Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Big Softy! - Your Favourite Soft Drinks

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
There are many threads about the hard drinks of life and I must admit I find them fascinating.

But what about the "soft" drinks of the non-alcoholic variety?
I think this could probably stretch to mixers too.

For me my preference is a nice cool glass of ginger ale. I've always been a fan of Schwepps but have had some Canada Dry recently (I think they are now part of Schwepps).
I remember the first time I had a particular brand of ginger ale it was so fizzy that I couldn't take a sip without sneezing - very strange.

Another favourite mine was Pepsicino (Cappuccino flavoured Pepsi) which was lovely but sadly no longer made.
I had some "winter punch" Pepsi once too - I quite liked that.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Non-alcoholic Mojito....Lime!!!! yum

amd_mojito.jpg

Dixon Cannon

I gave up 'soft drinks' years ago. I deduced that it is merely liquid candy designed to be consumed in mass quantities to stupify the populace into...well the populace we have today.:rolleyes:

Having nixed alcohol as well, my last vice is N/A beer - preferably a cold Buckler's.

-dixon 'weaned' cannon

Geesie

Practically Family
In the summer, lemonade. Personally, I think it's the best hot weather beverage soft or hard.

As far as carbonated drinks go, I like some
250px-Vess_orange_whistle_soda.jpg

or

3297191095_2f2247ffda_m.jpg

Yes, I like my cream soda to be unnaturally colored!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
I deduced that it is merely liquid candy designed to be consumed in mass quantities to stupify the populace...

This is the first time I've come across the notion that SODAPOP was designed to stupify the populace! If that's true (and if it's really that easy) we ARE doomed!

JennyLou

Practically Family
Theres a place in LA where I go to get my specialty sodas from called Galcos. I usually stick to pure sugar cane sodas rather than corn syrup ones. I need to go there again soon but my car got wrecked.

Carlisle Blues

Ethan Bentley said:
I like the sound of that! If I may ask, what's the recipe?

Here ya go enjoy..!! This is one version.....just came back from listening to some live music and my "Nojotito"

Non-alcoholic Mojito

Ice
1 lime, sliced into 4 wedges
8 spearmint leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
Lemon-lime soda
Spearmint sprig, for garnish

Fill martini shaker halfway with ice. Add lime, spearmint leaves and sugar. Muddle for about 1 minute, until the ice is broken up. Add soda to fill shaker. Strain into ice-filled glass. Garnish with spearmint.

Makes 1 serving.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
barra063 said:
I have developed a hankering for Bundaberg brewed softies

http://www.bundaberg-brew.com.au/

In particular their sarsparilla. When I was in NJ I found Stewarts root beer simply the best root beer I have tasted.

I've seen these in Waitrose (supermarket) in the UK.
I quite enjoy the Root Beer, which comes in the same bottle as your Sarsaparilla.
I like the Lemon and Lime Bitter. I've tried to recreate this with some success:).
Mrs. B's favourite is the Peach Nectar.

Here in the LA area we have several good places to go for original and specialty sodas.

First is Galco's which was featured in a "Visiting" episode of Huell Howser, they have a great selection of sodas and many from the old style version (cane sugar vs corn syrup) producers. http://www.sodapopstop.com/

Beverages and More (Bevmo) has a nice selection of specialties and in a pinch Cost Plus World Markets has a fair selection too.

I like Cream Sodas and love to taste test root beers, birch beers and sasparillas! I just got a hankering for an A&W Root Beer Float!

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I largely avoid soda, but ever since Boylan's products became available here I've been unable to resist their Root Beer, Creamy Red Birch Beer, and regular Birch. I make a special event of it, and allow myself only one bottle a day.

BTW, I took a sip of regular Coca-Cola and was repulsed! Tasted like drinking pure syrup! Never again (except with Jack Daniel's). Boylan's is sweetened with sugar cane!

julia

New in Town
In Guatemala I had coca-cola and orange soda (crush I think it was called) that had REAL sugar, no corn syrup. They came in glass bottles that you returned, or you could pay extra and keep it. That tasted so good! It's funny because that was probably the most vintage soda I could ever get. Here are my picks for soda available in the USA:
Stewart's Root Beer
Orange soda anything
Goya strawberry soda
Chocolate egg creams :D

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
My favorite is a couple dashes of bitters in a glass of ginger ale - i suppose there's alcohol in that, but i'd call it a technicality in that quantity.

Although, now that it's getting hot, a nice cold tonic is perfect. Top it off with a small squeeze of lemon - yum! Or a half-half combination of these two drinks for something just a little sweet. What can i say; i love mixing drinks, and i'm not going to let a lack of alcohol stop me ;)

Though i can also go for a good sarsaparilla. And Dr. Pepper is my big vice. I'm trying to wean off of it, but it's the only decent option for an afternoon caffeine fix.

LordBest

Practically Family
I do not drink much soft drink, but I am quite partial to Bundaberg Ginger Beer. It is nice that Bundaberg can produce a decent ginger ale, God knows they can not make a drinkable rum.
I really do love a nice Sarsparilla as well.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I used to drink Diet Pepsi when I lived on the West Coast. Since moving to the East Coast, I've discovered that Coke is superior, and I used to drink one or two cans a day.

I've since switched to straight soda water and like it much better. I crash less without the caffeine, and the bubbles do just as much to perk me up - and it's healthier. I'm diabetic, so I don't do sugared sodas, but I've also tried to eliminate artificial sweeteners from my diet, especially aspartame, which research has shown to be a neurotoxin. When I want something a little sweet, I will just mix the soda with some juice (love mixing it with limeade), some grenadine, or I'll make a sort of "rickey" with grenadine, lime and soda. Every so often I may break down and get a Diet Coke.

For those of you who like sodas with cane sugar instead of corn syrup, try any hispanic bodegas that may be in your area. I've discovered that several of the bodegas near me carry Coke imported from Mexico, made with cane sugar, and bottled in glass!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy