Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Y’2 Leather Fit did I miss the mark?

HeavyHand39

New in Town
Hello Everyone,
I am new to FL, I’ve frequent the site, but have yet to join until recently. None of my friends/coworkers are into leather/denim etc as I am. If there is anyone who would know, it would be the wonder folks here on FL. So, selfishly I’ve come here for advice on this fit.

I recently purchased this Y’2 Leather FQHH jacket, after staring at it for so long, with the urge of getting into Horsehide leather. As I felt, was the next step/next tier of forever seeking fine garments. I’ve owned plenty of cowhide leather jackets, some better than others, and some lamb as well. All of course, have a different feel, weight, etc.

This jacket is stiff, the arms hurt a little, especially in the pits. I have worn it around the house as to break it in. It’s summer currently, and so wearing it out and about is not an option. I will say with each wear, it feels better. I’ve taken to the forums, asked questions to certain retailers and most say the same, just wear it, it will get better. And as I know this, I can’t help but beat myself about making the right choice in size. Should I of gone with a bigger size and swam in it, or keep close to my size and deal with it? These are the questions I constantly think about. Will it “open up” as most say or do I take the loss and stick to what I already own?

Thank you all

I usually wear a size 38 as I am 5’6 155lbs chest size 39
Jacket measurements are
Chest 40.5 Shoulder 16.75 Sleeve 24.25

27358C76-0EF9-4305-A653-FD627225A27F.jpeg
EB19D5EC-6B3A-4B12-99E4-B2FD1D045FA0.jpeg
69331603-DE7F-45B6-BF58-3C0B24ADF558.jpeg
A7AF19C3-D689-4C70-A8A5-84FB6A25E72A.jpeg
71B8EA5A-3D31-4CBE-AED0-B4BD81610317.jpeg
01A7FB6C-C356-4893-9B91-21F9F6259E76.jpeg
083C9C70-C655-4F69-8FEC-A8D2DB9129DF.jpeg
6C0A4B41-375D-42C8-90F7-9D144EA5C223.jpeg

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Hello Everyone,
I am new to FL, I’ve frequent the site, but have yet to join until recently. None of my friends/coworkers are into leather/denim etc as I am. If there is anyone who would know, it would be the wonder folks here on FL. So, selfishly I’ve come here for advice on this fit.

I recently purchased this Y’2 Leather FQHH jacket, after staring at it for so long, with the urge of getting into Horsehide leather. As I felt, was the next step/next tier of forever seeking fine garments. I’ve owned plenty of cowhide leather jackets, some better than others, and some lamb as well. All of course, have a different feel, weight, etc.

This jacket is stiff, the arms hurt a little, especially in the pits. I have worn it around the house as to break it in. It’s summer currently, and so wearing it out and about is not an option. I will say with each wear, it feels better. I’ve taken to the forums, asked questions to certain retailers and most say the same, just wear it, it will get better. And as I know this, I can’t help but beat myself about making the right choice in size. Should I of gone with a bigger size and swam in it, or keep close to my size and deal with it? These are the questions I constantly think about. Will it “open up” as most say or do I take the loss and stick to what I already own?

Thank you all

I usually wear a size 38 as I am 5’6 155lbs chest size 39
Jacket measurements are
Chest 40.5 Shoulder 16.75 Sleeve 24.25

View attachment 434704 View attachment 434705 View attachment 434706 View attachment 434707 View attachment 434708 View attachment 434709 View attachment 434710 View attachment 434712
It certainly fits . If you want a more tighter form fitting fit with less loose on bicep and back you’re gonna have to get it custom with a tailor taking precise measurements

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me trucker jackets need to be fitted, i think yours fits right.
As to whether it will get better, maybe it will, maybe it won't.
It will defifnitely get more comfortable, but it might never give you full range of motion, that depends on pattern design more than it depends on sizing or break in.

dwilson

A-List Customer
Looks good to me. Boxiness is probably due to the leather being super stiff. I think it'll look great once the leather breaks in.

Tec

New in Town
This looks as good as it can get with this style of jacket (which looks great). I agree with pretty much everyone else. Wear it a lot and get it more relaxed and it should look and feel better.

I have a type 1 trucker that actually bruised my forearms lightly (near the bend of the arm) because the sleeves were snug on my arms, but that loosened up after a few days and feels great. Couple of other spots loosened/broke in as well. Initially I probably had a similar thought as you, a bit of doubt that it'd get better. But it definitely does if you wear it enough. Since it's summer, I'd just wear it around the house as often as possible.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I doubt going bigger is gonna help. My guess is the problem is with the tight and rather straight armhole and narrow sleeves. That is the common cutting of Japanese repro clothing. Sizing up in this type of fit usually restrict your arm movement if the shoulder seam goes over your actual shoulder width.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Fit looks great, truckers have to be snug and not too long to look right - if you size up with this style it just looks sloppy in my opinion. In terms of comfort it will surely get better the more you wear it, Ive had a problem with overly tight armholes on HH jackets before and my experience was that with wear they improved a lot.

Hi, welcome.

There's nothing selfish about asking for an advice on this sort of matter. That's what we're here for.

You needn't worry or second guess the size you picked for another second; While you definitely bought the right size, speaking strictly from a personal perspective, I would've sized down, myself so I'd say you're good.

As @Blackadder noted, the further apart the sleeve-to-body seams are, the more they'll be pushing into your shoulders & feel restrictive - Plus the length and fit in general would look bad due to the boxy cut - so as far as I am concerned, sizing up isn't an option in your case.

Thing is, I do not believe that a jacket that is initially fighting you, is going to become entirely comfortable which is a bit sad when you invest a lot of money into a nice piece like this but on the other hand, I've yet to handle a leather trucker that is comfortable so...

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
What is the length of the back from the base of the collar to the hem? Looks slightly long for a trucker in the back - rests on your hips.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks fine and is probably the best "looking" fit you will get but your arms, especially the pits shouldn't hurt!

I doubt that will ever go away, too may seams/leather coming together, thats never going to stretch.

As someone who has battled against more than a few tight fitting jackets in the hope they will stretch "just right" , you'll probably just stop wearing it after a while.

I'd return it if you can and keep looking for the same style by another maker, a different pattern might just fit you better.

mrfoxhunter

Familiar Face
I'd not have gone bigger. The stiff leather will break in as you're aware. Drastic improvement in mobility may not happen as the pattern is what it is. Does it fit you? Yes. The pain you're experiencing sounds unpleasant though. Could it be a rough/jagged seam digging in?

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Welcome! And an excellent first picture rich post!

I think that’s a very good fit. Certainly you shouldn’t go bigger. Being hyper critical, it’s maybe a tad long in the body, especially as this style is a boxy cut best worn rather short. But overall, as most have already said, it’s a great off the peg fit you should be pleased with.

As to comfort, wear it as much as you can - break in will help somewhat.

But imo comfort will ultimately depend most on the pattern (which obviously won’t change unless you buy a different brand/design of jacket) and the qualities of the leather used (Ditto).

Motorbike jacket makers seem to do a better job on patterns when it comes to one’s giving good unrestrctive movement despite the tough leathers they typically use. Fashion/street wear makers maybe less so, though perhaps they look more stylish when you’re stood still with your arms down! Depends what you prioritise... personally I’m a form follows function kind of guy not vice versa,, but then I ride…

On leather, horsehide is often the most unforgiving (depending on exact type/weight/tannage). Sure, some can be soft and easy wearing (eg my HH Pegasus) but some are very stiff and waxy (my HH Vanson Ike jacket can still stand up on its own after 20 years and plenty of regular wear).

As it’s your first HH jacket there may be an adjustment period as you adjust to it (not the other way around!). One reason why the cult of HH is not without its issues…. Albeit the leathers are often so beautiful we forgive it. Stiff waxy pull up type ones will soften from body heat as you wear it, but will start off stiff whenever you first put it on. So just never take it off and you’re fine ;)

enjoy!

HeavyHand39

New in Town
It certainly fits . If you want a more tighter form fitting fit with less loose on bicep and back you’re gonna have to get it custom with a tailor taking precise measurements
Thank you! I will most likely take that approach in the near future, it’s always a hit or miss with general sizing.

HeavyHand39

New in Town
This looks as good as it can get with this style of jacket (which looks great). I agree with pretty much everyone else. Wear it a lot and get it more relaxed and it should look and feel better.

I have a type 1 trucker that actually bruised my forearms lightly (near the bend of the arm) because the sleeves were snug on my arms, but that loosened up after a few days and feels great. Couple of other spots loosened/broke in as well. Initially I probably had a similar thought as you, a bit of doubt that it'd get better. But it definitely does if you wear it enough. Since it's summer, I'd just wear it around the house as often as possible.
Glad to hear it loosened up! I did some ridiculous stretching movements, some I would never use in a real world situation. That ended up bruising on my biceps, so now I know I won’t be doing that again. I’m gonna continue to wear it around. Thanks!

HeavyHand39

New in Town
Hi, welcome.

There's nothing selfish about asking for an advice on this sort of matter. That's what we're here for.

You needn't worry or second guess the size you picked for another second; While you definitely bought the right size, speaking strictly from a personal perspective, I would've sized down, myself so I'd say you're good.

As @Blackadder noted, the further apart the sleeve-to-body seams are, the more they'll be pushing into your shoulders & feel restrictive - Plus the length and fit in general would look bad due to the boxy cut - so as far as I am concerned, sizing up isn't an option in your case.

Thing is, I do not believe that a jacket that is initially fighting you, is going to become entirely comfortable which is a bit sad when you invest a lot of money into a nice piece like this but on the other hand, I've yet to handle a leather trucker that is comfortable so...
Thanks for the info, that’s what the bummer is, I’m gonna keep wearing it until I deem it unwearable. I like the look, I have a Type 1 Denim Jacket, which I love, that’s why I was drawn to this one. Different material, guess I just gotta go along with it

HeavyHand39

New in Town
It looks fine and is probably the best "looking" fit you will get but your arms, especially the pits shouldn't hurt!

I doubt that will ever go away, too may seams/leather coming together, thats never going to stretch.

As someone who has battled against more than a few tight fitting jackets in the hope they will stretch "just right" , you'll probably just stop wearing it after a while.

I'd return it if you can and keep looking for the same style by another maker, a different pattern might just fit you better.
It’s more of an uncomfortable, noticeable feeling that most my other jackets. I don’t have the option to return it, so I’ll either keep it up, sale it or hand it off to someone. Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider