Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when....
21jzioz.png

green papaya

One Too Many
you know your getting old when back in your day, a woman always wore long dresses and covered her ankles, and wore high collar blouses / dresses with long sleeves to cover up, also a large brimmed hat with a veil.

when a lady went on a date they would always have a chaperone and would be required to be back home by 9pm at the latest, a respectable woman wouldnt be out late in the evening alone with a man unless they were married.

a gentleman would never wear a t-shirt as casual wear, it was considered "underwear"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
you know your getting old when back in your day, a woman always wore long dresses and covered her ankles, and wore high collar blouses / dresses with long sleeves to cover up, also a large brimmed hat with a veil.

a gentleman would never wear a t-shirt as casual wear, it was considered "underwear"

A "gentleman & his lady" enjoying a ride in the country. :)
qqr7l5.png

When my grandmother, in her 80s, went to visit her sister in Florida, she would complain that "there's nothing but old people here!". She did not see herself as part of that group.

I had noticed that on my last trip to Walt Disney World last year. Not only were there a lot of older people but even many of the Cast Members at WDW seem older than the ones who work at Disneyland which I live close to.

green papaya

One Too Many
When buying gasoline you tell them to filler up with “Ethyl,” which sounds like the woman’s name, Ethel.

then the gas station attendent says "If Ethyl dont mind"

"If you run out of gas, get Ethyl. If Ethyl runs out, get Mabel"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when you remember when no man would be caught dead in a courtroom wearing anything so gauche as a t-shirt.

97335668-jpg.38404

I remember that.
If I'm not mistaken, it had to do with this incident at Ebbetts Field in the '40s.
2ch0zd1.jpg

Note to the boys next room in the jacket lounge:
A-1 style mens button only jacket in the background.
Precursor to the A-2s.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep. Little Frankie Germano, god bless him. Out there to discuss the fine points of umpiring with "Meathead" Magerkurth. Remember the days when everybody respected constituted authority and never gave their superiors insulting nicknames? Neither do I.

Those leather jacket guys are members of the ground crew. They're just waiting around to make sure Frankie doesn't mess up the grass.

...when you suddenly realize, that in the end of 2017, your favorite shopping-mall, (a very small shopping-mall in the next big city) where every visit already feels like coming home, will know you since 20 years. 20 years! "She" :rolleyes: has aged really good (built in 1996). And no downward trend happened with the mixture of stores. A big pro at the center is still the oversized parking-lot. Neither the very roomy parking-lot, nor the roomy underground-parking lot was ever filled up, I think.

Should be placed under species-protection. :D

Last edited:
...when you suddenly realize, that in the end of 2017, your favorite shopping-mall, (a very small shopping-mall in the next big city) where every visit already feels like coming home, will know you since 20 years. 20 years! "She" :rolleyes: has aged really good (built in 1996). And no downward trend happened with the mixture of stores. A big pro at the center is still the oversized parking-lot. Neither the very roomy parking-lot, nor the roomy underground-parking lot was ever filled up, I think.

Should be placed under species-protection. :D

Sounds like the supermarket right by my house. It's been there 23 years now. I still remember when it moved there from its previous location (where I had also shopped) like it was yesterday! And then there's a CVS drug store near me whose manager had been there over 40 years! He was working there when it was Clark Drug Store back in the late '70s when I used to stop there for ice cream on my way home from junior high school!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yep. Little Frankie Germano, god bless him. Out there to discuss the fine points of umpiring with "Meathead" Magerkurth. Remember the days when everybody respected constituted authority and never gave their superiors insulting nicknames? Neither do I.

Looking closer at the photo you posted Lizzie...
v75j75.jpg

Looks like the ump landed a good one on Little Frankie's right cheek!
Or he has a thing for wearing make-up.

Last edited:
My cable box is set to open with TCM when I power it on.
Although I have a gadzillion premium channels free for being a
long time subscriber.
It's mostly TCM or PBS when I watch the telly!

We too have a stupid number of channels, but am comfortable in saying that more than 50% of what we watch on cable is TCM.

Normally, I don't wear classic mens-shirts at home. Today, I liked to try the old-fashion combi of classic shirt with Cardigan over it, for the first time. And it's nice. With the Cardigan over the shirt, the shirt itself feels much better and convenient, to me. Much better, than I thought. :)

;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Normally, I don't wear classic mens-shirts at home. Today, I liked to try the old-fashion combi of classic shirt with Cardigan over it, for the first time. And it's nice. With the Cardigan over the shirt, the shirt itself feels much better and convenient, to me. Much better, than I thought.

You actually "dress up" while at home???? o_O

Although the technology with what can be done with movies
today is great.
The story-content and personalties of the actors from the past
have spoiled me! :D

I think about this all the time as I watch modern movies - and think some are very good - but rarely do I have any interest in seeing them again. Whereas, I can watch even (to be honest) mediocre movies from the '30s - '50s over and over.

The stars, the stories, the time-travel to a period I am fascinated by - I don't know why it is that I can see those movies over and over, but it is. Did the studio system - for all its faults and mistreatments - create stars in a way that today's freelancing can't? Did the limitation of the code force a different style that somehow produced stories one wants to see again? Is it just the style of that time is more appealing to me?

I could successfully bluff my way through a college term paper answering that question with ease, but in truth, I don't really know why I can watch "Holiday" with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn the tens of times that I have, but have no desire to see "Manchester by the Sea" or "The Age of Adeline -" two decent modern movies - ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran