Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You are getting old, when you still know the real old-fashion stuff!:

27712866zj.jpg

27712867rg.jpg

27712869sk.jpg

27712870di.jpg

27712872xi.jpg

27712873er.jpg

I would really like to send you the "fragrance" of the greybread's shell!! ;)

The bread looks very delicious!

I like to tell you something.
And I mean it respectfully.

Enjoy the bread while you can.
Because as you get older, one of the things that goes
is your memory.

You don't have to take my word.

But when you get my age, and I'll be dead,
hopefully you may remember that I told you this.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
@2jakes

We have of course the same shopping-malls, here, because you americanized us after 1945 and 1990. But the malls are generally not that central supersized ones.

Truly, many older man and widowers are walking around, here, and keep them healthy, as much as they can. But they aren't walking around in the malls, because of the german mentality, always "just wanting your peace" and walk around in mother nature. ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In my city, the shopping malls arrived in the mid '60s.

Before that time all stores were located "downtown".

I miss the decorative lights that the city would install on
the main streets.

If you've seen "Miracle on 34th Street" or "A Christmas Story"
you will get an idea of how my downtown used to be with the
store display windows when I was a kid.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Malls are almost a dead letter here -- the nearest ones to me are 60 miles in one direction and 75 miles in the other, and both of them are in deep decline. What's more common for us is "miracle mile" plaza deals where lots of big-block stores cluster like concrete fungus, and you have to drive around a maze of winding limited-access roads to get to the one you want. The most exercise you get is for your jaw, from yelling at cell-phone-yappers in SUVs who keep cutting you off at the intersections.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Malls are almost a dead letter here -- the nearest ones to me are 60 miles in one direction and 75 miles in the other, and both of them are in deep decline. What's more common for us is "miracle mile" plaza deals where lots of big-block stores cluster like concrete fungus, and you have to drive around a maze of winding limited-access roads to get to the one you want. The most exercise you get is for your jaw, from yelling at cell-phone-yappers in SUVs who keep cutting you off at the intersections.

Sounds like the "outlet" retail
shops which are about 30 miles
from the city.

Mostly name-brand shops that cater to customers with sub-quality or irregular products that
didn't meet the standards for the
shopping malls in the city.

Also both locations have drivers
who feel they have the right-of-way because they are on the cell
phone with very important information that could affect the
planet and cannot wait.

That's the point, @LizzieMaine .

I always liked the "all under one roof"-department-stores and shopping-centers and I see no reason, to prefer all the newer, additional single factory-sale stores, which are now spreaded all around in the bigger city-centers.

And in fact, the upcoming single stores are just against the german mentality and I can't imagine, that this will work much long.

The German likes to walk peacefully through his timeless department-store/shopping-center, where He got enough space to enjoy, where He isn't responded by (redundant) vendors and He normally hates these newer, spreaded, little and nerving factory sale-stores.

I see these actual factory sale-stores as a desperate try of the manufactures itself. They are a product of the upcoming market-saturation.

The bread looks very delicious!

I like to tell you something. And I mean it respectfully. Enjoy the bread while you can. Because as you get older, one of the things that goes is your memory...
So, what are you saying here, that you get older and forget to eat bread? :p

...Truly, many older man and widowers are walking around, here, and keep them healthy, as much as they can. But they aren't walking around in the malls, because of the german mentality, always "just wanting your peace" and walk around in mother nature. ;)
As long as they're not adjacent to a roadway filled with cars belching toxic fumes, walking in "mother nature" is healthier. Fresh air, sunshine, and the uneven ground gives your leg muscles a better workout than walking on flat level flooring.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
BTW:
Does anyone in the forum know what is the reason
for the count on the amount of *likes* the members
have received?
Yes. :)

Now I suppose you want the explanation...

Look at your profile. You'll see that you've been awarded a certain number of "points" (These are as valuable as Tetris coins). The number of points you have is based on "trophies" you've earned. (double click on your points to see which trophies you've been awarded) Trophies are either a number of posts made or the number of times your posts have been liked.

You, sir, have 113 points, the maximum. Congratulations! You may now buy the next round.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
So, what are you saying here, that you get older and forget to eat bread? :p

Not so much that you forget, but rather you can't eat the foods which you did when you
were young.
The reasons vary.
As you age, your stomach can no longer tolerate some of the foods you ate when you were young.
You don't have the strength to take a good bite into some foods. Teeth get weak.
Or you no longer have teeth to chew the food and have to rely on soft foods that your gums
are able to handle.
But don't take my word for it.
Sooner or later, you'll understand what I'm talking about. :p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yes. :)

Now I suppose you want the explanation...

Look at your profile. You'll see that you've been awarded a certain number of "points" (These are as valuable as Tetris coins). The number of points you have is based on "trophies" you've earned. (double click on your points to see which trophies you've been awarded) Trophies are either a number of posts made or the number of times your posts have been liked.

You, sir, have 113 points, the maximum. Congratulations! You may now buy the next round.

So...no toaster or tickets?

Well....thanks anyway for taking the time to explain.
You can have my points and buy yourself another round of whatever that may
be.

Cheers! :)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Not so much that you forget, but rather you can't eat the foods which you did when you
were young.
The reasons vary.
As you age, your stomach can no longer tolerate some of the foods you ate when you were young.
You don't have the strength to take a good bite into some foods. Teeth get weak.
Or you no longer have teeth to chew the food and have to rely on soft foods that your gums
are able to handle.
But don't take my word for it.
Sooner or later, you'll understand what I'm talking about. :p

I can't work out if you have a very pessimistic view of getting old or a very optimistic view of getting very old. :D

When I'm passing the Gymnasium, around the corner, on my way to supermarket or so, seeing the kids, I always think:
"If you would know... If you would know..."

;););)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I can't work out if you have a very pessimistic view of getting old or a very optimistic view of getting very old.

That's all right.
I can't either. :D

I'm having a blast enjoying many of the things I did as a kid.
I eat what I want but in lesser amounts.
I'm very active in sports but keep it down to 3-4 hours daily.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The main reason I can't eat many of the things I ate as a kid is that you can't find them in the store any more. Ask for heart meat at the meat counter and they look at you like you've just asked for a steaming bowl of entrails. Occasionally I can find smoked haddock for finnan haddie, but it's very rare and scarce at the fish counter, and I don't have the space or the inclination to build a smokehouse and smoke my own. And a lot of the other things I ate as a kid were commercial processed products which have long since been discontinued.

But as far as actually digesting things goes, I can still eat anything I could as a kid -- and the things I couldn't eat as a kid, I still can't eat today. Onions still make me choke, retch, and vomit as badly as they did when I was two.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^
I hated onions & liver as a kid.

But now, I am capable of *tolerating* onions on some foods.

Big emphasis on tolerating.
And I still dislike liver.

About the only thing I still
enjoy from my yute is Menudo.
Which I will have on occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL