Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

I read that a goodly number of accidents in the LA area become hit and runs. One of the drivers at least does not stop as they are not licensed and not insured. Is Cali an anomaly or the future?
As I am wont to say, we are not powerless against this. It just takes the will.

These are anything but victimless crimes. And we all pay for it, one way or another.

I take defensive driving to a whole new level....I call it Paranoid Driving.
I’ve driven well over a million miles at this point, been seriously injured and hospitalized a couple times. On one occasion I would have been considerably less injured had I been in the sort of car made these days, and not that ‘66 Corvair, when that uninsured clown ran that stop sign and T-boned me on the driver’s door.

If it’s paranoid to expect other drivers to do the wrong thing, then I suppose I’m paranoid. There’s no glory in dying in a car wreck.

I’ve driven well over a million miles at this point, been seriously injured and hospitalized a couple times. On one occasion I would have been considerably less injured had I been in the sort of car made these days, and not that ‘66 Corvair, when that uninsured clown ran that stop sign and T-boned me on the driver’s door.

If it’s paranoid to expect other drivers to do the wrong thing, then I suppose I’m paranoid. There’s no glory in dying in a car wreck.
Expecting the worst doesn't make one a pessimist.....it makes me a realist! I guess after driving for 57 years I am in the million mile club too.

That would be less than 18K miles per year on average, so yeah, it’s likely you’ve driven at least a million miles so far.
My career was selling flow control products into mines/pulp mills and other resource industries so I spent a lot of time on the road....remote roads in the hinterlands of BC. Many years I put on 50,000miles & would change cars every two years. Seems so long ago.

You know those pill organizer things? They’re typically made of plastic and have at least one compartment for each day of the week.

A 45-year-old of my acquaintance — a youngster, from my perspective — was wondering aloud whether she had taken her meds this morning. It was suggested she get a pill organizer. You really do need one, she was told, lest you find yourself skipping doses or doubling them.

She responded that those plastic things you get at Walgreens are for old, forgetful people. Welcome to the club, she was told. You can’t remember if you took your meds this morning.

And then she was sent a link to an outfit that makes quite stylish pill organizers made of wood.

You know those pill organizer things? They’re typically made of plastic and have at least one compartment for each day of the week.

A 45-year-old of my acquaintance — a youngster, from my perspective — was wondering aloud whether she had taken her meds this morning. It was suggested she get a pill organizer. You really do need one, she was told, lest you find yourself skipping doses or doubling them.

She responded that those plastic things you get at Walgreens are for old, forgetful people. Welcome to the club, she was told. You can’t remember if you took your meds this morning.

And then she was sent a link to an outfit that makes quite stylish pill organizers made of wood.
But my issue is: what if you forget to fill up the pill organizer?

But my issue is: what if you forget to fill up the pill organizer?
At that point you need additional assistance.

Even with the organizer I still miss doses — rarely, but it happens. And because I have the organizer at least I know I’ve skipped.

I’m on six different prescription medications. I take pills twice daily. I rent a U-Haul for my monthly visits to the pharmacy.

Last edited:
I read that a goodly number of accidents in the LA area become hit and runs. One of the drivers at least does not stop as they are not licensed and not insured. Is Cali an anomaly or the future?
Speaking as a native Californian and a current resident of that state, I can easily state that most Californians are morons and that only .000000072% of us can actually drive properly.

I recently started using my wife's pill sorter simply because it's faster to fill it once a week than it is to open four or five pill bottles every day just to remove one lousy tablet from each of them.

Edward

Bartender

The click of the lids on those plastic pill organisers is now one of our Saturday evening rituals, as the wife and the dog both need one. I find it weirdly satisfying as a task.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just finished updating my blackboard with the schedule of M.D. dates for the coming two months this morning. These got a higher frequency than dates with friends meanwhile.

You get a note from Facebook telling you that the girl you had the hots for in high school has a birthday, and she's now sixty-nine years old.
And yet we’re still 23.

I’ll confess to still finding attractive several of those pretty girls from back half a century or more. The years are kinder to some than others.

The calendar hasn’t been entirely generous to me. Even if I got back down to a buck eighty-five I still wouldn’t fit into Levi’s with a 32-inch waist. I’ve been bald for more than 40 years. I’m getting jowly.

Last week I attended a memorial service for a woman I knew only peripherally (she was my wife’s former co-worker). “Pretty” wouldn’t be the first adjective I’d use in reference to her. But when I saw those photos on display at the service, some taken a long time back, I found myself thinking, dang, she sure was a cutie. I’m confident that her husband still saw that pretty young woman every time he gazed upon her.

So33

One of the Regulars
So that’s it then. You know your getting old when you need a pill organizer.
I’ve been threatening the wifey I’m going to get her a pill organizer for her one pill a day she needs to take.

So that’s it then. You know your getting old when you need a pill organizer.
I’ve been threatening the wifey I’m going to get her a pill organizer for her one pill a day she needs to take.
My lovely missus takes one pill a day and she uses a pill organizer.

It’s been a while since I’ve had reason to be mindful of this, but I do clearly recall birth control pills dispensed in round push-out packets with each day’s slot clearly marked. So, pills that come in their own organizer.

I would avail myself of those pill packs now offered by online pharmacies, but my physicians tweak my meds every few months so for now that won’t work for me.

When the Mason jar of clear liquid in the fridge is not moonshine … but humming bird food.

87A70974-BFC6-4230-930A-4A297BCDC367.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
The next step for me is going to be knowing when to give in and get bifocals, while resisting the opticians trying to upsell me varifocals at more than double the price....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ