Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

On the other hand, William Francis Lee III will turn 70 soon and still goes a hundred innings or so a year for the Burlington Cardinals. When he isn't running for office, that is.

I still play in what some call the Denial League. The oldest guy on my team is 60, the youngest 22. The young guys are always surprised that some of us old guys can still hit.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
zenith_space_command.jpg

Invented in 1956 -- a *sonic* remote control, on which tapping each button sounded a tiny chime which caused motors to engage on the television set and operate the controls.

Or if you really want to feel old --

dialparts.jpg

The Philco Mystery Control, the very first wireless remote, introduced in 1939. A tiny radio transmitter inside the casing operates the controls on equipped models of Philco console radios.

I used the "Space Command" chassis salvaged from a neighbor's discarded Zenith television set (discarded in favor of a color set when the picture tube finally failed. The thing had three tube brighteners in series connected to it!) to control a simple robot which I built in Seventh grade. It worked reasonably well, would go forward, reverse, and turn right and left, but was encumbered by a 117VAC umbilical cord.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I still play in what some call the Denial League. The oldest guy on my team is 60, the youngest 22. The young guys are always surprised that some of us old guys can still hit.

In a mens tennis league several years ago, there was a situation
with regards to age.
One kid 16 & the rest of the group in the 40-60 age bracket.

It must be a sign of old age or just plain rudeness.
But the first day with everyone at the net before
the matches began.
One senior member remarks to the others.
“I didn’t know they allowed little kids in the league, ha-ha-ha!”
They all laughed.
I told those ace-holes, "I wish I could run fast like him!”.

I could see he was not having a good time & playing poorly.
I told him to pay no never mind.

A year later, this “kid" had improved so much that the
old hackers could not keep up with him.

And to this day, he smiles & greets me by my name.
Something that most youngsters hardly do today, even
if they know who you are.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My hearing seems to have taken a toll as I have got older. My wife's medical had been due, so dutifully I took her to see her doctor. "How is she?" I asked the him. "She has acute angina," he told me. I thought that he was being complimentary.

Had a similar problem checking our supplies before going shopping: "Do we need anything?" I asked my wife. "Yes," she said, "cannellini beans."
Where would I find a can of lonely beans, I mused.

When you're thinking about, what would be the primary most important thing in the moring, before starting into the day, and you realize, that in your earlier days you would have said "teethbrushing", but now, you would say "at least having breakfast". ;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Things that I took for granted and/or never gave it a second thought in my youth.

Waking up in the morning after a full night’s sleep
and being able to get out of bed without too much physical pain.

And feeling good on the rare occasions when it happens nowadays.:)

Things that I took for granted and/or never gave it a second thought in my youth.

Waking up in the morning after a full night’s sleep
and being able to get out of bed without too much physical pain.

And feeling good on the rare occasions when it happens nowadays.:)

So, better no very low Futon-bed?? :D

Good old times of driving my lovely Kia Sephia Sedan 1.6 from 1995 with its height of only 1,39 metre, sitting sporty relatively near to the ground, without a seat-lift. And curiously, this normal Sephia-exemplary got sporty-tense suspension, woohoo. Lucky 48.000 km. :D

Today, I would surely be astonished about such driving!

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Some years ago I was in my hometown doing research for a book. I got the microfilms (yes, that was what they had) of the old town newspapers and I looked up the one that had my birth announcement. On the front page was a picture of Virginia Hill, mistress of mobster Bugsy Siegel who had been murdered in her Hollywood mansion a few days before. She had just been found in Paris. This let me know that I am from an earlier era.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Good old times of driving my lovely Kia Sephia Sedan 1.6 from 1995 with its height of only 1,39 metre, sitting sporty relatively near to the ground, without a seat-lift. And curiously, this normal Sephia-exemplary got sporty-tense suspension, woohoo. Lucky 48.000 km. :D

Today, I would surely be astonished about such driving!
A friend of mine was selling his Jaguar XK150 Coupe, I had no trouble getting in, but getting out, I nearly needed the local fire department to get the jaws of life! Low and a small door does not mix well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo