Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I think you're safe - if she wasn't patient and reserved in the execution of her powers, I'd have been out of here long ago.

I sincerely have no pictures of myself from the '70s, my mom might, but we weren't a picture taking family. However, I imagine, if we did, I would not be particularly proud of them. Almost no one on earth looked good in the 1970s.

When mom passed away, I found a trunk of albums, postcards
letters and family photos which she kept.

That woman never threw anything away.
I have those images now and cannot bring myself to get rid of them.

Fall of ’68 prior to departing for overseas duty.
2jakes-foto.jpg

When I look at these images, I wonder....
Was there ever a time I wasn’t
wearing sunglasses?

86738-c9999e6b075622c401ad4ccba070d246.jpg.gif

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you're getting old when your
desk by the bedside looks like a medicine chest and you are not ill:
71C74F35-B508-4B92-9B78-94F0306B1F77.jpeg
Bottle water, saline nose drops,eye drops,
ear drops, mouth wash. Mostly moisturizers
recommended by the doc.

I feel good that I don't require pills
for serious body ailments like my dad.
At least so far I don't.

You know you're getting old when your
desk by the bedside looks like a medicine chest and you are not ill:
View attachment 137709
Bottle water, saline nose drops,eye drops,
ear drops, mouth wash. Mostly moisturizers
recommended by the doc.

I feel good that I don't require pills
for serious body ailments like my dad.
At least so far I don't.

A variation on the theme of this one: you know you are getting old when you still have all your teeth, but you have a six-step, dentist-assigned process to clean your teeth (floss, brush, pick, scrape tongue, use fluoride wash, put in retainer) that takes almost fifteen minutes where you used to brush your teeth in three minute and were done with it.

...I feel good that I don't require pills for serious body ailments like my dad.
At least so far I don't.
It can get just as bad taking supplements like vitamins or anything else that's designed to stave off those "serious body ailments" and/or maintain your health. Once a day I take one prescription med because my cholesterol is a little high, but I also take a One-A-Day multivitamin and two capsules that help to boost my immune system and defend against whichever version of a cold or flu is circulating among the masses at any given moment. That's not counting the two Excedrin Extra Strength pills I take every six to eight hours to take the edge off of my chronic back pain, or the nasal spray so I can kind of breathe through my broken nose. :rolleyes:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It can get just as bad taking supplements like vitamins or anything else that's designed to stave off those "serious body ailments" and/or maintain your health. Once a day I take one prescription med because my cholesterol is a little high, but I also take a One-A-Day multivitamin and two capsules that help to boost my immune system and defend against whichever version of a cold or flu is circulating among the masses at any given moment. That's not counting the two Excedrin Extra Strength pills I take every six to eight hours to take the edge off of my chronic back pain, or the nasal spray so I can kind of breathe through my broken nose. :rolleyes:

That's terrible Zombie_61... I really feel for you.
Hope you are feeling better today!

Btw:
B57DCA3F-FD83-4DFA-8C40-8DA2E865BB4B.jpeg
When you post notes all over the house.

The thing that freaks me out is leaving the
front door opened all night or forgetting
to close the back door hatch to the car.

Most serious are the gas stove knobs.
Polo jumped to the stove and slightly
moved the knobs on.
Luckily I woke up during the night and
turned it off. I hate gas stoves.
Folks in Temecula have the electric type
with no knobs.
You merely press in certain locations.
Thing is there is no indication on the top
of the stove which one is turned on.

Dummy me... I pressed around with my
hand to find out which one was on.

:(
I found out!

o_O
Butter helped to ease the pain!

That's terrible Zombie_61... I really feel for you.
Hope you are feeling better today!
Thank you, I sincerely appreciate that. I was six years old when my nose was broken, so it's been a bit of a challenge for as long as I can remember. But everyone seems to have something like this that they have to deal with, so all things considered I really can't complain.

My wife and I will be spending a good part of our day today with long-time friends we consider family, so I'm definitely going to be feeling good!

...The thing that freaks me out is leaving the front door opened all night or forgetting to close the back door hatch to the car...
Years ago I got into the habit of "doing the rounds" before going to bed just to make sure the doors are locked, lights and such have been turned off, the cat and dog have food and water, and so on. Sometimes I feel like the Warden at a small prison. :D

To several posts above, both growing up and now, someone in the house always did "rounds" before we all went to bed as I don't know how else you'd know that all the doors are shut, windows down (if it's going to rain), lights / oven / etc., are off....

Even in our small apartment, one of us will always check our three doors are locked, windows down (if necessary) and oven is off - I can't image going to bed and not doing that. When I was a young man in my late teens and twenties, living alone (mainly), I always did that as well. I don't think it's a sign of getting old; it just seems like common sense to me.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
To several posts above, both growing up and now, someone in the house always did "rounds" before we all went to bed as I don't know how else you'd know that all the doors are shut, windows down (if it's going to rain), lights / oven / etc., are off....

Even in our small apartment, one of us will always check our three doors are locked, windows down (if necessary) and oven is off - I can't image going to bed and not doing that. When I was a young man in my late teens and twenties, living alone (mainly), I always did that as well. I don't think it's a sign of getting old; it just seems like common sense to me.

I was just the opposite in my youth. I never checked anything.
Just dumb luck nothing happened.
Except on one occasion, rushing to get to work on time.
Sitting in the car warming it up, I noticed I had forgotten
my lunch bag.
Went back to the kitchen, opened the icebox.
The cat was inside trying to get to my tuna sandwiches.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Another sign of getting older is when you get to that day, as I have the other day, of being fed up with having Isaac Asimov eyebrows and thus visit the drug store to buy a small pair of trimming scissors to keep said eyebrows under firmer control.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Another sign of getting older is when you get to that day, as I have the other day, of being fed up with having Isaac Asimov eyebrows and thus visit the drug store to buy a small pair of trimming scissors to keep said eyebrows under firmer control.

When I was young, older women would tell me I had beautiful eyes
with long dark eyelashes.
Nowadays, I have more hair growing around my ears and nose.

Come to think of it... it wouldn't be such a bad idea if more hair
would grow around my ears especially in the wintertime.

I wouldn't have to bother with buying ear muffs.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Yeah, I noticed that my hair on my crown is beginning to migrate south and settling around the nose and ears too! Why does everything on my body have to move south as I get older! At this rate I'll be living in a trailer park in deepest Arizona before long!

3fingers

One Too Many

One of my sisters and I got a healthy dose of OCD from our grandfather. It isn't debilitating by any means, but we are compulsive checkers. I have worked really hard to keep it under control and I have gotten much better as I have gotten older. It is more of a minor annoyance for me now. It remains a daily struggle for my sister.

One of my sisters and I got a healthy dose of OCD from our grandfather. It isn't debilitating by any means, but we are compulsive checkers. I have worked really hard to keep it under control and I have gotten much better as I have gotten older. It is more of a minor annoyance for me now. It remains a daily struggle for my sister.

My girlfriend and I are the same way - not at all debilitating, but I will pulled on a door handle several times in a row if I don't tell myself, "stop, it's clearly locked," and I have gotten out of bed "just to check again" that a window is down, etc. But I do know some people who struggle - I had a trader on my team who fought everyday not to let it take over his life.

Come to think of it... it wouldn't be such a bad idea if more hair
would grow around my ears especially in the wintertime.

Ah, you brought a thing to my mind! A thing, I always wondered about.

We all know the "good old" reliable polyacrylic winter-knitcaps, the basic line of wintercaps.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=winterm%C3%BCtze%20schwarz%20herren&cbir=sbi&imageBin=&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=winterm%C3%BCtze%20schwarz%20herren&sc=0-26&sk=&
cvid=658F3F17EE8543329B5667D96D7E5E1E

In Germany, I see every year in wintertime, that nearly all men, wearing them, don't pull them over the ears, although they are made for this and it would be no problem to do.

I just couldn't let the ears uncovered, myself. The coldness would kill them! Just wondering about, how the other guys can withstand this on minus °C. o_O

HanauMan

Practically Family

We all know the "good old" reliable polyacrylic winter-knitcaps, the basic line of wintercaps.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=winterm%C3%BCtze%20schwarz%20herren&cbir=sbi&imageBin=&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=winterm%C3%BCtze%20schwarz%20herren&sc=0-26&sk=&

In Germany, I see every year in wintertime, that nearly all men, wearing them, don't pull them over the ears, although they are made for this and it would be no problem to do.

I just couldn't let the ears uncovered, myself. The coldness would kill them! Just wondering about, how the other guys can withstand this on minus °C. o_O

I'm the same, I need to cover my ears too. In fact, I have just taken out my watch cap / beanie today for the first time as it has gotten much colder recently.

But, yes, I have also seen guys wearing them in the snow with their ears exposed, usually the same guys going around in T- shirts in the snow. Oh look at me, I'm so tough kind of guys. Big muscles, no brains, or perhaps I'm being unkind to them. Maybe they're going thru the (male) menopause!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Waiting for the space shuttle to land, we had to be checked in
very early in the morning.
It was very cold at the flightline and I had my ears covered.
JG.jpg

The sun broke through and was able to get a clear shot.
Most guys that don't protect themselves usually wind up
getting sick.
But there are some dudes that can withstand the cold.
I called them “snowbirds”, they mostly come from up North.

I'm the same, I need to cover my ears too. In fact, I have just taken out my watch cap / beanie today for the first time as it has gotten much colder recently.

But, yes, I have also seen guys wearing them in the snow with their ears exposed, usually the same guys going around in T- shirts in the snow. Oh look at me, I'm so tough kind of guys. Big muscles, no brains, or perhaps I'm being unkind to them. Maybe they're going thru the (male) menopause!
The temperature in this part of the world rarely drops low enough for most southern Californians to need something to keep their ears warm, but we have more than a few nitwits here who take it to the other extreme by wearing dark-colored knit caps and/or sweatshirts with the sleeves pulled down and the hood covering their heads during the summer months when temperatures are near or over 100°F. I realize this is simply the "daily uniform" they've chosen for various reasons, but when I'm sitting in my truck with the air conditioner on and I'm still sweating I can't imagine what these people were thinking when they got dressed that morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy