Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

^^^^^^^
Just so long as no one is suffering illusions.

I’m too well acquainted with a fellow whose fourth wife is a considerably younger alien angling to remain here in God’s Country.

I wouldn’t choose such an arrangement myself, but in this case they’re both getting what they want from the deal.

Remember the days, when you could easily differ between a 45 and a 25 year old?

Now, the overweighted folks look the same and you don't know, if they are father and son or brothers...

Gimme my 90s back, please!!

524F98F1-A21F-42E4-951D-7F75A14A249E.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I must have started out old then, 'cause doing anything like that has never been a piece of cake for me. ;)
Tina & I have had a lifelong passion for Latin and Ballroom dancing. That type of dance is both stylised and choreographed, so the sort of freestyle that you see in that video made a welcomed change.

A few years back, I had taken Tina to Scotland to take her mind off the passing of her father. She loves Scotland. At the end of the week I came across a flyer advertising a Vegas sort of Big Band come burlesque show, so for a treat I bought a couple of tickets. Most of the audience were generations younger than us but we still managed to make an impression: Read on. http://remotecards.blogspot.com/2009/07/old-folk-dancing-like-they-were-young.html

We also learned, just for fun, The Lambada, at the time when it was all the rage. One Sunday afternoon we got roped into attending an inter denominational church, charity dance. A dance band were playing all the popular types of dance music, like most others, we were up on the floor, strutting our stuff. When the band took a break, a DJ took over the musical choice. Quite by chance a lady asked the DJ if he could play The Lambada, she added that she couldn't dance it, but she so loved the music.

Tina heard the opening strains first. "Come on," she said, grabbing my elbow, "you can't," I told her, "this is a Christian charity event." "Oh don't be such a stuffed shirt," she said, engaging in dance hold with me. We gave them a show, and some. As we came off the floor at the end of our dance, a fellow in a clergy type dog collar came up and said, "do I know you?" To which I replied, "well we are not really famous, father." "More like infamous, after what I have just seen," he said as he walked away. Oh dear!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Tina & I have had a lifelong passion for Latin and Ballroom dancing. That type of dance is both stylised and choreographed, so the sort of freestyle that you see in that video made a welcomed change.

A few years back, I had taken Tina to Scotland to take her mind off the passing of her father. She loves Scotland. At the end of the week I came across a flyer advertising a Vegas sort of Big Band come burlesque show, so for a treat I bought a couple of tickets. Most of the audience were generations younger than us but we still managed to make an impression: Read on. http://remotecards.blogspot.com/2009/07/old-folk-dancing-like-they-were-young.html

We also learned, just for fun, The Lambada, at the time when it was all the rage. One Sunday afternoon we got roped into attending an inter denominational church, charity dance. A dance band were playing all the popular types of dance music, like most others, we were up on the floor, strutting our stuff. When the band took a break, a DJ took over the musical choice. Quite by chance a lady asked the DJ if he could play The Lambada, she added that she couldn't dance it, but she so loved the music.

Tina heard the opening strains first. "Come on," she said, grabbing my elbow, "you can't," I told her, "this is a Christian charity event." "Oh don't be such a stuffed shirt," she said, engaging in dance hold with me. We gave them a show, and some. As we came off the floor at the end of our dance, a fellow in a clergy type dog collar came up and said, "do I know you?" To which I replied, "well we are not really famous, father." "More like infamous, after what I have just seen," he said as he walked away. Oh dear!

You can't beat a priest with a sense of humour! Just tell him "That would be an ecumenical matter, Father." ;)

I knew I was getting old when I stopped being please the Saturday night film was on BBC (no ads), and moved to ITV because I knew I'd need the pee break and didn't want to miss anything, but I've never felt so old as the first time I had to explain that to a class full of undergraduates who haven't watched a linear broadcast in years....

I think I mentioned this upthread, but one of the best lines about aging I ever heard was Greg Davies - "You know what happens to you when you turn forty? You walk past a nightclub, and no-one offers you a flyer."

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You know your getting old when it hurts just to watch knowing how crippled you would be for days after such exertion!

Nice moves, sir. Ms. Tina has taught you well.

You know that you are getting old when doing this is no longer a piece of cake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm