Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
No lie. People do not believe me when I tell them that I actually sat at one of these desks when I was a kid in school!

renner4.jpg

I remember those desks.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You know you are getting old when you can remember when General Motors made great cars.

You are really getting old when you can remember when England made great cars.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You are really getting old when you can remember when England made great cars.

I am making a long drive tomorrow to look at a real British car. We've looked at quite a few since we sold The Packard. Judging by the photos, this could be what we are looking for:

UMG 804 (1).jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
That has been a while. :p

That time existed?!:p
They made some pretty good cars in the fifties . You may have heard of the Austin Healey 100, Triumph TR3, MG TD, Jaguar XK120 and Bentley Continental but they made other kinds of cars too.

In the sixties Austin had a full line of front wheel drive sedans before Honda made a car. Standard Triumph's Vanguard could have been the English Volvo. Rover and Humber had the "gentlemen's club" interior down pat, all leather, polished wood and black faced gauges like a Rolls in a smaller package. Jaguar, Bentley and Rolls Royce need no introduction.

They threw all that away years ago. Gone but not forgotten, we mourn our loss. Those of us old enough to remember.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
As a friend of mine said: "You're getting old if you remember what those holes in the desks were for, and actually had to use them!"

Those holes in the desk, if the stories I've heard are true, had more than one purpose. Pigtails being a popular hairstyle helped make it possible for anyone sitting behind a girl with hair long enough, could find her hair being "dunked" into the ink held in place by that ink well hole.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
They made some pretty good cars in the fifties . You may have heard of the Austin Healey 100, Triumph TR3, MG TD, Jaguar XK120 and Bentley Continental but they made other kinds of cars too.

In the sixties Austin had a full line of front wheel drive sedans before Honda made a car. Standard Triumph's Vanguard could have been the English Volvo. Rover and Humber had the "gentlemen's club" interior down pat, all leather, polished wood and black faced gauges like a Rolls in a smaller package. Jaguar, Bentley and Rolls Royce need no introduction.

They threw all that away years ago. Gone but not forgotten, we mourn our loss. Those of us old enough to remember.

MGTD reliable? Maybe you are thinking of the TF?

All of those had the same problems. They were good for about two weeks out of the month. The Triumphs were the worst but Austin was second worst.
If you ever had to trace down an electrical problem in one of those beasts you know what a nightmare they were.Right down to the genius who decided it was a good idea to mount the battery under the dash so it could leak on your wool carpets.:doh:
I won’t even mention the forever oil leak problems they had.
Even the early 90s Jags had a wiring mess.A friend of mine was trying to chase down why the trunk wouldn’t open but he found he had to go through four fuse boxes to find the right one to replace. The fuse for it was in the trunk that wouldn't open. lol lol
I remember those too well. :doh:

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Even the early 90s Jags had a wiring mess.[/SIZE]A friend of mine was trying to chase down why the trunk wouldn’t open but he found he had to go through four fuse boxes to find the right one to replace. The fuse for it was in the trunk that wouldn't open. lol lol[/FONT][/COLOR]
I remember those too well. :doh:

That must've been designed by the same mental wonder who designed our new digital projection system.

Tech: I need you to enter this diagnostic code and send me the report.

Me: I can't get the thing to boot up.

Tech: Ja (he's German), go to the diagnostic menu and enter the code and send me the report.

Me: Yeah, I heard you, I can't get the thing to boot up.

Tech: Ja, enter the diagnostic code and get me the report.

(ad infinitum)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy