Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Fountain of youth has been found!

Headline: “It Sure Looks Like Humans Have Found a Way to Reverse Aging”

In a clinical trial, 35 healthy adults aged 64 and older received 60 oxygen therapy sessions daily over the course of three months. The scientists collected the subjects' blood samples prior to treatment, after the first and second months of the trial, and two weeks after the trial was over. None of the patients had any lifestyle, diet, or medication changes throughout the study, and yet their blood work showed significant increases in the telomere length of their cells and a decrease in the number of their senescent cells.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a34730692/study-reverse-aging-in-humans/

For starters, the study was extremely small. More importantly, do we really want to live in a world where rich people get to live to be 200 years old? I think not. But maybe I’m just a curmudgeon.

^^^^^
I’d welcome the doubling and tripling of the human lifespan, provided we all didn’t have to spend 120 years or more in a highly diminished condition. The lives of the elderly are still very much lives worth living, but should the ravages of age proceed unchecked for several decades beyond what we think of as a good long life these days? What then?

I’ve found it easier to accept mortality the older I get. Still, it’s not a contradiction to say I’m more concerned for the future the less of it I have. I want things to last. I wish to preserve. I wish to see trees planted and kids educated and science advanced.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The moon landing to kids today is as approximately remote a historical event as World War I was to the kids who remember watching the moon landing.

World War II is approximately as remote to us today as the Civil War was to those who fought World War II.

Having memories today of knowing a World War I veteran in the flesh is as knowing a veteran of the War of 1812 would have been to a person living during World War I.

Many of us here personally knew people who, in their youths, personally knew persons alive during the presidency of Andrew Jackson. Those persons, in turn, knew in their youths persons who were alive before the American Revolution.

Tiki Tom

That’s an interesting perspective, Lizzie. My grandfather on my mother’s side was a WWI vet. I knew him well. Great guy. Lived into his early 90s. He probably knew vets of the Franco-Prussian war or the revolutions of 1848! My wife’s father was a WWII vet. My kids can say they knew a Vietnam vet (my older brother) but that’s about it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My wife’s father was a WWII vet.
Test Scan.jpg
My Dad in 1939, before going off to war. He was captured on the island of Crete in 1941. His brother, just eighteen months younger, joined the RAF and paid the ultimate price when he was shot down over the North Sea in 1942.

mrgrumpy

New in Town
At a mess dinner in 1984 I met a 100 year old veteran of the Boer War who had been a little creative with his birth date and enlisted to fight in South Africa at the age of 16. It is just conceivable that as a child he could have met a Waterloo veteran of the same age.

I spent part of the summer of 1968 in the same house as a man who was born in 1870. I was told he was pretty sharp and living independently up to a couple-three years before I knew him, but by then his bag of marbles was mostly empty. Too bad, really. I would have liked to have heard his accounts of his early days.

My dear old ma (her birthday is today, by the way) pretty well mesmerizes one of her great-grandsons with tales of life during the Depression and WWII. The young man just can’t get enough of her recollections of her childhood days. And he helps with her household chores. Good kid.

Last edited:
The moon landing to kids today is as approximately remote a historical event as World War I was to the kids who remember watching the moon landing.

World War II is approximately as remote to us today as the Civil War was to those who fought World War II.

Having memories today of knowing a World War I veteran in the flesh is as knowing a veteran of the War of 1812 would have been to a person living during World War I.

Many of us here personally knew people who, in their youths, personally knew persons alive during the presidency of Andrew Jackson. Those persons, in turn, knew in their youths persons who were alive before the American Revolution.
I was in awe of my maternal grandfather when he told me he had actually gone to see Buffalo Bill and his Wild West Show when he first emigrated to America.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 282593 recal
My Dad in 1939, before going off to war. He was captured on the island of Crete in 1941.

After Vietnam I did an advisory tour with the Greek Army near Thessalonikki, and I recall walking
into a bar there and the bartender, a Crete native, poured me a free drink to commemorate his first
German kill. The knife used hung on the wall behind him. The Second World War was much in evidence
with concrete German pillbox; wild Alsatians intermixed with indigenous breeds; stories told by local
villagers about Nazi cruelty. I served at a time when there were still WWII veterans on active duty,
not yet retired and full of piss and vinegar and a zest for life and the simple joy of being alive.'
When I was in the 12th Special Forces there was a WWII vet whom had been captured by the Germans.
I once met a first sergeant who told me that as a youth he had shaken the hand of a Civil War veteran
whom had shaken a Revolutionary War veteran's hand.

Turnip

View attachment 282593
My Dad in 1939, before going off to war. He was captured on the island of Crete in 1941. His brother, just eighteen months younger, joined the RAF and paid the ultimate price when he was shot down over the North Sea in 1942.

My Dad has been a teenager when WWII ended and once he told me how he and some other members of his Hitlerjugend unit have been ordered to sweep dead bodies from the beach that have been washed ashore for several days after allied planes sunk some ships nearby.
My Mom told how she’s been hunted by allied planes several times on her way to school and how my Grandma hid a German deserter in the attic during last days of the Reich.

Man, I’m an old sack...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana