Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another My Custom Tailor Suit

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
On a lark one late night not too long ago, I decided I’d try to take my own measurements and put in an order for a suit from My Custom Tailor. It showed up today so here it is fresh out of a very small box. I hadn’t expected much, but it turns out that if I had actually gotten the measurements right, it would be a nice suit.

As can be seen in the photos I clearly got the shoulder measurements wrong, as it’s a bit tight and rides up around the collar. It actually fits just like my old size 40 JOS Bank jackets, so I’m probably off by a total of an inch or so. As a measurements note, we exchanged some e-mails over the pants measurements. They felt my numbers seemed off. We went with mine which was good because their recommendations would have made them far too long.

All in all, I picked this one up just for fun, figured it would end up looking pretty modern, and I don’t plan on wearing it as is, but if I can figure out where to adjust, I might just try another one next year; only I would be picky, fixing where the dimensions are off, and choosing a specific wider lapel width at the very least.

Photo1.jpg

DSCF1197.jpg

Reactions: Uhu

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Fresh out of the box wrinkles and all; my new blazer from My Custom Tailor arrived this afternoon. Except for the ultra-wide collar portion of the lapels, which I’m hoping a tailor can fix for me by cutting it back a little, I’m pretty pleased seeing the whole project was pretty much a throw of the dice.

For this blazer I sent in photographs showing the exact measurements of the jacket length and primary button layout and spacing. They followed those visual instructions perfectly. Clearly I needed to send a measured photo of the lapels, but I didn’t have any jackets with lapels the right width that didn’t have features I did not want them to inadvertently copy. I was under the impression they were not going to include a boutonniere hole on the lapel, but they did include a mock one in a location I find too close to the edge of the lapel. The lapels on this jacket to the peak end measure 6 inches. I asked for 5 1/2 inches, and that’s the width here from the jacket inside edge to the edge of the collar portion of the lapel just above the peak. I think it came out OK width wise though. There is also more “belly” to the lapels than I would prefer, but not enough to be displeasing to my eyes.

newblazer001_zps2c70f298.jpg

newblazer002_zps6ed8b237.jpg

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
esteban68, Son_of_Atropos, thanks. I think all in all it turned out pretty well; excepting that I now want to replace every other jacket in the closet.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I actually ended up getting married in the suit that I bought from Mr. Daswani. I ordered it from him when I graduated from college the first time. I'll post up some pictures if I can find that darned photo album or where the wife stowed the digital copies. The suit was a light charcoal 3 piece in cashmere wool blend worsted, if memory serves (the cut was listed as a classic "English style 3 piece suit", I had him put on peaked lapels with a working boutonniere hole, 3 buttons, rolling on the top button, dramatically curved back fronts at the skirting opening in the front (like an 1890s sack), hacking pockets, angled breast pocket, ultra-high rise diagonally hemmed trousers with a slight drape, and fish-tail back and flat front with side-seam slit pockets, super fitted sleeves with Very high arm-holes (you can ask for high arm-holes with a roomy arm socket; that's part of the reason that a lot of older jackets had more of a roped shoulder - more volume for greater movement) my suit has natural English style shoulders with a little bit of structure, and a half canvassed breast and hand finished lapel, and 3 working buttons on the surgeon's cuffs, also I got the waist-coat made up in a self back with an adjuster buckle, and a flat bottom (no points), single breasted with notched lapels, and 6 buttons with 4 pockets. On top of everything else, Mr. Daswani threw in at no extra charge, an upgrade to a fine red and black silk paisley lining which was piped in solid red silk. I got the blackish blue with pale blue and white veined horn buttons. Anyway. I love the suit. It still fits, and I wear it on the regular. If you give or show Mr. Daswani or his assistants photographs or pictures, and have a conversation with them either via email or in person at a road-trip fitting, they are very helpful and on the ball. I always say that I want extra length on my shirt sleeves though, when I order shirts from them.

Reactions: Uhu

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
My one piece of advice when working with Mr. Daswani is this; whatever you want, he can and will do, we've had long conversations about clothing and tailoring, and he knows about and understands both fitted tailoring, as well as drape tailoring, and whatever you want, he can do, but you need to be specific with him, and just say exactly what it is. I've never found him unwilling to oblige any of my requests regarding details or fit, or anything else regarding my garments. The man really enjoys his work, and knows his stuff.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Fresh out of the box wrinkles and all; my new blazer from My Custom Tailor arrived this afternoon. Except for the ultra-wide collar portion of the lapels, which I’m hoping a tailor can fix for me by cutting it back a little, I’m pretty pleased seeing the whole project was pretty much a throw of the dice.

For this blazer I sent in photographs showing the exact measurements of the jacket length and primary button layout and spacing. They followed those visual instructions perfectly. Clearly I needed to send a measured photo of the lapels, but I didn’t have any jackets with lapels the right width that didn’t have features I did not want them to inadvertently copy. I was under the impression they were not going to include a boutonniere hole on the lapel, but they did include a mock one in a location I find too close to the edge of the lapel. The lapels on this jacket to the peak end measure 6 inches. I asked for 5 1/2 inches, and that’s the width here from the jacket inside edge to the edge of the collar portion of the lapel just above the peak. I think it came out OK width wise though. There is also more “belly” to the lapels than I would prefer, but not enough to be displeasing to my eyes.

newblazer001_zps2c70f298.jpg

newblazer002_zps6ed8b237.jpg
Hi Sir,

LOVE that Hat! What make and model?! Great jacket, by the by!

101 Pathfinder

A-List Customer
This is my Seersucker suit by Haspel. I bought it over 20 yrs ago when I was a size 48. After dropping a ton of weight I am now a size 41. I took the suit to a local tailor who did a wonderful job. The pant legs were pegged down and now I have a more Bespoke look. I paid $150 for the suit which was on sale in September as I recall. The hat is a XXXXX beaver Stetson. On the lapel is the "Pair-0-Dice" 506th Infantry pin. I was in the 101st Abn Div and always wear something military in the lapel. Today is also National Seersucker Day!!

640d21dc5604dd9c35922a01d3ae2b22.jpg
402264791310664ae5976aaba8beef64.jpg
fd61b98731e8ba9cf316b7e8bd9ce485.jpg
cd2188e1eb0c9ad0eda3ccd495868a69.jpg
ca966d05c7561a4c2a81b988bbb8febd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner