Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not quite. Gravity constantly pulls on our ears and noses among other body parts, slowly breaking down the cartilage and causing them to sag which gives the illusion they're growing. So his ears (and nose) are probably a bit longer than they were in '69, but not necessarily bigger.
How right you are.
jd2.jpg Jimmy_durante_1964.jpg

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sigh. Just changed my location from Vienna to Oahu. Retirement has arrived. Flying very early on Thursday morning in the direction of my wife’s home town. I think we are hitting a window of travel opportunity: we are tested and vaccinated and, even though all the paperwork seems random and not uniform across borders, I think (knock on wood) we will be allowed in. :rolleyes:

I love Hawaii. But, at the same time, it breaks my heart to be leaving Vienna. So many good times and so much to be thankful for. You know you are getting old when every change is bitter-sweet.

Sigh. Just changed my location from Vienna to Oahu...You know you are getting old when every change is bitter-sweet.
Well, moving from a landlocked European country to an island in the south Pacific is a pretty drastic change, even if you have fond sentiments for both locations. I mean, I've lived in the Los Angeles area of southern California for nearly 60 years now, and if I ever have to move to a place that is so completely different as Oahu is to Austria I'm pretty sure my feelings about that will be more than "bitter-sweet".

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I love Hawaii. But, at the same time, it breaks my heart to be leaving Vienna. So many good times and so much to be thankful for. You know you are getting old when every change is bitter-sweet.
Zombie hit it on the head, it is a drastic change. When I was 35, a promotion at work meant relocating from London to the midland county of Northamptonshire. Almost every day I wanted to put the for sale sign up outside the house. You can take the kid out of London, but you can't take London out of the kid. But my wife constantly reminded me that we agreed two years, I was so glad that she insisted. Sixteen years later, we relocated to our present home, it was with a very heavy heart as we left Northamptonshire, but the same as with leaving London has happened here, we have found a good circle of friends, become established and have fallen in love with where we live. But each move took time to settle in. Your move is off the radar, I do hope that you settle and at least with the internet, email and modern communications, the pond has been drastically shrunk.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Sigh. Just changed my location from Vienna to Oahu. Retirement has arrived.

I love Hawaii...

I retired at twenty, Kaneohe Beach, surf board, and Makiki Heights studio crash pad.
Caught the bus at the Ala Moana shopping center for .25 a pop. Waves, wahinies, occasional roast pig luau.
Decided to amount to something other than surfer beach bum. Returned mainland. College, grad school, law school.

Biggest mistake I ever made.:eek:;)

All the best in retirement. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
… you change the channel on the TV to watch the quilting show on PBS on Saturday morning, not because you have any particular interest in quilting, but because at least it isn’t manufactured outrage (cable news bloviators) or phony “reality” programming.

I've come to find that guy on the cable shopping channel that flogs not-rare 'rare coins" to be strangely calming. "Folks -- these Mercury dimes are made of real silver -- ninety percent -- you just don't find them in your pocket change anymore, folks, but we've got them here in our special bag offer -- one quarter pound for just $101 plus shipping folks, we've got just fifty nine bags left, and they're priced to move. And folks, you won't find these in your pocket change anymore..."

He's the Bob Ross of trash numismatics.

^^^^^^
I’ve often half-watched Sewing with Nancy on PBS, mostly because I admired (and had a mild crush on) Nancy Zieman, the show’s host and namesake.

Ms. Zieman, who passed away late in 2017 at age 64, had Bell’s Palsy, and showed the unmistakable symptom of facial paralysis. She had real ’nads, that Nancy Zieman did.

I've come to find that guy on the cable shopping channel that flogs not-rare 'rare coins" to be strangely calming. "Folks -- these Mercury dimes are made of real silver -- ninety percent -- you just don't find them in your pocket change anymore, folks, but we've got them here in our special bag offer -- one quarter pound for just $101 plus shipping folks, we've got just fifty nine bags left, and they're priced to move. And folks, you won't find these in your pocket change anymore..."

He's the Bob Ross of trash numismatics.

Lessee here, that’s about $4.80 face value, so they’re practically giving ’em away. There must be a significant shipping and handling fee on top of that hundred and one bucks. Gotta be. Can’t see how they could possibly be making money otherwise.

SteveFord

A-List Customer
...you get the mail and the only thing in there is junk mail from a Funeral Home and Crematory trying to get you to sign up!
What the hell is this, I thought the AARP thing was bad but nooooooooooo...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
This happens to me, Catholic cemeteries and the like. I received a phone call on my cell from
the archdiocesean cemetery staff regarding Catholic burial, payment options etc and I informed them
that Arlington National Cemetery was designated final resting place, pax vobiscum.

… you change the channel on the TV to watch the quilting show on PBS on Saturday morning, not because you have any particular interest in quilting, but because at least it isn’t manufactured outrage (cable news bloviators) or phony “reality” programming.
I do that quite a bit because it can be calming, peaceful, kind, informative, and/or entertaining. It tends to be an escape to a nicer place.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112