Navy. He died in Manila in the closing days of the War and is buried at Golden Gate National Cemetary in San Bruno, CA.

My word; to have gone through The Great War, only to later pass away towards the end of World War II. Your great-grandmother must have been devastated.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
He wasn't even a combat casualty. He was working on a scaffold on a ship, there was an explosion on the ship, (engine blew?)and it sent him flying in the air. And the Navy didn't even tell his wife that he was dead until about 1949.

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow! Excellent photos all! And very interesting story, murena!

I'll have to try to get some pictures of my grandfather up here. He was regular Army under Patton in the European theater; fought almost all major battles including D-day, Battle of the Bulge, etc. Liberated many camps and fought all the way through to Berlin. Purple Heart and Bronze star among a few others.

PBI1944

New in Town
Just a quick post to everyone who has posted photos: THANK YOU for sharing those with us. Your grandfather/mother were exclusive members of The Greatest Generation and its wonderful to see family photos like this. Keep em coming!

Regards,
Mick

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Excellent photos all! And very interesting story, murena!

I'll have to try to get some pictures of my grandfather up here. He was regular Army under Patton in the European theater; fought almost all major battles including D-day, Battle of the Bulge, etc. Liberated many camps and fought all the way through to Berlin. Purple Heart and Bronze star among a few others.

Please do so!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I have posted a few of these in some other vintage photo threads, but thought I might post them again.

My grandfather was a cook in the Navy in the Pacific Theatre in WWII. He was on the seaplane tender USS Avocet when Pearl Harbor was attacked and served in many areas of the Pacific during the war.

These photos were taken right after the war given the age of my dad in the photos.

My grandparents, great grandfather and my dad.
389448534.jpg

Grandad
389448519.jpg

Grandparents
389448509.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
:eeek: Really? I mean it's just up there in Marin. I've never been there. I figured it was just a bunch of weeds by now. :eeek:

Most of it has been renovated, including the old hangers. The post theater is still there, officers quarters, etc. Some of the married officers homes are still unoccupied, though. The Coast Guard also has an active duty station there.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I have posted a few of these in some other vintage photo threads, but thought I might post them again.

My grandfather was a cook in the Navy in the Pacific Theatre in WWII. He was on the seaplane tender USS Avocet when Pearl Harbor was attacked and served in many areas of the Pacific during the war.

These photos were taken right after the war given the age of my dad in the photos.

My grandparents, great grandfather and my dad.
389448534.jpg

Grandad
389448519.jpg

Grandparents
389448509.jpg

Niiice photos, Chasseur! Your grandfather looks mighty happy to be back home.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
This photo was taken in May 1945 at little field airport in Vysoké Mýto/Hohenmauth-Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren. Planes were He 111's. Persons on photo are my aunt and uncle, child is unidentified :)
image034.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters