Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another My Custom Tailor Suit

Annixter

Practically Family
On February 1st, I placed an order for a three-piece suit through mycustomtailor. I don't own any vintage suits, so I researched the lounge for descriptions, photos, and vintage advertisements before ordering. I am looking for a 1930's through 1940's style.

I went with one of their Premier series double-breasted suits with six buttons (two functional). None of their three-piece suit sets are double-breasted jackets, so I went with the one that looks closest to vintage. The material is Super 120 8.5 oz. 100% Italian wool in dark brown with light brown pinstripes. The liner is fully hand basted high-grade Bemberg. The pants have a high waist, button fly, single pleats, belt loops and suspender buttons, and 2" cuffs.

The vest is a traditional 6-button, and it is made of the same material as the jacket and pants. I opted for a Bemberg liner as well, although the back is wool and not silk. It has two lower pockets as apposed to the popular 4, but I have a shorter torso, and 4-pocket vests look to busy on me--vintage or not. However, I cannot help but think 2-pocket vests existed somewhere in America back then.

I had my measurements taken, and used a well-fitting modern suit for the jacket length, pants width, inseam, and waist/U crutch measurements. I even supplied them with my arm circumference at the shoulder, and the length from my armpit to the bottom of the jacket; hopefully this, with the other back and chest measurements, will be enough to get a proper, or close-to-proper, armhole size and height.

Their model photo has skinnier lapels than vintage, but I have no jacket to give them a specific measurement. I instead emailed them photos of vintage suits and asked that they reference them to make the lapels a little wider. I also emailed photos of me in the modern suit for reference to my build.

So far, my experience with them has been very good. We've communicated back and forth about three times, and, as far as their emails show, they appear to understand what I'm requesting. The order status shows that the suit is being completion, and it is scheduled to ship next week. Because I had to purchase the vest separate from the suit, it cost more than the three-piece packages. That extra cost added to the fully basted liner and shipping made the entire purchase a little more than I wanted to spend; however, it should be a very nice suit.

Below are the model, vest, and fabric photos.

fabrics.php

fabrics.php

1007-dbwsbs.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
Binkie, I'm not sure where you are seeing the 470 AU, as the Premier double-breasted suit with vest comes out to $375 USD (421 AU) before adding any upgrades. I don't think their prices are unreasonable, as it would cost me much more to have a custom tailored suit made locally with 100% wool and hand basted liner. The end price, even after the upgraded liner and large sum for shipping, is about the same I would pay for an off-the-shelf suit at a local store. Furthermore, I've yet to find an off-the-shelf suit that looks vintage and that fits me anywhere close to what I'd like. I know that ordering over the internet has its risks, but I'm not one to judge quality based on where a product is made. Just because it is cheaper for a company to produce a suit in one part of the world as opposed to another doesn't guarantee that they don't do quality work.

Annixter

Practically Family
You'll have to let us know what you think of their quality and what their price range is for a fully customized suit.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Yes, It will be good to see a few "samples" and feel the quality of the fabrics, I was going to order four, but I think I will er on the side of caution, If they turn out well, I can always order more, will probable go with a pinstripe, either Navy or Brown with an orange pinstripe, providing its not too Spivish "

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Prince Henry and MyCustomTailor

I have done business with both outfits, but far more with Prince Henry. I'd say I have about a dozen of their suits. I recently purchased one from MyCustomTailor.

I had a hard time getting both to understand the concept of "high armhole". In fact, I just mailed my MyCustomTailor suit back to them today for a do-over. I had to exercise some persuasion on Prince Henry as well to get a do-over of a coat for high armholes.

I believe that Prince Henry has got the concept now. The last three suits I got from them fit well as regards the arm holes. Left to their own devices, Prince Henry makes the seat of the pants a little too tight for my tastes, but I've got them on the program now.

Be sure to emphasize these matters with either. Feel free to let either know that you have been advised by their fussy customer in Virginia to hold their feet to the fire. These guys are like us Americans as Winston Churchill once said, "Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities".

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Mea Culpa! MySuitShop is not MyCustomTailor

Please permit me to amend my earlier comment. The second Bangkok tailor with whom I did business was NOT MyCustomTailor.com. Rather, they are MySuitShop.com.

I haven't done business with MyCustomTailor.com, so I can't make any worthwhile observations on their service. I apologize to the readers and to MyCustomTailor.com.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Now this is getting interesting!

I went to the web sites of both MyCustomTailor and MySuitShop. The look is very similar. At the very least, they used the same web designer. Then I brought up both web sites side-by-side.

Here is where it gets interesting. Both sites have the same phone numbers! My hypothesis is that these are two "DBA" (doing business as) names that are in reality the same business.

Ed

Familiar Face
KILO NOVEMBER said:
I went to the web sites of both MyCustomTailor and MySuitShop. The look is very similar. At the very least, they used the same web designer. Then I brought up both web sites side-by-side.

Here is where it gets interesting. Both sites have the same phone numbers! My hypothesis is that these are two "DBA" (doing business as) names that are in reality the same business.

They also do business as Ravistailor
http://ravistailor.com/

Annixter

Practically Family
I recall seeing a couple different company names under their, MCT, "about us" page. I figured they operate under a few different names. The more the better, as the more suits they make, the better the chances are that they have gotten the internet ordering thing down. It reminds me of oil brands here in the States: Napa Auto Parts brand oil is in fact Valvoline in a different bottle, but for much less than Valvoline brand bottles.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"This afternoon at 5.30 pm I met with Mr Sethinamvong from Prince & Henry, who are in Town for consultations for Bespoke suits. Being from Thailand I was, rather expecting a petite Asian gentleman to answer the door of hotel room ** at the medina Hotel here in the Swan River Colony, it was in fact answered by a charming, yet imposing figure in a Turban and whiskers!"

"We discussed my requirements,I was hoping to pay around $250.00 but he had no samples of "Cheaper" fabrics so i went with a $300.00 suit in Black with a beige pinstripe, I said i wanted it to be a bit OTT with very W I D E notched lapels and very W I D E padded shoulders, Mr S remarked that my shoulders were very square and measured 20" so should we have the shoulders made to 20 1/2"? Naaaah , I said oh lets go 21"

"Oh Mr Kilo, he remembered the jacket you had corrected for high arm holes and he is doing the same for me!"

"At the last minute he pulled out a swatch of "Devastating" silk linings which breath so much better in a warm climate, ( extra $35.00) I opted for a deep bronze with a deco'ish Lightening bolt motif"

"So all up $335.00 and delivered FEDEX in 4-6 weeks"

"He can do the "Wrap style" Tie belt "Polo Coat" for $450.00!!"

Annixter

Practically Family
Binkie, I'm assuming the $335 is before shipping? That seems like a competitive price for a basic online tailored suit (comparable to MCT). I'm also assuming that the liner is not basted like older bespoke suits, but is probably of modern standard fusing and canvas construction. I ask because a full canvas hand basted liner usually costs a good deal extra, and would seem to cost more than the baseline $300.

Annixter

Practically Family
The suit shipped today, March 11, so I hope to have it soon. It was supposed to have shipped on the 23rd of February, but i was informed then by a customer service rep. that they had an unusually busy February, pushing all the orders out a little. I cannot complain that it took 39 days to make a custom suit. I'm looking forward to its arrival.

Annixter

Practically Family
It Arrived!

What would you know? DHL delivered the package today, just one day after it shipped. I am amazed at the suit. I'm being extremely honest when I say that I cannot find a single thing to complain about.

It fits better than I ever though I suit could fit, which makes me loathe ready-made clothing a little. It looks exactly like what I spent so much time and effort describing to MCT, and like the reference pictures I sent them. The craftsmanship is beautiful, and the hand basted liner is done so well to the point that I'm tempted to turn the jacket inside-out! The armholes are high to where I can reach for my hat atop my head without disturbing the shoulders too much, although I suppose they could be tailored a little better if the tailor could actually make the adjustments on my person; however, they are the best fitting armholes I've ever owned, and it was all done over the internet, so no complaint here.

I am extremely happy with the color and fabric quality also, and the overall style is great. Overall, my experience with MCT leaves me more than happy to recommend them and to do business with them again.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Annixter said:
What would you know? DHL delivered the package today, just one day after it shipped. I am amazed at the suit. I'm being extremely honest when I say that I cannot find a single thing to complain about.
Let me be the first to say congratulations! Where are the pics? Ya gotta post pics ;)

GBR

One of the Regulars
Annixter said:

It fits better than I ever though I suit could fit, which makes me loathe ready-made clothing a little. It looks exactly like what I spent so much time and effort describing to MCT, and like the reference pictures I sent them. The craftsmanship is beautiful, and the hand basted liner is done so well to the point that I'm tempted to turn the jacket inside-out! The armholes are high to where I can reach for my hat atop my head without disturbing the shoulders too much, although I suppose they could be tailored a little better if the tailor could actually make the adjustments on my person; however, they are the best fitting armholes I've ever owned, and it was all done over the internet, so no complaint here.

I am extremely happy with the color and fabric quality also, and the overall style is great. Overall, my experience with MCT leaves me more than happy to recommend them and to do business with them again.

Are you going to post photographs of the garment - including the jacket interior? Photographs say so much more than words.

Annixter

Practically Family
I'm going to try and get some pictures this afternoon, as I plan on going to dinner wearing the suit, and I will have someone to take the pictures. I'll do my best to get those posted soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner