Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

… when even the TV subtitles assume you’re hard of hearing.

IMG_4710.jpeg

I have the subtitles turned off and could not find a way to get these two-timing ones to go away. At first I thought about putting this in the “So trivial, yet it really ticks you off” thread.

…I have the subtitles turned off and could not find a way to get these two-timing ones to go away. At first I thought about putting this in the “So trivial, yet it really ticks you off” thread.
The trouble these days is that you have to look EVERYWHERE to determine where the subtitles have been activated--streaming software, satellite/cable software, television software, cell phone software, software in a random kitchen appliance, your kids pranking you from their tablet/laptop/cell phone... :rolleyes:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This getting old malarkey is so puzzling. I can remember, as a very small child, nuclear-attack drills at school wherein we would practice protecting ourselves by crouching under our desks, which was apparently made out of some kind of atomic-bomb-proof wood. But I can't remember what I posted on here just a couple of days ago, thank heaven there's an archive that I can check to see if I've made an ass of myself.

You’re highly tempted to spend some serious face applause but leave your hands in your pockets instead and just walk your way.
Far less hazardous that way. Still, though, I kinda regret not applying such applause to a notably twerpy character or two I’ve had the misfortune of encountering. But I take some comfort in knowing it is likely that some younger person with less impulse control will tend to that matter for me.

^^^^^^
Every third word out of the Old Man’s mouth was a swear word. But I knew I wasn’t allowed to swear myself. In later years it occurred to me that I never heard him utter the “F” word. So even among well practiced potty mouths there are taboo words.

^^^^^^
Every third word out of the Old Man’s mouth was a swear word. But I knew I wasn’t allowed to swear myself. In later years it occurred to me that I never heard him utter the “F” word. So even among well practiced potty mouths there are taboo words.

That's, what I meaned. Not launching any "taboo words" and adult joking in front of 5 year old kids.

I mean, yes, I'm still fine 12 years old, too, but my face and voice doesn't really match... :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of my first words was "s**t,* and it's still a regular part of my vocabulary. How could it not be, given my mother's talent for vigorous language?

Meanwhile, I have felt extremely unsettled over the past week. We have been screening the reissue of the 1980s Talking Heads concert film "Stop Making Sense," and I find it genuinely distressing that everyone -- *everyone* -- who has come to see it looks likes my grandparents. Yes, I know I'm about the age my grandparents were when I knew them, but it's a complete mental disconnect for me to see elderly people enthusing over what seems, to me, to be something for college kids. That's not what old people are supposed to like. Old people sing songs from the turn of the century. Old people sing "Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay" and "Put On Your Old Gray Bonnet," not "Once In A Lifetime."

We have a Joan Baez documentary coming later this month, and I'm making sure the defibrillator is ready, just in case.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
One of my first words was "s**t,* and it's still a regular part of my vocabulary.
During my high school years, when my parents or those of my friends would utter that word, all of us kids would answer in unison as if they were calling us. Smiling, the parents response was usually, "You little s**t's"!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
One of my first words was "s**t,* and it's still a regular part of my vocabulary. How could it not be, given my mother's talent for vigorous language?

Meanwhile, I have felt extremely unsettled over the past week. We have been screening the reissue of the 1980s Talking Heads concert film "Stop Making Sense," and I find it genuinely distressing that everyone -- *everyone* -- who has come to see it looks likes my grandparents. Yes, I know I'm about the age my grandparents were when I knew them, but it's a complete mental disconnect for me to see elderly people enthusing over what seems, to me, to be something for college kids. That's not what old people are supposed to like. Old people sing songs from the turn of the century. Old people sing "Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay" and "Put On Your Old Gray Bonnet," not "Once In A Lifetime."

We have a Joan Baez documentary coming later this month, and I'm making sure the defibrillator is ready, just in case.
I once upon a time had a girl who looked like Joan Baez. I need to see this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR