Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Closet & Wardrobe Management

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I guess I always feel like everyone else is perfectly organized and I am the one who somehow can't manage to get her act together. lol

THIS from a person who has seen my house?! :p

I keep my vintage loosely folded (creases are the enemy!) in 2 large cardboard storage boxes with lids from IKEA. Hanging will eventually distort and strain the fabrics. The boxes are loosely sorted into "Pre 50s" and "50s" but I tend to jumble through the boxes every week to find something to wear out. Pretty soon I'm going to need a box exclusively for my WWII gear, but I haven't gotten there yet...

My hats are everywhere (mabe I'd better get one of those IKEA boxes for those, too...). I try to keep my vintage shoes in shoe boxes instead of out on the rack where they get crunched and kicked and have big stinky boy shoes dropped on them.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Storage is a bit of a problem for me as well :( what I do is separate the winter clothes from the summer one's. So, depending on what time of year it is, one or the other are in storage. Another thing I do is, after a year or so, go through everything and see what can be donated to a local thrift store.

maisie

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
Storage is a bit of a problem for me as well :( what I do is separate the winter clothes from the summer one's. So, depending on what time of year it is, one or the other are in storage. Another thing I do is, after a year or so, go through everything and see what can be donated to a local thrift store.

Over here in England, there is absolutly no point in separating the clothes up into different seasons, as you can always bet the weather will change!:mad:
Considering it is August it could go from boiling hot to cold and rainy, within a day!:rage: Last weekend i sorted out a winter suit to wear and packed the umbrellas, cause the forcast was rainy ( and this forcast was the same up until the day before as well!), but then on the day it turned out not to rain at all, was sunny and far to hot for a suit!!:rolleyes:

BonnieJean

Practically Family
storing stockings?

I was wondering how you ladies store your stockings? I live in a small home and space is limited. I have been storing mine in a tall skinny dresser, but my collection is spilling out. I've been looking for some type of storage container or organizer for them, but I haven't found anything that would work for stockings--something that wouldn't snag them and still be easy enough to find what I need.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I keep some mine in a quilted satin box, which is divided just for this purpose. I'll also use the satin bags designed for travel to keep my nylons from snagging while in my dresser.

I also have a plastic storage unit with small drawers that I bought at Target--I keep various bits of lingerie and stockings in it as it makes it very easy to find what I am looking for :)

Donna Stewart

New in Town
I'm lucky enough to live in a small 1920's apartment block, the house itself is lovely but unfortunately it comes complete with hopelessly impractical storage space. My clothes cupboard is basically just a sectioned off end of a corridor with a whimsical little door that only lets you see about a half of the actual storage space. It came with a clothes rail and a hat shelf, but I've made the most of that space by attaching 2 sets of hanging fabric shelving from Ikea to the clothes rail and hanging all easily wrinkled items from clothes hangers in between. Everything else I store in labeled cardboard boxes either on the hat shelf or on the floor of the cupboard, but after reading this thread I think I'll go buy myself a shoe organiser to hang on the door.

BonnieJean said:
I was wondering how you ladies store your stockings?

I keep mine in an evening purse that doesn't see much use.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Wardrobe Management...

…keeping track of your varied and ever-changing closet.

http://www.dressassistant.com/

I’ve been playing with the demo version of this software for a few weeks now and thought I might share. There are versions for both Windows and Mac platforms and it’s handy bit of software for ladies and gentlemen who like to inventory, arrange or experiment with different outfit combinations.

While I don’t really have that many clothes, I always seem to forget what I have, what I need, etc. so I’ve been looking to see if there is any software out there to help. Naturally, I thought this would be a good fit. So far I am really getting to like it and thinking of purchasing a license. Of course, I still love pulling things out of the closet and putting outfits together but keeping a record of winning combinations also has its appeal.

If you know of any other wardrobe software out there for Mac, I would love to try it out as well.

P.

Shearer

Practically Family
"The portraits in Dress Assistant were taked from the art book TRAGICA by the artist Griselda Alvarez."

Tr?°gica.

Yep, that pretty much describes my closet lol

Actually, I just had a fit of spring cleaning and reordered everything really nice. I've heard of this before and just DLed the demo. It only lets you put in 20 articles of clothing...

...but don't they say we only use 20% of our wardrobe 80% of the time?

SayCici

Practically Family
I double- and tripe-checked that this has not been posted before, but I'm sure I'll be corrected. :)

How is your wardrobe organized? Where do you keep your shoes, hats? Pictures encouraged!

I'm also curious to know what you all do when you grow out of certain dresses? Like 10 years from now, will you have kept the things you used to wear even if they no longer fit you?

SayCici

Practically Family
august2009056.jpg

august2009057.jpg

august2009055.jpg

august2009059.jpg

Shoes!

august2009060.jpg

august2009051.jpg

This, up until the other day, used to be in my closet, with dresses pushed to either the left or right, but it got to the point where I could barely reach things. I thought I'd have a lot of space when I moved it but no. I'm keeping the second shelf free for my growing hat collection. The blue container has some of my great-grandmother's handkerchiefs in it, gloves on to. I'm not sure why I still have those jeans laying around!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SayCici said:
I double- and tripe-checked that this has not been posted before, but I'm sure I'll be corrected. :)

I searched for words like 'wardrobe' 'closet' and looked not only for thread titles, but posts as well. Found it in two min.

LD

SayCici

Practically Family
I did too, but really what I want is to see pictures!

edit: I think some threads are alright to re-post/start, because a lot of the older ones have missing pictures and things change. :)

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
what i like to call my external closet:

PICT0169.jpg

my hats get hung on most everything head shaped, my shoes go in my dresser drawers as do modern clothing, but my room is too embarrassingly messy to post any of that :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points