Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I'm very nearsighted, which means I can't see squat more than two feet away without my glasses. But I see just fine close up without them, and it's gotten more disparate over the years. So I can't read with my glasses anymore. My eye doctor said I need bifocals, but the lower part will be just a clear lens. So I said, "you mean I need to get bifocals in order to *not* look through corrective lenses?" "Exactly."

Sigh.

I have the same problem, but I have been wearing tri-focals for the past decade or so. At least the doctor will add some magnification to the uncorrected reading portions so the letters look a little larger. I have been wearing glasses for the past 54 years and it has only been recently where I could read a book without my glasses. Without tri-focals I cannot see the speedometer on my car, so I had to get tri-focal sunglasses so I could use them when driving.

rjb1

Practically Family
I'm like Hudsonhawk and am quite nearsighted but can see fine up to about two feet with no glasses. My eye doctor was honest enough to say that I could either get bifocals or just take off my regular glasses when I wanted to read. Of course I chose the latter. For doing car work or machining I just wear some plain-glass safety lenses.

I'm like Hudsonhawk and am quite nearsighted but can see fine up to about two feet with no glasses. My eye doctor was honest enough to say that I could either get bifocals or just take off my regular glasses when I wanted to read. Of course I chose the latter. For doing car work or machining I just wear some plain-glass safety lenses.

I didn't mean to imply my doctor was dishonest about the bifocals, he said of course I can continue to lift and take off my glasses every time I need to read something. Only that I'd eventually get tired of that, and want the bifocals, which would have a non-corrected reading part.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
There are some people that have vision issues all over a variety of ranges of distance. I am one of them. lol!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know that you are getting old when you spend ten minutes looking for the glasses that have been perched on your forehead for the entire ten minutes of your search. Likewise it may be the sock that's on your foot that you have spent a good ten minutes looking for. But my wife is the one who takes the biscuit on fruitless searches. She has a pair of swivel lense specs, each lense can swivel up, allowing her to apply make-up to the eye. There have been times when she has swivelled both lenses up and not realised it, then spent ten minutes looking for her make up glasses.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I actually resorted to trying on reading glasses at the drug store today -- no soap, they don't have them strong enough. My left eye is almost completely shot -- I can't see anything but blur unless the page is about six inches away, which doesn't make for very comfortable reading. Maybe there's something in that monocle idea after all.

...My left eye is almost completely shot -- I can't see anything but blur unless the page is about six inches away, which doesn't make for very comfortable reading...
At my last place of employment one of my co-workers' vision was so bad that he had the hold the shop cards (i.e., the documentation that tells the shop personnel what to do with the parts) 2-3" inches in front of his face in order to read them. To this day I have no idea how he obtained his driver's license.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
At my last place of employment one of my co-workers' vision was so bad that he had the hold the shop cards (i.e., the documentation that tells the shop personnel what to do with the parts) 2-3" inches in front of his face in order to read them. To this day I have no idea how he obtained his driver's license.
Leaning over the wheel, or riding on the hood.
Take your pick. :D

Or he took his test in a small town like Herman Munster.

You know you are getting old when you use pop culture references that are older than the employees you manage. :(

Story of my life...
Been there, done that. But sometimes people are just "pop culture challenged". My last supervisor at my last place of employment is only a year younger than I am and he didn't know who the Marx Brothers were until I told him. :eusa_doh:

green papaya

One Too Many
You know you are getting old when your collectables show age and start getting that old tarnished look or patina from being in your collection for years, when your collection starts deteriorating you know your also getting old and fragile like an antique

your house doesnt look like new anymore like it did 30 - 40 years ago

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know that you are getting old when you are prepared to wait in line behind someone with a week's shopping rather than scan your few items through the self service till. You just can't be arsed to learn that stupid new technology.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You know you're getting old when you mention you knew any number of people who were alive in the 19th Century and the kid to whom you mentioned this looks at you like you just said you waited table at the Last Supper.

green papaya

One Too Many
you know your getting old when you tell people you have shook hands with Bob Hope or Steve McQueen and they dont even know who they are? some young people never even heard of actor Clint Eastwood before, I was talking to a Japanese tourist once about a filming location where one of Clint Eastwoods movies was filmed, and he asked if I was Clint Eastwood? lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW