Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another first time Federation owner

Bassman

A-List Customer
I just got my mid-brown Federation from Hatsdirect.
Jenny was communicative and helpful when I asked for the darkest
mid-brown they had available. It took 10 days for it to get to NJ from down under.
I was quite nervous about shaping an open crown hat and searched for pictures and sugestions and tutorials here and at COW and Indygear and all over and you know what?
Shaping it was NO BIG DEAL. No steam, no water...no nothing. Bash and pinch are holding nicely over the last 2 days. I was also a bit worried that the brim might be too wide, but that's not the case. The crown height is a bit of a jolt (and I'm getting quite a few glances) but I'm digging it.
I was thrilled (a cheap thrill, but a thrill nonetheless) just before to be walking to work through Times Square in a bit of snow squall, with my Fed-on-my-head.

Now, what will the next hat be...

Bassman

A-List Customer
OK! Here we go...

40d.jpg

Went with a simple, standard bash this first time...I'll try something else on the next lid
363.jpg

My wife and teenage daughter prefer the brim snapped down in the back
a20.jpg

Here it is snapped up for comparison
e34.jpg

I'm lovin' this hat. The only "issue" I'm having is that the plastic center section of the liner sticks to my bald head whenever I remove the hat, pulling the liner down and away from the hat each time. Gotta figure out a way to somehow attach the liner to the crown. Maybe a discreet tacking stitch through liner and crown?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Bassman said:
I'm lovin' this hat. The only "issue" I'm having is that the plastic center section of the liner sticks to my bald head whenever I remove the hat, pulling the liner down and away from the hat each time. Gotta figure out a way to somehow attach the liner to the crown. Maybe a discreet tacking stitch through liner and crown?[/QUOTE]
I don't know how a stitch would be discreet. If it bothers you that much then maybe just a spot of elmers glue between the liner and felt.:) Looks good though!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Bassman said:
I'm lovin' this hat. The only "issue" I'm having is that the plastic center section of the liner sticks to my bald head whenever I remove the hat, pulling the liner down and away from the hat each time. Gotta figure out a way to somehow attach the liner to the crown.

Another solution is to elevate the crown so that the liner is not sitting right on top of your head. Here's a photo of my Akubra "R.M." to illustrate:

RMCenter.jpg

The Federation looks good, Bassman. Enjoy!!!

Cheers,
JtL

Bassman

A-List Customer
RBH said:
As to the liner a little piece of double stick tape in the crown should do the trick.

Double stick tape! Brilliant! I'll give that a shot because I don't think I can elevate the crown enough to make a difference.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I hat the plastic tips in the liners.
If you are VERY CAREFUL you can cut the plastic out with a pair of small scissors. I did this to my 2 Snowy Rivers which have a pretty low crown.
Bob.

Bassman

A-List Customer
citRon said:
Bassman, did you trim the brim on that? It looks smaller than others I've seen.
Not at all. And here I was, afraid I was going to have to do all sorts of things to make this wearable. I'm very happy with it.
Go ahead and take the plunge.

pils

New in Town
That is a nice colour for a Fed! :eusa_clap

Being shaved on top I have had the same trouble with the plastic liner sticking to the top of my head, but making a little "dome" in the crown helped a lot. I did have to use steam to get it to stay up though.

/Niels

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Hi, I'm a long-time browser but first-time poster. That's a very nice looking Fed, Bassman--I like your bash and the color suits you. :eusa_clap I just got my very first Fed (carbon gray) this January, and am really enjoying it.
Akubrasuitoutsideheadshot.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR