Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Seriously! The wife and I were in ihop the other night. They're running an all-you-can-eat pancake special. The illustration showed a plate with a stack of pancakes that goes right out the top of the frame of the picture. We just looked at each other and laughed. haha
The American pancake differs in size and texture to that of the UK, and probably the rest of Europe, which is why IHOP doesn't have a UK presence. However, IHOP is owned by Dine Brands Global, who know a thing or two about the varying tastes of the English speaking world. How do you sell an American style pancake to a British palate? Rename it, that's how. IHOP have an outlet in London called: "Antenna's American Diner."

Although I have never been there, I know plenty who have, and what they describe is what my missus and I have experienced at IHOP whilst visiting the US. Fast food outlets like McDonalds, and their ilk, are not to my culinary delectation, but under pressure from a beloved, late friend, an ex-pat, ex resident of Savannah GA, my missus and I went into an IHOP. We had been instructed to order the egg nog. Man oh man, what a treat, it was as that hackneyed, over-used, American expression says: "Awesome!" So much so, that every subsequent visit has always ended within the first 48 hours of our stay, in a IHOP somewhere, who cares where, as long as the egg nog is on the menu?

Edward

Bartender
I've been keen to get into an IHOP ever since I first heard of them in Coffee and Cigarettes - if memory serves, they form the basis of the conversation between Iggy Pop and Tom Waits, though I can't recall if it takes place in one.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
How do you sell an American style pancake to a British palate? Rename it, that's how. IHOP have an outlet in London called: "Antenna's American Diner."

I have written about this elsewhere, but years ago, when I was in Manchester, our hosta took us to an American style restaurant called something like The American Cafe, which was very closely modeled after chain restaurants such as our TGIFridays.

It looked promising, but let's just say, in short, that although the place looked American, the food, particularly the red meat, and drink (I became very fond of Boddington Bitter) were very British.

For the rest of our stay there I ate a lot of Indian food with my Boddies.

In my earlier years while teaching at a University, I would occasionally work in the comment:
"circles and arrows with a paragraph on the back of each one"
I finally quit when one of the students recognized it and told me his dad used to play that album.
I had a co-worker who once referred to my "Paleolithic pop culture references."

I refuse to give them up, though, and still manage to keep up enough to sprinkle in more up-to-date ones.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I've been keen to get into an IHOP ever since I first heard of them in Coffee and Cigarettes - if memory serves, they form the basis of the conversation between Iggy Pop and Tom Waits, though I can't recall if it takes place in one.
In the vignette Iggy and Tom briefly discuss the coffee at IHOP, but that's about it. It doesn't take place in one, and I'd bet it was filmed on a set built specifically for the scene rather than in an actual restaurant/coffee shop. The food at IHOP isn't bad, but you can find better versions of almost everything on their menu elsewhere.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I can't recall ever seeing eggnog on their menu, but I haven't been to an IHOP for several years. Do they serve it with or without bourbon? :D
My missus is partial to Baileys liqueur. At a restaurant, when asked which three flavours if ice cream did she want, she replied: "Baileys, Baileys & Baileys.

When you watched monster truck shows on german sports TV-channel in the mid 90s and enjoyed "Bear Foot", "Grave Digger", "Snake Bite" and "CAROLINA CRUSHER"!! :)

30+
>> Please offer a seat!

;););)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
6,000 bucks a litre !!! it used to be free !
5f6d8a7cf12abb0a0f363f02d2be26d8.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I haven't found a place that tops their pancakes, either.
I've found one restaurant chain that has better pancakes, but so far they're mostly located only in the western states of the continental U.S.. Black Bear Diner - their "sweet cream" pancakes have a mildly sweet flavor that makes any type of syrup or toppings overkill. Aside from the pancakes they have a fairly varied menu, and we've never had a bad meal there.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a cheer leader for IHOP, heaven knows that if you should ever dare to dine in there late afternoon, just as the children have come out of school, make sure you have a solid pair of ear defenders. The cacophony of noise is on a par with a 747 on take off.

When you give something to someone and he tries to find a spare pocket on his clothes:

"No spare pockets? Why don't you store it in your "back pocket", as we said at the Reichsarbeitsdienst?"

:D:D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner