Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Look It, But Do You Act It?

freebird

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
42 degrees inside the house!? Now that was definitely vintage! :eek: :p
I would be out of luck as I have an electric stove. Not really my choice but it was there and I am not going to replace it as long as its working fine---how about that for vintage? Frugality and not buying what you don't need. :p
The fireplace makes a difference and if you don't mind feeding it then you are set. ;) I used to tend the fire whether we needed it or not as well. Ambiance you know. lol lol

I don't mind feeding one, it sure beats 42 degrees inside lol. I sure got a jolt not having the net to surf for three days as well.

That's definitely frugality! I waited until the prices came down to buy a DVD recorder, but about a month after I did Wal-Mart announced that they are going to be pruning out the DVDs and going to blue ray. :mad: I won't buy a blue ray tho, I'll stick with what I've got, at least until it quits working and I HAVE to buy a new one.

freebird said:
I don't mind feeding one, it sure beats 42 degrees inside lol. I sure got a jolt not having the net to surf for three days as well.

That's definitely frugality! I waited until the prices came down to buy a DVD recorder, but about a month after I did Wal-Mart announced that they are going to be pruning out the DVDs and going to blue ray. :mad: I won't buy a blue ray tho, I'll stick with what I've got, at least until it quits working and I HAVE to buy a new one.

My brother-in-law gave us one for Christmas because he figured we needed one. I think I used it twice. I really don't have time for movies. I would rather be outside or doing something else like watching Sci-Fi. ;) :p
Aside from this site, technology is pretty much wasted on me. :D

freebird

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
My brother-in-law gave us one for Christmas because he figured we needed one. I think I used it twice. I really don't have time for movies. I would rather be outside or doing something else like watching Sci-Fi. ;) :p
Aside from this site, technology is pretty much wasted on me. :D

I hear you. I do have to give technology a couple of nods though. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for someone inventing an insulin pump, and if it weren't for the net I wouldn't be shaving with a straight razor either. I wouldn't have had the foggiest notion of where to find out how to use, hone, or strop one. I asked my Dad, who's in his late 70's, about them and he had never shaved with one,so he wasn't much help lol. Every time I use mine I can't help but think that I'm saving money and not tossing plastic into a landfill.

Sci Fi? Do you have satellite? We have Dish (cable won't run this far out lol), and are getting a new channel called "chiller", of a morning they've been running the old 60's Alfred Hitchcock hour.

freebird said:
I hear you. I do have to give technology a couple of nods though. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for someone inventing an insulin pump, and if it weren't for the net I wouldn't be shaving with a straight razor either. I wouldn't have had the foggiest notion of where to find out how to use, hone, or strop one. I asked my Dad, who's in his late 70's, about them and he had never shaved with one,so he wasn't much help lol. Every time I use mine I can't help but think that I'm saving money and not tossing plastic into a landfill.

Sci Fi? Do you have satellite? We have Dish (cable won't run this far out lol), and are getting a new channel called "chiller", of a morning they've been running the old 60's Alfred Hitchcock hour.

Yep, cable is the vintage way to go. :D :p Thats how I get Sci-Fi. How else would I get to see a Twilight Zone marathon over the July Fourth holiday? ;)
That is interesting how you are pointing out that technology taught you how to use a vintage shaving technique. :) Its like looking forward with one eye looking back. :p Technology has made it easier to live a vintage lifestyle---go figure. lol lol lol

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Technology has made it easier to live a vintage lifestyle---go figure. lol lol lol

And for many of us, technology is the original informant of the vintage lifestyle. I'm 27. I grew up watching AMC before it got bought out - when it was all black & white, had Bing Crosby & Bob Hope features every Saturday morning, and conservator speaking between flicks. If watching 40's movies every Saturday morning from 6 to 9am wasn't a huge part of shaping my aesthetic, I don't know what else to blame it on!

When I first got into vintage in high school, I did my hunting at the local thrift store, but did a lot of my research on the internet. And I started selling vintage wares on ebay my junior year.

Later, the internet helped me figure out the 40's hairstyles that I was practically in tears over - I spent hours trying to do it the hard way, with my arm aching from being up in the air so long.

But it all started with cable... and easy access to otherwise hard to find films with long dead actors/actresses. No technology = no access to the vintage lifestyle for me.

pgoat

One Too Many
freebird said:
Picture004-1.jpg

View out our front door after the ice storm in Jan of 07.

VIEW002.jpg

and today,with an Amish passing on his tractor.
this beats the view out my front window!!:( (think Brick wall)

missjo

Practically Family
Responding to the first topic in this thread;
Yes I am old fashioned.
I am even Neo-Tradionalist, as they call it these days.
My bible is the 1939 etiquette book and it has changed me a lot.
I feel that taking back a few steps is the only way for modern society to go forward.

I am taking steps away from modern things, I no longer have a mobile phone or tv, do most of my shopping at small shops, go everywhere on bike or by foot, go on holiday in my own country sleeping in a little tent somewhere I've cycled too.

pdxvintagette said:
And for many of us, technology is the original informant of the vintage lifestyle. I'm 27. I grew up watching AMC before it got bought out - when it was all black & white, had Bing Crosby & Bob Hope features every Saturday morning, and conservator speaking between flicks. If watching 40's movies every Saturday morning from 6 to 9am wasn't a huge part of shaping my aesthetic, I don't know what else to blame it on!

When I first got into vintage in high school, I did my hunting at the local thrift store, but did a lot of my research on the internet. And I started selling vintage wares on ebay my junior year.

Later, the internet helped me figure out the 40's hairstyles that I was practically in tears over - I spent hours trying to do it the hard way, with my arm aching from being up in the air so long.

But it all started with cable... and easy access to otherwise hard to find films with long dead actors/actresses. No technology = no access to the vintage lifestyle for me.

Exactly. The internet has made hating technology much easier. ;) :p

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
pdxvintagette said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I agree. For me:

Cable TV = Made my rare silent and pre-Code movie collection grow to enormous proportions! I would never have seen these films without cable/TCM.

Internet = Almost everything I know comes from the internet, whether it be a book I bought, a movie schedule, a website, purchasing/downloading vintage music, vintage radio stations, etc.

Big TV = I'd rather watch Dick Powell on a 52" flat screen than my old 19" from '93. Turn all the lights off, sit beneath it, and you're instantly in a movie theatre circa 1933 in your imagination.

iPod = From the INTERNET, I can download endless amounts of FREE OTR shows and listen to them all day at work. If it wasn't for my iPod, I'd have never been introduced to the fabulousness that is Burns And Allen.

Count me in as one of those who feels technology enhances her interest in vintage! I'm not old-fashioned by any means, but I've got old fashioned taste! ;)

I have nothing against those who shun technology -- I admire your moxy! But if you cut off my technology, you'd cut off my little vintage world.

RIOT

Practically Family
The Fedora Lounge is brought to us by the World Wide Web after all, not the Pony Express.

freebird

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
World wide what humm??? lol

What depends on if you're on high speed or dial up. Dial up is the world wide what, mainly because you get tired waiting for all the images to load and decide to do something else.

freebird

Practically Family
pgoat said:
this beats the view out my front window!!:( (think Brick wall)

When I was young(er) and more adventuresome, I volunteered as a storm-spotter (one eyed storm-spotter anyone?) and just step out on the front porch to watch for twisters lol. Often they come from the direction our house faces, and we have an unobstructed view for miles so the transformer sparks are readily seen.Just the fact that having to watch for twisters in between lightening flashes finally got the best of me lol. Where we live, twisters usually come through around midnight to 2:00 am.

freebird said:
When I was young(er) and more adventuresome, I volunteered as a storm-spotter (one eyed storm-spotter anyone?) and just step out on the front porch to watch for twisters lol. Often they come from the direction our house faces, and we have an unobstructed view for miles so the transformer sparks are readily seen.Just the fact that having to watch for twisters in between lightening flashes finally got the best of me lol. Where we live, twisters usually come through around midnight to 2:00 am.

:eek: Note to self: don't live anywhere near freebird. ;) :p

freebird

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
:eek: Note to self: don't live anywhere near freebird. ;) :p

LOL so far in all the years we've lived here (almost 34 years) we've only had 4 twisters anywhere near us. One (the worst) was 30 some odd miles away, but left so much hail on the ground that we still had hail in the ditches the next day. The closest was about 3 months ago, it was spotted directly over main street (1 1/4 mile away)but it never touched down. The other two were about 2 or 3 miles away and to the East and they came through about 4 years ago.

I can deal with tornado's, one just goes underground to escape them, earthquakes there's no escaping lol. I don't see how you deal with those. I'd be a basket case after one quake.:eek: :eek:

freebird said:
LOL so far in all the years we've lived here (almost 34 years) we've only had 4 twisters anywhere near us. One (the worst) was 30 some odd miles away, but left so much hail on the ground that we still had hail in the ditches the next day. The closest was about 3 months ago, it was spotted directly over main street (1 1/4 mile away)but it never touched down. The other two were about 2 or 3 miles away and to the East and they came through about 4 years ago.

I can deal with tornado's, one just goes underground to escape them, earthquakes there's no escaping lol. I don't see how you deal with those. I'd be a basket case after one quake.:eek: :eek:

Well, we haven't had a major quake here in over 100 years so the chances of you having a tornado are much greater. :eek: :p
I'd be underground so much they could call me Mole. :p

pgoat

One Too Many
freebird said:
ok, see, that part I don't envy you!!lol

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ahhh, dancing. Not much of a dancer, I do a great "white boy" dance: feet firmly in one spot on the floor with head and arms flailing about. But seriously, I've had a few ballroom dance classes. I've even taken one with my wife. We are not too good dancing together as she likes to lead--but it's loads of fun anyway.

I am much more "classic style" in my actions than in my dress. For dress, I'm more khaki pants and dress shirt, or dress pants and dress shirt. Very classic, but not sure if it's classically dressed. Watch is classic as well as hats and eyeglasses.

I believe in opening doors for women and being a man (and not just a male) about things. I believe you should do what is right even if it's to your detriment and not fashionable. I believe in patriotism, G-d, the constitution and that all men (people) are created equal.

I believe in using the generic "man" to mean people. I don't believe in changing pronouns around just to satisfy someone who takes themselves too seriously and may be "offended."

I believe a person DOES NOT have the right to not be offended. But, I do believe you should expect to get a bloody nose if you maliciously offend someone.

I believe if we had more manners and courtesy we would need fewer laws.

I find red lipstick and red nail polish sexy-- I like my women to look womanly. I believe in an honest days work for an honest days pay. I believe that you can "make it" in this country by hard work and doing your job better than your competitors.

Don't know if I'm "classic" but I do consider myself a little old school; i.e. I'm not an early adopter of the latest bleeding edge technology.

freebird

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Well, we haven't had a major quake here in over 100 years so the chances of you having a tornado are much greater. :eek: :p
I'd be underground so much they could call me Mole. :p

That's why they call this "Tornado Alley" lol. I suppose it's like everything else, whatever you get used to is what you're comfortable with. Not to say that I'm comfortable with tornado's, but I can deal with them on an occasional basis.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters