Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I have heard that Italians drive with one hand out the window and the other on the horn. But I've never been to Italy and cannot confirm that from personal experience.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have heard that Italians drive with one hand out the window and the other on the horn. But I've never been to Italy and cannot confirm that from personal experience.

Taking a cab in Puerto Vallarta.
I mentioned to the taxi driver:

"I noticed that nobody seems to get
upset or angry when you use the horn."

Taxi driver replied....

"Aaaah senor... you must be
from the USA!" :D

Drivers in Asia use the horn constantly, squeeze in front of you, cut people off, all of the things that incite road rage here, but no one seems to get upset. That's just part of driving. That road may be four marked lanes, but traffic is eight cars wide, not to mention motorcycles with women riding sidesaddle on the back with an infant on her lap, weaving in and out. You just have to be hyper aware at all times, and ready go with the flow.

Italy is "great" for a german driver!!

Legal short-time parking, everywhere, with hazard-lights on and the probably illegal "second row". Lago di Garda and the whole surrounding area. Oh my... :confused:;)

I prefer Germany:

;)

kaiser

A-List Customer
Recently enough that I don't look forward to the next time. I still get flashbacks.

Me either, I only drove there once when I had to visit the old General Motors plant, Framingham was a nightmare. Boston, where I flew into was not better either. Boston was the only place I had run into with an exit in a tunnel !

Taking a cab in Puerto Vallarta...
Several years ago my wife and I took a trip to San Francisco; to save time, we flew up from Los Angeles and rented a car. Having driven in southern California most of my life I thought I was prepared for anything, but for the first couple of days it took far longer than expected to get anywhere. Then I noticed the cab drivers didn't seem to have that problem, so I started driving the way they did and we were suddenly making record times. :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Several years ago my wife and I took a trip to San Francisco; to save time, we flew up from Los Angeles and rented a car. Having driven in southern California most of my life I thought I was prepared for anything, but for the first couple of days it took far longer than expected to get anywhere. Then I noticed the cab drivers didn't seem to have that problem, so I started driving the way they did and we were suddenly making record times. :D

Instead of Stop , the signs in Mexico will have Alto .

Taking a taxi in Nuevo Laredo, the driver never came to a stop but continued at the same rate of speed.

This was a bit unnerving to say the least.
I asked him
why he didn't stop at the intersections.
He answered, " Senor, there's no other cars at the intersection!"

I asked him, how long had he been driving like this.
He replied, " All my life senor."

"Have you ever been in an accident?"
I asked him.

He replied,
"No senor, but I might if I drive as you suggest!"

"When in Rome.... " :D

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Pink Panther movies where Peter Sellers asked the local native,
"Do you know the time?"

And the native replies.... "yes!"