Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

Bernard Newman

New in Town
Hello,

I wanted to ask if here are younger people (up to 25) and why they decided to get in the vintage style.

Now I want to introduce myself:

My name is Bernhard, I'm 18 years old and I live in Vienna, Austria.
I'm interressted in archaeology and history (esp. the 30's and 40's) for many years and like swing-music a lot.

So this is me in a quite vintage-styled suit:

186062.jpg

Greetings from Vienna,
Bernhard

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome!

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge. We'll be glad to learn more about you.

Vienna! Such a lucky man to be in such a beautiful City! You look elegant and at home in your suit and hat.

There are many young members here, including many in their teen years. I'll be happy to hear their contributions to your discussion.

Enjoy your stay.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge.

I myself am 19, I like Swing Music too and movies from the period.

The vintage style for me was a realization over time, much of the Golden Era style and culture appeals to me more than anything else around and I don't care for most of todays "style" at all.

I find much of the modern world vulgar and lacking in class. Class that the 1930's-1940's had, ideally.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge.

I'm 22. I was drawn by a combination of old hollywood glamour and a love of action and noir movies set in the period. And the clothes are great.

I was predisposed; I've always been a history geek. Especially WWII.

What I know the least about is the music, but in the words of Monty Python, "I'm getting bettah! I feel happy!"lol This board is a great resource and the people are spiffy.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Well, I'm going to be 25 for 16 more days...

I got into Historical Costuming starting with the Renaissance (was dressed up before I could walk). I started studying on my own around 13-14 years old feuled by Anne of Green Gables, and went gung ho for Victorian and Edwardian. Started collected vintage and going to the Santa Monica Vintage Expo about the same time, and watching classic film the same time as well. I got into the 30's when I was around 18-19 and just skirted the 40's a tad when I started swing dancing in 1998. I had one 40's dress I wore for years and collected the previous eras instead. Started collecting vintage sewing patterns around 1999, but really picked it up full fledged in 2002. I was introduced to the Fedora Lounge by my ex-boyfriend, Daniel Riser, I believe about 2 year ago.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Matthew Dalton said:
The vintage style for me was a realization over time, much of the Golden Era style and culture appeals to me more than anything else around and I don't care for most of todays "style" at all.

Same here, it was just a sort of natural progression when I realized that I didn't want to be in ripped up jeans and a t-shirt for the rest of my life (this was around the age of 15).

I'm 18 now, and now I am in college, to me it just seems that EVERYONE looks the same, as if they were clones or something. I never wanted to be that, I suppose, following modern trends and the like(not that all of them are bad of course).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Oh, he's not a Lounger, but I've also managed to attract some interest from my younger (17-year-old) brother, for things like suits and watches and whatnot. I think that's kind of cool. I credit movies like The Rocketeer as much as anything, though.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I'm 19, I've always liked a little formality, and threw on a sportcoat and tie for going out with my friends since my freshman year. I wore ties out of place and stuff all the way back to 14. And I've always liked class and style, and jazz.

The real turning point came last year, when I realized alot of my modern suits didn't quite look right with the skinny ties I developed a taste for after watching "The Twilight Zone", "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Bewitched". I loved the look of the late fifties/early sixties stuff, still do, it just looks so clean. But then I checked eBay out, thinking 'hey, maybe I can get one of the actual suits!' and sure enough, right away, I won two dated 1963 deadstock suits with an extra pair of pants each for 40 bucks. In case I lost that auction, I also bid on a 40's grey blue windowpane DB. The 40's suit wasn't in perfect condition, but it's great. Shortly after that, I found the lounge while searching for a new fedora when one was ripped off my head at a party. (Quick note: never give in the temptation to lend your hat to anyone, it will come back stained, if at all.) eBay suit hunting became an addiction, and now I have 3 40's DBs, 4 60's SBs, and a number of other things. I also have 1 40's hat, one 50's hat, one 60's hat, and one modern one I got before I knew better. Someday I hope to get a custom olive pinstriped SB suit with peaked lapels and a vest with peaked lapels, but that won't happen for years, unless I find a big bag of money in my mailbox.

It's a great hobby, but expect to spend alot buying, altering, and cleaning. But it's worth it. I love the compliments, and the school paper's fashion columnist interviewed me yesterday.

I like the vintage styles and class alot, but I really couldn't picture living in the timeperiod (although I would take lots of suit buying trips). I think we've lost alot, but gained a whole lot more over the years. I think it's possible to have an egalitarian society with style, however.

Edit: people tend to think I'm eaither a stiff or artsy when they see me about, but most quickly learn that I'm a biology major who is no stranger to funk.

Phil

A-List Customer
Hey, I'm 17. I'm interesting in listeing and playing swing music. I think the vintage look is very classy and a nice refreshing style against Abercrombie and other such disgners.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm 45 now, but I started wearing my dad's old fedora back in high school, and I used a shaving brush and soap soon after I started shaving. It helped me develop my own style, as I never felt the need to be just like everybody else.

Welcome aboard!

Bernard Newman

New in Town
Thank you all for the friendly welcome

I liked to dress with class since I was quite small.
I haven't a real vintage suit now, but a tux jacket and I wait for my tuxvest at the moment.
My everydaywear is almost ever vintage-inspired. My mum like it, she likes old movies and so herself, but my father don't like when I'm dressed "like a fifty-year old man"... He's one of those who dress like he's twenty, even if he's already 43.

Scotrace, thank you for your compliments, and you're right, Vienna is a very beautyful city but even in the world's capital of ballroom dancing (I'm going to a ball ca. three times a year) nearly nobody wears a tailcoat or a tuxedo (expect on very formal balls like the officer's ball or the Vienna Opera Ball).
Also here are hardly ever swing-events, so I would like to visit to events like the QM in the US but there are a few problems:

1, I don't know anybody there,
2, My parents wouldn't be amused
and 3) the money. :(

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh, wow, Bernard. I want to go to Vienna so badly! There's lots of big historical gowns I'd be dying to wear in your amazing buildings over there... especially to something like this Granted, not golden era, but cool :)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Greetings from a 19 year old cat, Bernhard!

I had an interest in all things vintage since I was a kid (cars and movies in particular), but I really didn't explore vintage style until I got my first taste of swing music (and a hat). Nowadays, I won't go near anything of modern appearance or design (well, some things I do tolerate)

Novella

Practically Family
Hi there! I just turned 20 Wednesday. I love history, and the periods I'm interested in are usually heavily influenced by the movies I've been watching and the books I've been reading. I started out as very interested in Victorian Britain from miniseries like The Foryste Saga. I shifted more towards the golden era as I became interested in advertising of the first half of the 20th century and started to watch movies on the TV channel Turner Classic Movies. I loved the way that people dressed and looked in old advertisements and movies so I started to think why can't I present myself that way too!

Clothing and style accompany the culture that I'm so interested in. I haven't gotten very into the clothing buying yet since I'm in college and I move so often and have a very short budget. I dedicate my time to things other than getting around budgetary constraints. But I do listen to plenty of old music (I can't talk it, but I appreciate it), watch tons of old movies, and read old magazines and books.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Almost 22.
Hooked because of American Film Noir, early 20th century American Literature and Raymond Chandler detective fiction.
Stuck because dang it -- it's cool.

Most of my "vintage-living" amounts to writing my own detective fiction, wearing fedoras and wishing I had the guts and the money to take it further than that.

As for this place, welcome -- and what a mighty fine place it is.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I'm 21 and I only have two words to describe who pushed me over the edge...

Two words to define the person upon whose shoulders all blame will be placed...

Dick Tracy.

(Ha you probably thought I was going to say Indiana Jones didn't you? Well now you know the truth... the man with the radio watch beat him to the punch. Beat the Godfather series to it too :p)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I guess the would would put me in limbo.

Im 28: Some say too old to be a kid (pishaw!) and some say to young to be an adult (most folks I know say that) [huh] .

Ive been into vintage since I was 10 years old. I didnt start wearing the clothing most of the time till a few years ago, but Ive always had someting 'old' in my company.

I like it better that way. :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21