Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Happy birthday to your twins Bob, my own father was 28 years older than me. Dad lived until he was 92. The only time that growing old freaked him was when I turned 60.
Growing old is not a problem for me because my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be. But it does get scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If you remember these things....

Snow
nv17og.png

Transparent sheet to make it appear that you are viewing in color.
6xq7bb.jpg

Vertical & horizontal problems which were adjusted with the rabbit ear antennae.
2uts2dy.jpg

Playing the national anthem at the end of programing & off the air (midnight)
2093y0y.png

^^^^^
Thirty-three years ago was 1983, which seems not very long ago. Certainly not 33 years!

But I got through the second grade at Herbert Schenk Elementary School, more than half a century ago, and unless my basic arithmetic skills have slipped considerably since then, my calculations say it is indeed true -- 33 years since 1983. I haven't changed all that much since then, but I am taken aback by how much everybody else has aged.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had a crush on our TV repairman. He was a guy named Russell Shoals, and I used to call him "Muscle" Shoals, and he didn't get the joke. "No, it's Russell," he'd say.

Our old Philco lasted nearly twenty years before my brother attacked it with a machete and destroyed it one day because he was bored. Ah, happy days.

I had a crush on our TV repairman. He was a guy named Russell Shoals, and I used to call him "Muscle" Shoals, and he didn't get the joke. "No, it's Russell," he'd say.

Our old Philco lasted nearly twenty years before my brother attacked it with a machete and destroyed it one day because he was bored. Ah, happy days.

You've had a full and, well, colorful life.

It was years before I understood the line in the song "Sweet Home Alabama:" "Now Muscle Shoals has got the swampers."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
zenith_space_command.jpg

Invented in 1956 -- a *sonic* remote control, on which tapping each button sounded a tiny chime which caused motors to engage on the television set and operate the controls.

Or if you really want to feel old --

dialparts.jpg

The Philco Mystery Control, the very first wireless remote, introduced in 1939. A tiny radio transmitter inside the casing operates the controls on equipped models of Philco console radios.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The fatal flaw of the Zenith Space Command was that certain other sounds produced the same frequency required to activate the motors. Rattling of keys or a handful of coins could cause the channels to change at random moments, a flaw quickly discovered and exploited by vengeful children.

We never had any such thing at our house, of course. Half the time there wasn't even a channel knob -- a pair of pliers was kept handy for turning the bare tuner shaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo