Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, it’s all OK then. I sometimes wake up in the morning and ask myself if this what I just experience might be Rigor Mortis but so far it always turned out just to be kinda geriatric morning stiffness…:D

when …

.., people three full decades younger call themselves “middle aged.”

You’re still young, young man, that receding hairline and paunch notwithstanding.

… you no longer put much stock in pithy aphorisms.

It’s not that there isn’t truth and wisdom in some of them, but to make my case against the value of aphorism is another aphorism: “The opposite of a profound truth is another profound truth.”

I’ve been too well acquainted with too many people who too often turn to the hackneyed expression. It’s as if they believe a trite observation solves the problem at hand. I’ve heard it referred to as “thought-terminating cliche.”

Edward

Bartender
You know that you must be getting old when, asking someone for their fax number you hear, "you what?"

I remember in the first few months of my academic career, back in 1999, having to send a fax to another academic, now long since retired. It's the only time I've ever used one - I'd struggle to figure it out now. I remember one being demoed on Blue Peter in the early eighties and it being a marvel. Email was developed around the same time, though fax was obviously easier for most to deal with at that point... Was just in the news last week that fax machines are now to be phased out. Wonder how Keith Richards will deal with that: reportedly he only communicates by fax.

Woodie? It looks like that stick on laminate of the 1970's. Gross!
View attachment 462409

Well, it's..... less aesthetically pleasing for sure. On the upside, at least a bad case of woodworm isn't going to compromise its structural integrity! That was the only downside to the dear old Morris Minor Traveller: that wood was structural, and a real pain to replace if it went...

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember well having received spam faxes at work, especially when the machine hasn’t been switched off during weekend. Sometimes they emptied the whole paper compartment that way.

Edward

Bartender
I remember well having received spam faxes at work, especially when the machine hasn’t been switched off during weekend. Sometimes they emptied the whole paper compartment that way.

As memory serves, that was why the EU first was motivated to change the laws on spam from the old, 'opt-out' to an 'opt-in' consent model.

The other one I remember hearing about was a prank commonly played at office Christmas parties, where they'd tape two A4 sheets together on the thin end, then attach them again at the other end as it came out of the machine, to form a perpetual loop....

By the way:
I'm 38, still saying "school satchel", not "school bag"...

Interestingly, here in the UK 'satchel' has come to mean a very specific, traditional style of leather schoolbag - this sort of thing:

1668689927542.png

"Schoolbag" is applied in the utilitarian sense, i.e. any sort of bag used for the purposes of a schoolbag.

I'm old enough that my first year or two in primary school I had a brown satchel in this style that went on my back. Just a couple of years later, they were considered so outre that the rare kid who had one would be viciously mocked. What goes around and all that, one of the bags I use for work now is a black leather satchel in this very traditional style.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As memory serves, that was why the EU first was motivated to change the laws on spam from the old, 'opt-out' to an 'opt-in' consent model.

The other one I remember hearing about was a prank commonly played at office Christmas parties, where they'd tape two A4 sheets together on the thin end, then attach them again at the other end as it came out of the machine, to form a perpetual loop....

Interestingly, here in the UK 'satchel' has come to mean a very specific, traditional style of leather schoolbag - this sort of thing:

View attachment 465611

"Schoolbag" is applied in the utilitarian sense, i.e. any sort of bag used for the purposes of a schoolbag.

I'm old enough that my first year or two in primary school I had a brown satchel in this style that went on my back. Just a couple of years later, they were considered so outre that the rare kid who had one would be viciously mocked. What goes around and all that, one of the bags I use for work now is a black leather satchel in this very traditional style.
Now that has prompted a reminisce. My father wanted to treat me for qualifying for the grammar school. He promised me to the leather briefcase style school bag. How I had to disguise my disappointment. Our generation were brought up to show gratitude.
This is what I fantasised:
briefcase.jpg
And this is what Dad bought for me.
satchel1.jpg

Nowadays I actually prefer the second one, but at the time I was so disappointed.

Edward

Bartender
Now that has prompted a reminisce. My father wanted to treat me for qualifying for the grammar school. He promised me to the leather briefcase style school bag. How I had to disguise my disappointment. Our generation were brought up to show gratitude.
This is what I fantasised:
View attachment 465615
And this is what Dad bought for me.
View attachment 465616

Nowadays I actually prefer the second one, but at the time I was so disappointed.

Funny how these things go, isn't it? I like the second one best too, but I can se the differences if you'd been expecting the first at the time!

I'm sorely tempted by one of the WPG US military leather briefcases now...

1668693454676.png

The slimness of the internal design might limit its utility, though they're *just* at a price where that might not matter as much... The one thing stopping me for now is the lack of a shoulder strap or loops for same that I can see. Still, very tempting for lighter-carry days when I don't need both hands free....

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
In my town, these were like the Tony model, but always of cheap vinyl or canvas construction. We called them "book bags" and if you still carried one by the time you got to the eighth grade (age 13 mostly, in the U.S.) you were clearly a nerd and most probably had eyeglasses with black electrical tape holding one or both legs of the specs to the lenses.

I had a bad allergic reaction on marzipan last Wednesday.
I ate some "marzipan potatoes" at my Mom's home in the afternoon and very soon, I felt something wrong in my upper throat-to-nose area. But it was still weak, so I didn't thought much about. But it lasted and in the very early morning, it was a real throat inflammation, but still only in the upper area. I didn't wait any longer and grabbed good old sage tea.
But all the time, I luckily had no mistaste or coughing. And no headache.

Yesterday, I also started gargling with my good old myrrh tincture and it finally went better! Today, it's much better than yesterday and it seems to fade out. :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not a drinker but Saturday after match had a Christmas bottle of Mr Johnnie Walker black label with Chatterley.
Awoke Sunday with a headache not visited since Cambridge days of whist yore. And a long twisted rope it was too.
Not been there since my student days either. I can't believe that I actually partook of the nicotine weed as well.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You know that you are getting old when you uncover a photo of a car that you had long forgotten.

MGB.jpg
Then realising it is of the same heritage and from the same company as the vintage car that you are driving today and you actually prefer the older car, now that's getting old.

jessica 2022.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ