Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Tube Luxury Leather Video

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Isn't skiving pretty much the norm in most leather jackets?
I would suspect that only manufacturers concerned with authenticity in reproduction would avoid it. So that should include most brands we discuss here, shouldn't it?
If anybody has more information on this, it would certainly be very interesting for all of us here!

I believe that skiving the seams is something that’s done to make the seams easier to join. It also allows the seams to sit a bit more “flat” and allows a bit more ease in creating a uniform, tight seam. The effect on the integrity could be debated but I don’t see skived seams as being dramatically weaker, no proof either way in my experience.its true that Aero doesn’t do it, even on their heaviest 4oz plus hides. TBH Skiving the seams is the least of our dear lady’s problems. But if she has to do it on those hides...well, that’s just not good.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I agree with most of what she says about leather jackets and it's great to see she can make a living with designing leather jackets. Stitching I don't care about too much as long as it's solid. As for skiving, I'm pretty sure most makers do it, imagine a 1.4mm (3.5oz) hide that's folded over and then sewn together with another folded over hide; that's 6mm of solid leather right there. That's uncomfortable to wear and it looks unaesthetically as well. So this wouldn't stop me from buying a jacket made by her.

The leather and the price tag however.... but ey, she surely can source Horween leather and if she then gives me a 5000 USD discount, I'll be all listening. I like the front drop she puts on her jackets.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I wonder if the guy she's selling to is an actual customer, I can see his otherwise vacant eyes lighting up when he's told how much his trust fund is going to be.

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm not the expert here but that is done in shoemaking and look at how long leather shoes and boots last and they get more abuse than any leather jacket will ever receive.

Just because a maker doesn't do it doesn't mean it's a wrong method of doing it.
Japanese jackets are often both skived and glued- you get a tight, flat seam that way.

"For me, they're meant to be thrown around... Worn everywhere. Something that you should be wearing. You should live in it."

"Most beautiful thing to me on a leather jacket is when I see someone wearing one is the creases in the arms..."

"Every experience you've had in that jacket... Something evolves in that material."

"It's like modern day armor... 'cause it gives you this confidence that you really don't get from any other piece of clothing."

I'm kind of in love here. That... intense expression doesn't help, either.

But from the things she says, she really knows what she's talking about and more importantly, she knows what people want and expect from a leather jacket, even if they don't know it themselves.

Plus, seems that the company offers a full on bespoke service and then there's that no two jackets alike deal... I don't know. $5K is a lot of money but ever since it became okay to pay $2500+ for an OTR, I don't see why this would be that much obscene.

If I was extremely rich, I'd get at least one of their jackets. But in any case, I wish her and her business all the luck in the world. She's truly passionate about leather jackets and she actually gets them. What's not to love or at least like?

"For me, they're meant to be thrown around... Worn everywhere. Something that you should be wearing. You should live in it."

"Most beautiful thing to me on a leather jacket is when I see someone wearing one is the creases in the arms..."

"Every experience you've had in that jacket... Something evolves in that material."

"It's like modern day armor... 'cause it gives you this confidence that you really don't get from any other piece of clothing."

I'm kind of in love here. That... intense expression doesn't help, either.

But from the things she says, she really knows what she's talking about and more importantly, she knows what people want and expect from a leather jacket, even if they don't know it themselves.

Plus, seems that the company offers a full on bespoke service and then there's that no two jackets alike deal... I don't know. $5K is a lot of money but ever since it became okay to pay $2500+ for an OTR, I don't see why this would be that much obscene.

If I was extremely rich, I'd get at least one of their jackets. But in any case, I wish her and her business all the luck in the world. She's truly passionate about leather jackets and she actually gets them. What's not to love or at least like?
Yeah but:
SAVAS_0572.JPG

SAVAS_0569.JPG

zebedee

One Too Many
She'd stare you down. Right tf down. And you know it. You'd go in there: 'Hey, I saw the video and, yes, but Aero/LW/Eastman blah, blah, blah' and there'd be an intense silence. She'd just look at you, and wouldn't blink. You'd have the urge to protect your upper body, maybe half-heartedly scratch your left elbow with your right hand, and she'd just not break the stare. You wouldn't even hear the reply, the stare would be so steady. Finally, you'd start to reply, like some sad, squeaky-voiced clown. 'Do you even skive?' she'd ask, genuinely amazed. And you'd be lost. You'd have lost.

Last edited:

VestCoast

A-List Customer
This sort of thing makes total sense to me. Austin and Nashville have a lot of similarities in terms of culture and disposable income and luxury shops like this are all over the place. I recently went to an 'Espresso and Leather Shop' and the set-up there was just like this. Incredibly well provisioned workshop with high end tools/machines with a lot of room to lay out hides. They even had a hydraulic clicking machine. The goods they were selling were just not on par with the cost though; $1000 raw leather backpacks with raw edges, overly riveted, nickel plated hardware, with a very minimal design. The problem with this business model is that locality allows it to depart from standard economic normalizing processes that come with scale. A shop with one or two craftspeople can produce lower quality products (at least in terms of quality control, consistency, etc.) in an area with high disposable income especially if they use components that are higher quality than most people encounter in their lives. If you're used to bonded leather belts, seeing a bag made out of 8oz milled cowhide will feel seem incredibly luxurious. Corrected top grain will look like flawless leather, and without any experience, seams and hardware finishes will go overlooked. Here on TFL's outerwear forum, everyone has much higher working knowledge of leather than the general public so this 5k jacket maker just looks obscene compared to Aero's offerings. Aero is just in another league, quite literally. Aero has to price competitively while adhering to their standard of quality, and benefit from decades of experience both on the machining and business end.

That being said, having individual artisans around is good for the economy and also for obsessives us. The woman in this video is admittedly on the far end of the reality spectrum; the forced uniqueness is gimmicky and the overall craftsmanship is undoubtedly topped by numerous other makers. However, despite this, some people clearly take advantage of the service she provides. The involvement that the customer has in the process here is most likely unprecedented for much of the clientele and rationalizing the price is probably quite easy for people with that kind of money to throw around. I would personally consider this an immense waste of money. Frankly though, if this jacket maker lifts the general recognition of artisans and makes people appreciate things that aren't made on an assembly line, then I am glad to have her around.

I hope more makers out there will get the chance to have their craft displayed in video like this one.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
She'd stare you down. Right tf down. And you know it. You'd go in there: 'Hey, I saw the video and, yes, but Aero/LW/Eastman blah, blah, blah' and there be an intense silence. She's just look at you, and wouldn't blink. You'd have the urge to protect your upper body, maybe half-heartedly scratch your left elbow with your right hand, and she'd just not break the stare. You wouldn't even hear the reply, the stare would be so steady. Finally, you'd start to reply, like some sad, squeaky-voiced clown. 'Do you even skive?' she'd ask, genuinely amazed. And you'd be lost. You'd have lost.
This is simply amazing prose! I don’t know if you write, either for fun or to make a living, but you have the gift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112