Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

MurderOfGoths

New in Town
I like MP3s purely because space is tight here, I do still buy CDs of albums that are important to me, and vinyls for the really special ones. (Though I have no record player yet)

Edward

Bartender
I like MP3s purely because space is tight here, I do still buy CDs of albums that are important to me, and vinyls for the really special ones. (Though I have no record player yet)

They have their use... I'm a big fan of my MP3 player as a way of taking music on the move: I don't miss lugging boxes of cassettes on holidays! Alas, the industry is ever pushing towards mp3 downloads as it cuts their costs, but it leaves the consumer with an inferior experience on every level.

They have their use... I'm a big fan of my MP3 player as a way of taking music on the move: I don't miss lugging boxes of cassettes on holidays! Alas, the industry is ever pushing towards mp3 downloads as it cuts their costs, but it leaves the consumer with an inferior experience on every level.

Again, true.

It's very often disappointing to me to find a new band I really like and the only format on which their music is available is download.

That biggest upside to me is that, much like cassettes, you can make copies of the music you have tucked safely at home. Pawn shops will give a crackhead up to $2 apiece for "used" cds, and I've already had to replace part of my music library once, on top of the stereo and window of my automobile.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have over 6,000 cassettes containing radio material accumulated over a forty-year span, much of it unique -- the mp3 kids in the "OTR community" aren't interested in the stuff I'm interested in, so you won't find it on those free-download websites. My cassettes ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

(And I won't even say anything about the reel-to-reel tapes.)

I've got nine milk crates full of 78s in the back of my bedroom closet, many of them liberated from radio stations who felt the need to purge their libraries. I'll take an original 78 any day of the week over a processed LP or CD reissue.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As some one who has never downloaded an MP3 in his life, I got curious on what was available in early radio broadcasts? Seems, the sky is the limit! Of course, Churchill and Roosevelt, but also very obscure programs. I am sure it will only get bigger with the Smithsonian and other large museums from around the world updating constantly. At least, their AV people will have job security.

...It's very often disappointing to me to find a new band I really like and the only format on which their music is available is download...
I've reached the point where I don't like any of the new bands or the music they produce. Actually, I reached that point somewhere in the late 90s. The best I can do these days is to find old bands with music that's new to me.

I could not disagree more. The advent of digital music publishing has made SO much more music available than was ever possible before, not to mention that it was previously limited to what record companies dared toss your way.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The advent of digital music publishing has made SO much more music available than was ever possible before, not to mention that it was previously limited to what record companies dared toss your way.

Have to quote you Stearman here:

As some one who has never downloaded an MP3 in his life.

Me neither, wouldn't even know how, wouldn't know how to transfer it to other gizmos if I could download it. Don't go there, can't be arsed.
But that's not to say I'm against it, far from it. If folk, young or old like their music that way, fine by me.

Whilst it might seem that I'm an old dynosaur because technology baffles me, I would love to be able to have a thousand or two tracks that are compatible in my car. Problem is, the car doesn't even have a radio, it also doesn't have an alternator, only a dynamo, so extra electricity sucking add ons, could cause power starvation to the spark plugs, and, ultimitely, a breakdown.

There are many reasons why I prefer vinyl, but the main one is ownership. That and record company change. Meaning that you know when an artiste changes record label, they have struck a deal with a new (to them) record label. If today's technology were available in the early 1950's, would the same five releases that Elvis made on The Sun Record label, be worth the same as their vinyl counterparts are today?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm in about the same boat as Bro. Brunswick, with perhaps a little more leeway -- anything that came along after the first Petrillo strike can go hang as far as I'm concerned. Rockandroll and all its permutations are like ramming a railroad spike into the side of my head, and I avoid any contact with them. We never had such music in the house when I was a kid, and I've never had any occasion or inclination to develop a taste for it.

Rockandroll and all its permutations are like ramming a railroad spike into the side of my head, and I avoid any contact with them. We never had such music in the house when I was a kid, and I've never had any occasion or inclination to develop a taste for it.

Sounds about right. In my case my parents (born in 1928 and 29) were a little bit older than those of my friends and had just missed Rock n' Roll. Also as a young kid I wasn't around kids my age that much because almost all of my cousins were much older than me (my oldest cousin just turned 70! :eeek:). And the friends of my parents either didn't have any kids or if they did they were like my cousins much older than me. A couple years age difference between kids is often like a 15-20 year age difference among adults.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner