Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenactment Pics

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Thats exactly what we do too! I have 2 guys I'm in talks with right now getting their impressions together piece by piece if necessary depending on their finances. We have a guide book that I give them and I read it over with them and explain the points and the different between late and early war. We have an authenticity officer that gives final say on what needs to be worked out to be correct...and for the record...those aren't black boots in the above picture...I have to admit those have me stumped myself...those are or soaked russet boots!! He spilled water on them earlier that day and walked around in them...bad idea on his part to keep wearing them tho.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wow - those pics ae great!

You guys have so many cool toys! Did I count right, two M5's, two M8's (my personal favorite), a half-track, and bren carrier? WOW!

...as a dedicated Infantry reenactor of many periods, who over the years has sassed, teased, and joshed many a dismounted cavalier, my seasoned hat goes off to you guys. Your recon unit is the bees knees!

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Thanks you for your kind words! You would be entirely correct, my favorite is also the M8 its quiet and its fast! We've grown since those pics to an M5 Squadron, 4 M8s, an M4A3 Sherman and some other things. We plan to open up a small museum some day since the collection is growing we hope to one day be able to field all of our toys at a reenactment Thanks again!

p51

One Too Many
That second M-8 photo is downright incredible. I love it!
GranadaGuy617 said:
PICT0441.jpg
Argh, appears to be more modern eyewear (guy on the right)! Also, what is it with all the guys who have the big bushy moustaches in the hobby? They’re everywhere! I guess they’re CW re-enactors as well? I guess you could find a photo of a GI in WW2 with a soup strainer like that, but they weren’t common at all.
I have no issues with older or larger people (although plenty of people do have issues with this) in the hobby, but it beats me why some folks can’t learn how to use a razor. It’s just as important as getting a haircut!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
p51 said:
...what is it with all the guys who have the big bushy moustaches in the hobby? They’re everywhere! I guess they’re CW re-enactors as well? I guess you could find a photo of a GI in WW2 with a soup strainer like that, but they weren’t common at all....

Maybe he's Free French ;)

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
p51 said:
That second M-8 photo is downright incredible. I love it!
Argh, appears to be more modern eyewear (guy on the right)! Also, what is it with all the guys who have the big bushy moustaches in the hobby? They’re everywhere! I guess they’re CW re-enactors as well? I guess you could find a photo of a GI in WW2 with a soup strainer like that, but they weren’t common at all.
I have no issues with older or larger people (although plenty of people do have issues with this) in the hobby, but it beats me why some folks can’t learn how to use a razor. It’s just as important as getting a haircut!
s l

Nope, those are original Army Air Corps Sunglasses. Lol some guys like to keep mustaches some don't, the CHG doesn't discriminate. We don't allow full bears or goatees or anything like that, it has to be a military regulation mustache as well as haircut we do allow a 2-3 stubble though. Only one of those members was a CW reenactor and hes on the far left, hes one of my Sgts. Actually I have some pics of GIs sporting full beards! On hair cuts, I got my a$$ chewed out for not having a correct hair (it was too short) when others have had thier hair too long we give them a hair cut...just like in band of brothers...to the point of where everyone is chanting SCISSORS! SCISSORS!! LOL

Doc

New in Town
Dylan,
Greetings from Doc Block! Good to see you made to the FL. The M8 pic is slick. 2nd ID is a great unit and a good bunch of guys.

Davep

One of the Regulars
The pictures speak for themselves. But this magazine spread is the result of a group of Japanese reenactors who came to the November 2008 Camp Roberts battle.

JapMagScanAll.jpg

Davep

One of the Regulars
Yeah GI wearing Army Air Corp aviator sunglasses, would not have been seen, and certainly not while in combat. It's not even close to being authentic.

And while mustaches are perfectly fine, some like to cross the line on that one as well.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Dave, you are very much incorrect about GIs wearing AAC Sunglasses, the 2 organizations were based from the army and were also ground based. There was a lot of bartering between GIs and Airmen and also the Quartermaster also did black market trading.

I'm gonna quote someone,
It was a big war, with a couple million troops out there the biggest mistake is saying it never happened.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Like most things in reenacting, most people are trying to portray the common, not the unusual. But like anything, the exception is sought after. Weaing them in state side or on leave, but not in combat.

One reenacting group states this way
We are here to portray the normal look of the WWII soldier, not the exception

On the Mustache specs, sample standards

Mustaches must be trimmed to 1940's military style (British troops exempt). All mustaches must be trimmed above the upper lip line. It cannot extend past the edge of the mouth more that 1/4 inched and cannot drop down around the corners of the mouth

This from another source
Males will keep their face clean-shaven when in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Mustaches are permitted; if worn, males will keep mustaches neatly trimmed, tapered, and tidy. Mustaches will not present a chopped off or bushy appearance, and no portion of the mustache will cover the upper lip line or extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from the corners of the mouth

and another
(US) Military mustache: per Army and Marine regulations, a mustache is permitted as facial hair, but it must not extend past the outer/lateral edges of the mouth, and it must be trimmed such that it does not extend past the upper vermillion of the mouth (ie it cannot hang over the edge where the upper lip changes from flesh-colored to lip-colored); cf Army Regulation AR670-20

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Tankers wore sunglasses often, besides the goggles, and there are some pics of GIs wearing sunglasses. And all of our guys have regulation mustaches, isn't there a few in your unit that have mustaches as well?

El Guapo, thanks for the compliments!

Davep

One of the Regulars
Actually one of our guys did have unathentic mustache a year or so ago, and he was told to trim it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany