Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Quizz - Prize for the winner!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hell's bells, I've just realised I haven't sent the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am awfully sorry Mister Cairo, you should have reminded me. I've been a bit busy this year with my first child and new job so it slipped my mind, not that that's a very good excuse. It's in the post today. Sorry once again.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
BTW in relation to the quizz I think it might be Sambo. If I've won I'll donate my prize to Mister Cairo for undue tardiness!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wait a minute, we're not talking about the mascot black Lab of the Dam Busters group, are we? If that's the case then count me out of this conversation.
It's a loathsome phrase that has no business being used in polite society. An obscenity.
But you did say dachshund . . . . [huh]

Last edited:

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Congratulations! We have a winner!

Please send me a private message with your address and I post it tomorrow.

"Wiener" short for "Wienerschnitzel" can be found on page 98 of "We Will Remember Them" (Guy Gibson and the Dam Busters), by Jan van den Driesschen and Eve Gibson. The Erskine Press, 2004.

Not a bad little book. It has a 1976 aerial photo of 617 Squadron members revisiting the Mohne dam which gives a real impression of the size of the dam. The people gathered along the top of the dam look like flyspecks.

Thank you all for playing!

John

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Lolly!

I'm pleased it was Weiner. I'd tried to do a tricky Google Books search to see if I could find it and it came up with Sambo. I was thinking oh dear, a black lab called you know what and a dachshund called the other.

Thank goodness it was only a popular German food ;)

B-24J

One of the Regulars

Hi,

The book has been posted! I sent a PM with the tracking number.

It should be a fun read. For example I did not know that the RAF bomber crews who flew the Lancasters in the movie had to learn to fly the planes (They flew the more modern Lincoln) not at sixty feet as the Dambusters did, but rather at forty feet above the water. The director thought sixty feet looked too high!

Regards, John

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Thank you John, I am looking forward to reading it :)

In the spirit of this thread I will look through my bookcases for a suitable WW2 themed book (and think of a tricky question) & conduct another competition shortly. Thanks again.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Hell's bells, I've just realised I haven't sent the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am awfully sorry Mister Cairo, you should have reminded me. I've been a bit busy this year with my first child and new job so it slipped my mind, not that that's a very good excuse. It's in the post today. Sorry once again.

I'm not complaining, but as the book hasn't arrived yet, may I ask by what means you sent it??????????

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I just watched the Damn Busters on Netflix. I thought the dogs name was the N word. I thought to myself, that would never fly in todays society.. My hearing shot? IS the book differnt from the movie, dog name anyway...
anyway good movie

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I just watched the Damn Busters on Netflix. I thought the dogs name was the N word. I thought to myself, that would never fly in todays society.. My hearing shot? IS the book differnt from the movie, dog name anyway...
anyway good movie

Your hearing is fine. "Wienerschnitzel" was a different dog owned by the Gibson's, not the black Lab.

The movie is, "The Dam Busters". Now that you've seen the movie, by all means read the books.

"The Dam Busters", Paul Brickhill and then "Enemy Coast Ahead", Guy Gibson - be sure to get the "uncensored" version.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21