Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Widow Finally Finds Out What Happened to her Missing Husband

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
For 60 years, Peggy Harris thought her husband was MIA during World War II. But in 2012, she discovered he was KIA... and a hero.

[video]http://www.godvine.com/WWII-Widow-Finally-Finds-Out-What-Happened-to-her-Missing-Husband-1629.html[/video]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I watched this, too, and it left me with a few questions. If it was so simple to find out just by looking at his military records, why didn't she know sooner? Ff she finally wrote to her congressman to get answers, I'm assuming she's been trying to find out all these years, and that makes me wonder WHEN the records were corrected. I guess there are just some facts that we don't know about just from the video.

But oh, how heart-wrenching it is to know that she stayed married to him for the rest of her life, though I can't help but wonder what she missed out on...another husband, children, grandchildren...

Story

I'll Lock Up
I watched this, too, and it left me with a few questions. If it was so simple to find out just by looking at his military records, why didn't she know sooner? Ff she finally wrote to her congressman to get answers, I'm assuming she's been trying to find out all these years, and that makes me wonder WHEN the records were corrected. I guess there are just some facts that we don't know about just from the video.

But oh, how heart-wrenching it is to know that she stayed married to him for the rest of her life, though I can't help but wonder what she missed out on...another husband, children, grandchildren...

Melissa,

If a young widow doesn't have a strong support system capable of asking the *right* questions (by requesting a DD214), it's entirely likely that her Congressman's flunkies simply checked their files to see what answer their predecessors sent to Mrs. Harris.
The records were probably there, plain as day, all along with laziness & incompetence to blame more than the 'fog of war'.

As for her enduring emotional attachment, grief counseling for widows' PTSD has made extraordinary progress in the last two-three decades. Maybe with the right help, she would have moved on - and maybe she would have been content to just love only him.

LT Billie D. Harris tribute page
http://www.354thpmfg.com/BillieDHarris_part1.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24