Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Pretty sure I got the oral polio vaccine as well. (No scar on my arm.) My recollection of it is so distant and amorphous that I wouldn’t bet on its reliability. Still, though, I have a dim memory of an event in Sun Prairie, Wisc. where I got the dose. I think.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I got the sugar cube for polio and the pickle-fork for smallpox, and just a regular hypo for measles. Not all at once, though, I think they were spread out a bit so we wouldn't be overwhelmed.

Talking to my mother last night, she was remembering how she almost died from measles when she was five or six years old. A great many kids in the pre-measles vaccine era weren't so lucky.

Fifty150

One Too Many
distributed the vaccine on sugar cubes

I have a similar memory of LSD on sugar cubes.

Covid vaccines just started rolling out. Already, there's bickering and controversy. In my local area, certain "community leaders" have been very vocal that their community has been hit hardest by Covid, and that their population is entitled to preferential vaccination. How anyone can claim that they are most impacted by Corona Virus, I don't know. The most current information, which is an incomplete picture of reality, shows that this particular segment of the population accounts for 2.8% vaccination. Interpret statistics however you want, and massage the numbers to fit your agenda. It's not as if this particular minority group is reporting for vaccination, then denied based on race. In as far as I believe the course of events, vaccinations are administered in tiers with priorities set for age groups and by profession. 1st was residents and employees at nursing homes. Then seniors in the community over age 75. Followed by seniors over 65. Then essential public service personnel such as doctors, nurses, hospital workers, healthcare field employees, ambulance drivers, fire fighters, police. Next in line are education - teachers, administrators, anyone working in a school..... Logistics, transportation, all sorts of job classifications have been placed into a line-up. Labor unions have been lobbying as to why their members should be further ahead in the line.

I don't know. I can't begin to pretend that my opinion matters. I'm not qualified to decide who gets a vaccine 1st. Or how to prioritize distribution of Covid vaccines. My broader view is that here in The United States of America, not 1 segment of the population should be given race based preference for anything. Period. Nobody in this country should be entitled to get anything based on race based policy. You don't get jobs, promotions, financing, admissions to institutions of higher learning, better pricing for goods and services.....nothing should be handed out based on race. We have fought too hard for civil rights and equality. Equality meaning equal. Nobody is letting the women and children go 1st.

Fifty150

One Too Many
A great many kids in the pre-measles vaccine era weren't so lucky.

In high school, there was kid who had metal braces on his legs because of of childhood polio. I'm not that old. With the glimmer of hope that those types of diseases have been wiped out in the modern world, we get a handful of people who will not vaccinate their children. His parents wholeheartedly believed in a natural and organic way of life. They were vegetarians. I remember his mom lecturing me about how "my people" treated The Dalai Lama. And they apparently believed that Jenny McCarthy was a scientist.

I fear the Corona Virus continuing to spread and mutate, because of people who won't get vaccinated.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I don't think Charlie Sheen wore a wig. His offsider, Jon Cryer, in that terrible show did have fake spray on hair.
charliesheennaturalhair.jpg

https://www.gretasday.com/bald-celebrities-that-may-surprise-you/

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

So that demonstrates to me he doesn't wear a wig. He has good stubble growth after a shave and a widow's peak. His hair is not what it was, sure, but product can fill in the blanks. You can see the window's peak when his hair is long. That article - and there are whole websites frequented by resentful men with no hair who 'out' people as bald - makes claims about almost every actor in Hollywood. And sure there are many. And many who are not.

Charlie-Sheen1.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That article - and there are whole websites frequented by resentful men with no hair who 'out' people as bald - makes claims about almost every actor in Hollywood. And sure there are many.
Resentful is the perfect word, Connery lost no kudos as Dr Jones Snr, without his 007 rug, nor did Patrick Stewart when he portrayed Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Is it Hollywood that "creates" the perfect image? My former, lovely neighbour had us in stitches when she told us about buying a bra. It was a size 30 AA, on the packet it read: "Your very first bra." She threw it back on the shelf in disgust. She had four children and had suckled every one of them, but a Hollywood bosom she did not have.

An interesting thing on me:
The older I get, the better I react to / the more I like Rock'n'Roll music.

I got it since 1997, liked "Young Boy" much, but was too young for the whole album back then, but it got better from year to year!

Still just an asskickin' great album!!

Harp in the "So trivial..." thread brought it to my mind. Thanks, buddy!

If someday the extra low-waist jeans and the whale tail from the early 2000's will reappear on the girls, THEN I wll feel REALLY OLD!

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Re "Hollywood Bosoms," it's interesting and instructive to catch a glimpse of some of the "girlie" shows at the New York World's Fair, as preserved in various surviving home-movie clips readily available online. Footage shot at the "N. T. G. Congress of Beauty and Sun-worshippers' Colony" is especially illustrative of what the average bosom in 1939 looked like, as displayed by assorted bored Hunter College students picking up a few bucks sitting around in the Flushing afternoon sun with only the most compulsory covering. You will see precisely no hyper-pneumatic mammaries, and very few bustlines over what would probably be an "A" cup today.

Large shelf-like bosoms, at least until the rise of the "sweater girl" craze, were expected of dowagers and comic-strip mothers-in-law, not young women. And America in general was nowhere near as boobie-obsessed as it is today -- that had to wait until the postwar era and the appearance on television of Faye Emerson and Dagmar.,

GHT

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^
Bullet bras were in fashion when I was a quite young lad. I was left with a stunningly distorted perspective on such matters.
As a schoolboy of that period, my friends and I would make smutty remarks about the conical shape, likening it to something akin to the propeller of a WW2 fighter plane. A couple of burlesque tassels and she would be airborne.
How innocent that seems now with no holds barred images in every sort of madia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk