Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Anyone here well-versed in how the human sense of taste (as in food and drink and whatever else one might put in his or her mouth) changes with age?

I ask because I can think of a couple of foods that repulsed me as a youngster that I like just fine now (but only a couple, I've never been a picky eater) and some that appealed to me then that seem just so insipid now, such as sweets that got nothing going for them but sweet.

I suspect it changes some around puberty. Swiss cheese actually pained me when I was a little kid. It stung. It hurt my mouth.

A simple and probably accurate answer is that kids crave highly caloric foods because they are growing and that for most of human history, when food was not so readily available as it is in the modern industrial world, such preferences were necessary to survival, for the individual and the group. But I'm curious as to the mechanism.
A quick bit of online research verifies our senses of taste and smell (both of which are responsible for our perception of "taste") begin to decline as we age, usually after the age of 50. Interesting. I've often heard people remark, "My tastes have changed as I've gotten older," but I had never considered a biological component before now.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
There is an old saying: "Nobody under 40 should drink brandy." The reason was that brandy tasted too strong for young palates, whereas the duller senses of middle age require stronger stimulation.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I don't think we get smarter as we get older.

2lc5gs4.jpg

We just run out of stupid things to do.

There's actually support for the theory that our intelligence decreases as a result of the aging process. I'd explain further but I can't understand the article where I read it.

What I've seen in my and my girlfriend's family is that, outside of true dementia, it is the speed of processing information and articulating opinions that slows down, but not necessary the level of intelligence.

I've noticed it in myself at 52. I have always been fortunate to be able to do math in my head quickly, but I have clearly slowed down over the decades, but I don't believe my ability to understand math or other things had declined. My guess is that my speed has slowed in other fields too, but it would be harder to see as my math skills slowdown are obvious to me; whereas, if I am processing a science article modestly slower, I don't think I'd really notice that.

Hell, I know I'm not as quick as I once was. Judgment is better, generally, which is somewhat compensatory.

Still, I recoil at the suggestion that intelligence is measurable. Certain mental functions might be empirically assessed. But we can't agree on just what intelligence actually is. To measure anything it is first necessary to know what we're measuring. "Intellect" is amorphous. And it won't hold still.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What I'm finding, especially in just the last couple of years, is that I often choose the wrong word and don't notice it -- and I oftne confuse my homonyms when writing. "Reed this book" instead of "Read this book," stuff like that. I find that I have to proofread much more closely than I once did.

My math skills haven't deteriorated, though. I never had any, and you can't lose what you never had.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I just know the saying from neurologic, that our ability for concentration falls down after the peak from 28 to 30.

I've noticed that I have too many things going in my mind
at the same time.

I once opened up a can of tuna for a late-night snack.
Noticed Polo giving me a funny look.

I had opened up a can of his favorite *tender vittles*.

I could handle most anything in my Januarys.

But I'm in my Decembers....
and I have to concentrate on one thing at a time.

Otherwise, I'll end up eating Polo's food.

Btw: It tasted pretty good. :p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when:

Looking sharp for the "babes" is no longer a priority.
Uneven tan lines on the legs. A stomach pouch that sticks
out no matter how much you suck it in to look slimmer.
2gsemar.jpg

Top priority now is to be as comfortably
warm as possible.
Regardless of how I look to anyone else

I work in TV news. I'm a cameraman.
One time my reporter & I were in a small farm town
covering a story . A place where folks won't give you
the time of the day if you happen to be an "outsider".

My reporter is the "loud-Ted Baxter" type of person.
Arriving around noon and trying not arouse attention,
I tell my pal,
"Andy...let's keep it quiet and try to blend in."

He says, "yeah right ...like we're really going to
blend in!"

Then he stops.
Looks at me from head to toe,

and says...

"Damm jake...you really do blend in!"

pn4pc.jpg

166bwq9.jpg

Last edited:
What I'm finding, especially in just the last couple of years, is that I often choose the wrong word and don't notice it -- and I oftne confuse my homonyms when writing. "Reed this book" instead of "Read this book," stuff like that. I find that I have to proofread much more closely than I once did.

My math skills haven't deteriorated, though. I never had any, and you can't lose what you never had.

Being dyslexic (and told in grammar school by a teacher I'd never be a good reader or writer), I have had the homonyms thing my entire life (I'm sure you all have noticed it as I will catch it when I re-read a post of mine later in the day, but I just don't see the errors even when proofing it in real time).

I think my math skills are as strong as ever, but just not as fast as I can't do it all in my head on the fly like I used to.

Hell, I know I'm not as quick as I once was. Judgment is better, generally, which is somewhat compensatory.

Still, I recoil at the suggestion that intelligence is measurable. Certain mental functions might be empirically assessed. But we can't agree on just what intelligence actually is. To measure anything it is first necessary to know what we're measuring. "Intellect" is amorphous. And it won't hold still.

I agree that intelligence is a concept and not a unit, but it is something (Einstein had more of some category of it than most).

What I've noticed with my aging relatives is that they seem as "bright" to me as ever (or as stupid but no stupider), but their speed of processing and articulating has slowed down and, as Lizzie notes, their ability to find the right word is down (my girlfriend's dad can get cranky when he can't "find" the right word to say fast enough, but the man is sharp as a tack if you give him time to get it all out).

All just thoughts and observations. My mom, unfortunately, has some dementia, and her intelligence (ability to understand things) has definitely deteriorated.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you're old when...

In my *younger* years, I would take caution with __________.

(You fill in the blank, the list is too long and my fingers cramp
after a while.)

But since most of my family, friends, dogs and cats are gone.

I now tell myself .
(I also do this more frequently.....talking to myself that is.)

Anyway...I now tell myself:

"Go ahead and do it!"
"What the hell are you waiting for?"
"You may not be here tomorrow!"
"Enjoy it while you can!"
"You can't take it with you!"

I'm not kidding. o_O

BTW:
Does anyone in the forum know what is the reason
for the count on the amount of *likes* the members
have received?

Like is their a prize when one reaches a certain figure?
Do we get a toaster, or free tickets to the Strand Theater?

I want to know in case I kick the bucket tomorrow.
But I can't seem to remember where I last saw that
darn bucket.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL