Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Realise Christmas Is Approaching When …

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hahahaha, just the soundtrack is Blackmore‘s Night instead El Condor Pasa in endless loop.

:D

Fifty150

One Too Many
upload_2021-12-11_20-19-27.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Bishop Antonio Stagliano doesn't appear that well versed in Catholic dogma:
Is Saint Nicholas and Santa Claus the same person? Santa Claus is a corruption of Saint Nicholas, The Dutch call him Sinterklaas which has come into American English as 'Santa Claus' short for Sint Nicolaas or, Saint Nicholas. St. Nicholas and Santa Claus are historically the same man.
This Christmas tell your children the real Santa Claus story

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You realize that Christmas is near when that jolly old elf comes to our beach town for his annual visit.

I’m talking about former President Obama, of course!

https://nypost.com/2021/12/21/obama-daughters-hit-the-water-for-annual-hawaii-christmas-vacation/

No snarky comments, please. It is the holiday season, after all, and he is loved as a local son in Hawaii. He wen grad Punaho! My daughter once assisted his daughter when she wandered into the book store where mine worked. Merry Christmas, everyone!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fixed that for ya'. :p

Oh, and I realize Christmas is approaching when even a hint of hearing Bruce Springsteen singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" again induces nausea.
How that made me chuckle, how I empathised with your sentiment. The UK had a 70's band name of Slade. They recorded the most awful, cheesy Christmas song over 40 years ago, it was called: "Merry Christmas Everybody." It pollutes the airwaves every time it gets played.

But much as I dislike that song I had to warm to the lead singer and author, one: Noddy Holder. When asked what he thought of the press reaction and vitriol he replied: "That record gets air time every year, and every year it pays about half a million in royalties. Best pension ever, wouldn't you say?" You can't really argue with that, still can't stand the song though. I will spare you a link, but if you are feeling a tad tipsy, bored or just plain had enough of it, go on to YouTube and type in the title. (Keep the bottle to hand though.)

How that made me chuckle, how I empathised with your sentiment. The UK had a 70's band name of Slade. They recorded the most awful, cheesy Christmas song over 40 years ago, it was called: "Merry Christmas Everybody." It pollutes the airwaves every time it gets played...

But much as I dislike that song I had to warm to the lead singer and author, one: Noddy Holder. When asked what he thought of the press reaction and vitriol he replied: "That record gets air time every year, and every year it pays about half a million in royalties. Best pension ever, wouldn't you say?" You can't really argue with that, still can't stand the song though. I will spare you a link, but if you are feeling a tad tipsy, bored or just plain had enough of it, go on to YouTube and type in the title. (Keep the bottle to hand though.)
Oh, yeah, infinitely worse than Mr. Springsteen's cover of a song that was first recorded in 1934. But, good for Noddy Holder! I can't tell from that quote if his motive for writing and recording the song was the royalties, but I almost always enjoy it when an "artist" acknowledges the business side and so casually admits there's money to be made from natural talent.

Edward

Bartender
Slade took the Christmas number one in 1973, the year bedore I was born, so the song has been a perennial my entire life. I rather like it. Fairytale of New York has the artistic credibility, but Slade really captured the sense of what a 'normal' family Christmas is.

To an extent the number was a commercial calcukation: while for me it will forever conjure up magical, childhood Christmasses with now long gone grandparents in the mid late 70s, it was written and recorded 8n the baking heat of a Florida Summer in 1973, as memory serves. But tgen even the mighty Fairytale of New York was consciously written as a shot at a commercial hit... (poor Kirtsy, twenty one years gone this month).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy