Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you have too many leather jackets when

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
...Should my life lead to a natural end and I wore a jacket every day for the rest that life, I would never be able to wear any out beyond further use.
Come to think of it I would like to imagine I could wear my teamster every day and THAT one would probably never wear out:eek:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I knew when I had too many when I went by a store two years or so back, and they had a "winter coat drive" for the homeless. Forget that I had like eight new jackets with tags on, but that made me realize that I was being a glutton. No hope of breaking them all in, let alone 2-3 of them. So I took a bunch of jackets down to that store and hung them up - all with nice, wooden hangers. Felt better than I ever did buying them.
So now, if I don't see marked wear-in on any one jacket, it goes. No point - I'm getting too old to keep "collecting" because at some point you're a hoarder and your kids 'll have to deal with that...
Scott's response is probably the best of all. Just a few days ago I realized I rarely, if ever, wore my Cooper G-1 and gave it to a 96 y/o WW II veteran who is a volunteer greeter at the Dallas VA Medical Center. He survived day one when he stormed Omaha Beach at the Normandy invasion. I felt far better looking at the expression on his face when I handed it to him than I did the day I bought it at the Army Navy store.

Last edited:
Just so it's clear, I wasn't intending on bringing down this fun thread or standing on some sort of soap box. But we've had similar threads before, and this time, given all that's happened to and around me this year, I wanted to put a different spin on it. Maybe even some of you guys will do like @Fanch and dump a few in a good way. It's fun to get a jacket, and I would never begrudge anyone for having as many as they like - I hope you know that. Maybe just a little more somber this season and I'm at the stage where I wonder if I've done anything "good" with my life. I still have a closet that by any standard is embarrassing in it's contents. But if I don't use something, there's someone who can, and I just think I'd prefer to pass it on to someone who will never have the means nor a computer to come in here and talk about them.

It's been a while since I got a new piece myself, and most likely, I'm going to give the Thedi folks a shot at a padded racer. I don't have two years to wait, and I'm up for something a little less seen. But in doing so, something else goes to a new home ;)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Just so it's clear, I wasn't intending on bringing down this fun thread or standing on some sort of soap box. But we've had similar threads before, and this time, given all that's happened to and around me this year, I wanted to put a different spin on it. Maybe even some of you guys will do like @Fanch and dump a few in a good way. It's fun to get a jacket, and I would never begrudge anyone for having as many as they like - I hope you know that. Maybe just a little more somber this season and I'm at the stage where I wonder if I've done anything "good" with my life. I still have a closet that by any standard is embarrassing in it's contents. But if I don't use something, there's someone who can, and I just think I'd prefer to pass it on to someone who will never have the means nor a computer to come in here and talk about them.

It's been a while since I got a new piece myself, and most likely, I'm going to give the Thedi folks a shot at a padded racer. I don't have two years to wait, and I'm up for something a little less seen. But in doing so, something else goes to a new home ;)

Like the sentiment. I'm definitely leaving my jackets to someone who'll appreciate them.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I know that I have exceeded my acceptable "quota" of jackets when the number of cattle and horses I see on the way to work is less than the number of jackets I currently own. This is one benefit to living in Iowa for certain! :)

I also hear the sentiments on the additional closets. If indeed a wife ever is in my future, I'll have a little explaining, and thinning of the herd to do so she will have adequate storage space.

I also Like Butte's throughts here. I've been on the look out lately for older Wison's and other mall type jackets for low prices in resale shops, with the intent of being able to pass them along to folks in need. However taking a brand new jacket to a donation would be even better. What a great idea & challange.

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
When you have to use those little white string tags around the hangers so you can quickly find/identify the jacket you are looking for within less than 1/2 hour.

When you have to do major reconstruction on the closet rods and brackets to enhance the supporting strength by a factor of 4. (Yes, I once had the entire rod and brackets collapse from the sheer weight - that really got the wife's attention...not good.)

Just fair to mention here too that I know from my experiences and others here that some guys have been fully generous to each other. I've seen guys give jackets away here; sell them for less than they just paid, etc. I have no doubts that most of the guys here are that way, and I didn't need to "challenge" anyone as I know I'm not alone in helping others out. But, if you're one that hasn't done it yet, give it a shot. I actually fantasize about what it must feel like to get a jacket that you'd never get a chance to own - esp in the cold months. I also feel good knowing that footwear and outerwear I donate goes to bigger guys that likely don't have a lot thrown their way. I spend all day on the internet either for work or personal, and the level of anger, hate, etc. is out of proportion to the good we all are capable of. I'm just moving that way for my own good, and if others do the same, who knows, maybe 2017 will be a great year.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I know that I have exceeded my acceptable "quota" of jackets when the number of cattle and horses I see on the way to work is less than the number of jackets I currently own. This is one benefit to living in Iowa for certain! :)

I also hear the sentiments on the additional closets. If indeed a wife ever is in my future, I'll have a little explaining, and thinning of the herd to do so she will have adequate storage space.

I also Like Butte's throughts here. I've been on the look out lately for older Wison's and other mall type jackets for low prices in resale shops, with the intent of being able to pass them along to folks in need. However taking a brand new jacket to a donation would be even better. What a great idea & challange.

Tbh I think sometimes the highest gratification in this hobby is giving them away. Honestly most of the exhiliration is planning an order or suffering waiting for funds and daydreaming about future orders rather than wearing anyway! Hate to say it but in a way it's true. My ethos is we'll be gone anyway. No sense in being the queen of Spain.

And
Tbh I think sometimes the highest gratification in this hobby is giving them away. Honestly most of the exhiliration is planning an order or suffering waiting for funds and daydreaming about future orders rather than wearing anyway! Hate to say it but in a way it's true. My ethos is we'll be gone anyway. No sense in being the queen of Spain.
And you HAVE done that, @nick123. The jacket you gave my son is his favorite, and I am still grateful for the kind gesture on your part. He could have been one of those kids in Oakland that passed in the fire. The music/art communities are filled with good kids, trying to make a go of it in a creative world. To get something like that was an amazing gesture. Your karma is intact and likely running a surplus...

technovox

One Too Many
You know you have too many when:

You say “but it’s the last one I’ll ever buy” and your wife laughs uproariously…

Thurston Bros. is the first number on your speed dial…

You buy a vintage motorcycle just to accessorize your jacket collection…

Your main concern about Global Warming is less jacket time…

Your buddy down at the horse stables tells you “Old Red” is about to be put down and you get excited…

PETA posts your picture on their website…

The Smithsonian offers to open a wing in your name…

You install a sprinkler system…in your closet…

Your wife gives you the choice - either her or the jackets… and you laugh uproariously…

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy