Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you have too many leather jackets when

Tbh I think sometimes the highest gratification in this hobby is giving them away. Honestly most of the exhiliration is planning an order or suffering waiting for funds and daydreaming about future orders rather than wearing anyway! Hate to say it but in a way it's true. My ethos is we'll be gone anyway. No sense in being the queen of Spain.

That's true, Nick. I mean, as you already know very well by now but seriously, I've gifted like five jackets to my friends and it's a really great feeling seeing them actually wearing and loving 'em. I actually envy them in a way 'cause they are so much more happy with the jackets I gave them than I ever seem to be with mine, even though I have (had) some really nice pieces. Comparatively, I know but still, majority of people won't ever even see the clothes we take for granted here...

Planning a jacket is really what it's all about but getting that perfect... No, not perfect, there's no perfect jacket but getting that right kind of jacket also matters quite a lot. I've been through a lot of very nice jackets that I didn't feel sad selling or giving away, even those I did actually wear but I never, ever want to part with my LL or Langlitz or that Schott. When you start making hand made collars for your jacket, you know it's the one.

I've nothing funny to add though I do think that you know you have too many jackets when you have more than one.

You know you have too many when:

You say “but it’s the last one I’ll ever buy” and your wife laughs uproariously…

Thurston Bros. is the first number on your speed dial…

You buy a vintage motorcycle just to accessorize your jacket collection…

Your main concern about Global Warming is less jacket time…

Your buddy down at the horse stables tells you “Old Red” is about to be put down and you get excited…

PETA posts your picture on their website…

The Smithsonian offers to open a wing in your name…

You install a sprinkler system…in your closet…

Your wife gives you the choice - either her or the jackets… and you laugh uproariously…

Lol'd, especially at Old Red. Not at the vintage motorcycle one though because that's too true...

OK. I just realized that I committed a huge sin and reenforced this whole thread by finding a jacket I had put between the mattress and foundation to get some wear on it during the summer months. I was putting on the winter flannel sheets and made the discovery. Sorry but I had to laugh at how ridiculous that was. Didn't even realize it was missing even though I've been trying to wear everything this fall.
Color me lost.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
:) I've not laughed so much reading through a thread in recent times as this one has been for me. Keep it up, I need the laughter too!

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
When you are in the tropics and you voluntarily tell your boss that you don't mind going for work trips just so that you can wear your jackets and because you are also out of leave.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I have 14 a-2's. I would be okay if that was the only type of jacket I liked but I like most kinds of military jackets and many civilian ones.

14 – my God. Clearly I'm an amateur.

Is there a perfect leather jacket? This seems to me the essential question. Because I think it's what impels me to keep selling and buying the damn things.

Or maybe I'm like Colonel Kurtz and I've forgotten what sent me on this quest in the first place.

What worries me is how much dough I've blown rejecting the supposedly imperfect ones.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are standing in an elevator with a couple, the woman is super hot but you hardly notice her because you are focused on the guy's Lewis Leathers jacket, then the following exchange occurs:

Super hot woman: Nice jacket . . . where did you get it?
Guy: I don't remember.
Me: Stronghold on Abbot Kinney.
Guy: That's right . . . how did you know?
Me: I have a problem.
My wife: Yes you do.

Post elevator:

My wife: I guess I should be happy that I noticed the beautiful woman, but you only noticed the guy's jacket.
Me: That's because I only have eyes for you baby.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
When you are co-hosting a house party and are responsible for safely putting away guests' purses and coats in a room, and have to stop yourself from sniffing and groping someone's '80s Avirex.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I think there is at least one person on the Lounge who has an extension added to their home for their vintage collection. I can't quite get my head around the point at which you say: 'Hell's bells, I have too much vintage. Shall I realise some of my investment here, or shall I build a completely new storage unit for them..." and go for the latter. Actually, what's even more impressive is that their partner agreed to this too!
Leather jackets aside for a minute, my garage is a double in line, meaning you can get two cars in it facing each other instead of side by side. One end of the garage was a stock room, at some cost I had the walls insulated and the interior ply-lined, there I kept a everything that wouldn't squeeze into the bedroom wardrobes. (hangs head) I live in a five bedroomed house, we have no children so we have no grandchildren, just the two of us. Plenty of wardrobe space you might have thought. Not so, hence the double garage becoming yet another wardrobe, well at least one end was partitioned off to garage the car. Until, that is, I had a hankering for an old classic MG. Without thinking of the wardrobe consequences, I bought said MG a few years ago, so it's a great time for a clear out. Yeah right. I bought a five grand pre-assembled shed, had it insulated and ply-lined, the shed being bigger than the former garage space now accommodates leather jackets, made to measure suits, overcoats, raincoats, trenchcoats. A large collection of her dresses and a whole lot more, at the last count she's got fifteen various leathers. So now our garage is almost clear, other than two cars, an upright freezer and a tumbledrier, but do you know, if I park the car with care, I might just be able to get a couple more jackets in that space.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
OK. I just realized that I committed a huge sin and reenforced this whole thread by finding a jacket I had put between the mattress and foundation to get some wear on it during the summer months. I was putting on the winter flannel sheets and made the discovery. Sorry but I had to laugh at how ridiculous that was. Didn't even realize it was missing even though I've been trying to wear everything this fall.
Color me lost.

When you keep leather jackets under your mattress rather than nudie magazines like a normal person, you might have a problem. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy