Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I think about this all the time as I watch modern movies - and think some are very good - but rarely do I have any interest in seeing them again. Whereas, I can watch even (to be honest) mediocre movies from the '30s - '50s over and over.

The stars, the stories, the time-travel to a period I am fascinated by - I don't know why it is that I can see those movies over and over, but it is. Did the studio system - for all its faults and mistreatments - create stars in a way that today's freelancing can't? Did the limitation of the code force a different style that somehow produced stories one wants to see again? Is it just the style of that time is more appealing to me?

I could successfully bluff my way through a college term paper answering that question with ease, but in truth, I don't really know why I can watch "Holiday" with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn the tens of times that I have, but have no desire to see "Manchester by the Sea" or "The Age of Adeline -" two decent modern movies - ever again.

You hit it right on the nail.

I even watch a mediocre movie from the 30s. I thoroughly enjoy the backgrounds very much.
Love the Chaplin, keaton & Lloyd flicks for example, when they do their thing in the city or country side.
So many beautiful places.
It's a visual time-capsule of an album from the past.

This "modern" flick comes close to what I'm talking about
with regards to the buildings and vehicles.
But I'm wearing "rose-colored" glasses as far as the violence goes. :(

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a shirt is "Dressing up"?
IN the summertime when I am at home I sometimes don't wear a collar.
Does that count?

Trenchfriend explained that he was only trying on a shirt and a Cardigan
at home to see how he felt about that combination.

If you feel like wearing a shirt without a collar at home... that's
really up to you that counts! ;)

Last edited:
...IN the summertime when I am at home I sometimes don't wear a collar. Does that count?

Knowing you as I've come to through this forum, I have to ask, do you mean you don't attach your collar to your shirt (as you are referencing those cool old-style shirts with a detachable collar) or do you mean you wear a T-shirt or similar collarless shirt? My money is on the former.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Knowing you as I've come to through this forum, I have to ask, do you mean you don't attach your collar to your shirt (as you are referencing those cool old-style shirts with a detachable collar) or do you mean you wear a T-shirt or similar collarless shirt? My money is on the former.
"Tee" shirts are but underwear in my book.

Yes, when I'm home I wear stiff collars attached with collar buttons.

When I'm back in Michigan I wear old-style clothing. Only wear soft collared shirts for yard and shop work back there.
In Cleveland I dress like a schlub. Old dress shirts (usually with collars and cuffs that want turning) khakis and low shoes.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Tennis champions wearing "underwear" in public. :D
2cfxk0g.jpg

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I sort of agree about old movies but I won't go so far as to say I can watch them over and over again. But I can enjoy a very ordinary 60-minute B-movie that I've never heard of as well as more well-known movies. The reason is because it's fresh and compared with new movies, it doesn't feel like I've already seen it from having seen so many promos about it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I sort of agree about old movies but I won't go so far as to say I can watch them over and over again. But I can enjoy a very ordinary 60-minute B-movie that I've never heard of as well as more well-known movies. The reason is because it's fresh and compared with new movies, it doesn't feel like I've already seen it from having seen so many promos about it.

I have a habit of watching previous movies over again.
But only certain favorite scenes when the mood strikes.

"Bringing Up Baby" (Grant/Hepburn) Scenes with the Ford wood-bodied station wagon.
"Professor Beware (1938) Harold Lloyd---Same as above with the Ford Woodie.
"The Searchers" and "Shane"---the ending scene.
"The Third Man"--- Wells entrance scene
Fred & Ginger---dance scenes.
There's many more.
I have the originals but...
I also re-edited the ending of the original "King Kong" (1933)
so that Mr. Kong stays with Fay Wray
also Rick flies away with Ilsa.

"Underneath that cynical shell I'm a sentimental fruitcake"

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Tennis champions wearing "underwear" in public. :D
2cfxk0g.jpg

Well. They are sportsmen. I wouldn't go around dressed in a jockey's pinks, nor do I run around in an athletic shirt like, say, Gene Tunney.

s-l300 (1).jpg

Though if I put that much effort into my physique doubtless would I seldom wear a shirt of any sort, let alone a collar.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Scenes I'll gladly watch over and over again:

The porch scene from W. C. Fields' "It's A Gift."

The scene where Harpo invades the Punch-And-Judy show in "Monkey Business."

The "Sing To Me" number from "Diplomaniacs," where Bert Wheeler and Marjorie White wrestle each other to the floor without missing a note.

The "Keep On Doin' What You're Doin'" number from "Hips Hips Hooray," where Wheeler and Woolsey team up with Dorothy Lee and Thelma Todd to destroy a businessman's entire office suite, again without missing a note.

The "Stymie cons Spud out of a hot breakfast" bit in "Dogs Is Dogs."

The "Mad As Hell" scene from "Network."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
(Another favorite scene)

And you know you are getting old when you are aware
of this:

Some more scenes:
Way Out West -- Laurel & Hardy dance routine.
The Kid -- Tramp fights authorities to rescue the "kid" scene.
City Lights -- Blind girl can see the tramp in the end.
Five Easy Pieces -- Diner scene.
It's a Gift -- Breakfast scene "What'sa matter Pop...don't ya love me?"
Orange grove scene in California....
"Hey Pop...look an orange!" .:D

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well. They are sportsmen. I wouldn't go around dressed in a jockey's pinks, nor do I run around in an athletic shirt like, say, Gene Tunney.

View attachment 70161

Though if I put that much effort into my physique doubtless would I seldom wear a shirt of any sort, let alone a collar.

Unfortunately, en déshabillé I look more like THIS these days:

40-1.jpg

Except of course I have a moustache, have quit smoking, and generally wear pince-nez rather than spectacles.
(Golly do I ever crave a cigar just now!)

Yes, when I'm home I wear stiff collars attached with collar buttons.

When I'm back in Michigan I wear old-style clothing. Only wear soft collared shirts for yard and shop work back there.
In Cleveland I dress like a schlub. Old dress shirts (usually with collars and cuffs that want turning) khakis and low shoes.
I think that the mere mention of having shirts with collars that need turning is the real giveaway of "You know you are getting old when......". I will admit to being so old to know what that means!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo