Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Realise Christmas Is Approaching When …

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm...Thursday...Thursday...ah, here it is. Nope, no snow. 74°F, mostly sunny, winds NNW @ 5 mph, 0% chance of rain.
A couple of nights ago, the BBC put on a program about Britain in 1963. We were hit by two cold fronts, one from the Siberian East and the other from the North Pole. I remember it well, it seemed as there would never be an end. The program ends by explaining the phenomenon that warm air can actually exacerbate a cold snap. Our bitterly cold winter of 1963 originated in, of all places, Hawaii.
This is the proram, there's about four minutes of introduction, then it cuts to both film of the freeze and news reports.

My needs in terms of morning radio music (it is my alarm) is it needs to be suitably annoying to push me out of bed. Jazz would be too enjoyable and noon might still find me abed. A pop/rock station is the best......annoying just enough to provide the impetus....but not headache inducing.....unless it is Celine Dion or the Beatles
Guaranteed to get you up. One Wurlitzer, look-a-like alarm clock, a miniature Wurlitzer I might add, that plays Rock Around The Clock as your wake up call. If the muzak doesn't get to you the bloody thing's flashing lights and disco colours will. The damn thing annoys me to insanity but it has never let me sleep in.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmm, now that’s news for me...:D

A reliable sign for Christmas to approach are those hordes of fundraisers marauding the city...:eek:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Cruisin' for a brusin' Youtube this afternoon, and I stumble upon Lisa Kelly's (formerly of Celtic Woman)
incomparable rendition of Santa Baby.

Sure as hell beats Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. :D

LED Mania

Attachments

• IMGP7848.JPG
    IMGP7848.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 494

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Listening to NPR and sipping coffee. The Star of Bethlehem being discussed,
a conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn last seen 1623, believed to be the Magi star.
A long time ago, I was stationed in Greece and planned a Christmas leave in Israel,
would call my mom from Bethlehem...but the PLO went active in Greece and I was stuck.:(

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
A new three parter started on the BBC on Saturday night called Gunpowder about the plot starring Kit Harington who's also in something called Game of Thrones (?) as chief plotter Robert Catesby who was actually his ancestor!

Lots of complaints about the violence so far after an old lady was stripped naked and crushed under a door followed by a young Jesuit priest being hung, drawn and quartered in glorious Technicolor!

I doubt it will be shown in the States though as few people over there know about the plot.

Gareth

It was on Netflix in Canada. I watched that one episode, but got turned off as it seemed to me it was sympathetic to the plotters. Nasty times all round i know, but one has to pick a side!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
When a huge pile of work lands on your desk on the Friday Afternoon before Christmas week... mainly because someone wanted to get it off their desk before year end.

Yeah, I got an email in on Friday - two hour before I officially went on leave - giving me a deadline of the day I go back for an exam paper. It also asked for advance notice if anyone would be late in putting their paper in. I sent by a response to the effect that they'll get mine a few days late because of my leave. They don't pay me enough to work during my leave (and I still do it far too often).

It was on Netflix in Canada. I watched that one episode, but got turned off as it seemed to me it was sympathetic to the terrorists.

Funny word, terrorist. It's really more of a value judgment than a noun.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Funny word, terrorist. It's really more of a value judgment than a noun.

Grammatical semantic traverse obviates moral resolve; and, relativity, like patriotism,
is an all too convenient refuge for scoundrels and scholastics. Vae victus veritas and all that jazz.
Pardon, couldn't resist being a ba***rd.

...curious to know more about that exam paper, what course are you teaching?

Sonero

Practically Family
I don't know if this is the right thread for this post but I will give it a go :

I just wanted to wish everyone on FL a Happy Holidays and best wishes for the year that approaches. We can all use a little inspiration right about now.

Over the last few months FL has been a great source of information to me and a welcome respite from all the madness going on. This year I dove head first into the world of Japanese denim and it has been a really fun journey learning about these denim houses that produce high quality garments at a time when junk reigns supreme.

Last year it was the silver jewelry and the year before that it was hats.

What's next ? FL never disappoints in its' offerings.

Anyway yeah a nice oasis in the midst of all the madness this year...

Have a great Holidays everyone and stay safe.

269208652.jpg

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just wanted to wish everyone on FL a Happy Holidays and best wishes for the year that approaches. We can all use a little inspiration right about now.

Over the last few months FL has been a great source of information to me and a welcome respite from all the madness going on.

Have a great Holidays everyone and stay safe.

Well said, Sonero. I second the motion. During the months of isolation and work from home this year, I have leaned on FL more than I normally would. It's been entertaining, informative, and a little silly sometimes. I greatly appreciate the civility and sense of community. Just what I needed. And I even made a few sideways virtual friends along the way. You know who you are. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone and hopefully the new year will be better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy