Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your fantasy/perfect outfit

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
My dear Marc, you should try to differentiate a sense of humour from a practical joke more.

As far as I can recall, the only time I've tried to pull a practical joke was on Dr. Greg's tie iron (actually, his posting was quite educational and I hope I have not offended him because of that). Otherwise, my profuse apologies to him.

I commend those gentlemen who have with a generous heart taken my postings more seriously. Every little bit from all of them is another pearl of wisdom; I thank them for the kindness they have shown from the bottom of their hearts.

Of course, I too appreciate your humorous comments every now and then; even this one. But I hope no one gets discouraged responding to my hungry queries. Best regards to all.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
manton said:
This thread was about practicality?

Not necessarily. You can find all cashmere. Yes, nearly all good wool is Australian.

True, they will feel smoother to the touch, but the fabric will almost certainly be of inferior quality and cost more.
===================== End of quote =====================
You're right, Sir, of course. Thanks for the valuable leads, which I shall try to follow up on my next trip to London; maybe I'll look up my old school down in Houghton Steet, and perhaps buy an old school tie there; but they might no longer stock 100% silk ones, perhaps they're afraid of being accused of elitism were they to jack up the price to over GBP 100.

I also agree with you that Merino blended with cashmere and Super 150 worsteds would be inferior to and unnecessarily more expensive than the practical standard Super 90 worsted Just love their more luxurious feel, that's all.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Happy Stroller said:
===================== End of quote ===================

Oh, yes, trust good ol' Marc to give such prudent advice. Thank you, Sir.

Therefore, I shall leave instructions in a Codicil to my Last Will & Testament for a last-minute substitution of the valuable pocket watch by an 18-jewel (made from insignificant non-jewellery/gem-grade Ihaho Sapphire) 24K gold-plated (2 micron thick) Chairman Mao battery-powered pocket watch (less unnecessary battery, with the hands stopped at the exact time of passing away, as should be the usual practice for time pieces displayed in the house of a deceased person) plus a cheap 18K-plated chain just before the lid is finally closed.
================== End of quote =========================
Oops! I forgot it was for a funeral. Anything gold-plated should be replaced by brass, copper, pewter, steel or solid silver.

One selection

If you ever get the chance to see "International House" a delightful comedy with W.C. Fields and a selection of comedy greats, you may notice the Hotel Manager played by Franklin Pangborn. In his capacity as manager he wears a superb version of a morning suit and it is just choice!:eusa_clap

I'd like that for starters.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've got what is essentially the 'perfect' ensemble to suit my tastes, but the eyes of man are never satisfied.

I've posted pictures of my Bogie trench and green suit. Those combined with my green fedora and russet wingtips, coordinated with a rust or green tie are just about the exact look I'm after.

I'm still looking for a brown '30s single-breasted peak lapel 3-button 3-piece suit. I've given up hope for now...there are other things I need to be spending time and money on, anyway.

manton

A-List Customer
Yeah, white tie is on life support. Two dinners a year in Washington, three in New York, one in (of all places) Los Angeles, and I think the SF Deb Ball went black tie a few years ago. I don't know about other cities.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
manton said:
So did Bush, in 2003.

2745807hc6.jpg

2745837ud5.jpg

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Not for everyone, you have been warned. --Mod style.

Suit: 2 inch peaked lapel, single button, cocktail cuffs. Brown sharkskin. Made by Sy Devore(of course) in his LA Digs.

Belt or Bracers: No beltloops or bracers on these sharkskin slacks, boys.

Shoes: B&W two tone loafers from Sears circa 1960.

Tie: 2 inch black.

Hat:Adam Premier 1.5 inch stingy brim.

Shirt: White, french cuff, 2 inch collar. So stiff you could bounce a bullet off it.

Cufflinks: Silver starbursts handed down to me from my grandfather.

One Ashton VSG Cigar to my lips. If the cigar is not available, please send Kim Novak.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Tasty. But black and white shoes with a brown suit? :eusa_doh:

Here's mine.

Suit: Blue polychrome 3-season donegal tweed.
3-piece, single-breasted coat, belted swingback, bellows pockets, welted-edge lapel.
6-button vest, 4 slit pockets, matching-color moiré back.
Reverse-double-pleat pants, belted tabs, lined to the knee, 1 3/4" cuff.

Shirt: Pale silver-grey with black and blue pencil stripes. Long point attached collar, worn pinned. Single French cuffs, linked with topazes set in silver.

Tie: Cream yellow pongee silk. Harmonizing (but not quite matching) pocket hankey.

Belt: Black alligator, monogrammed square silver slide buckle.

Socks: Pale grey, cable knit, mid-calf height.

Shoes: Cap-toe perforated spectators. Black calf over white buck.

Hat: Dove grey fur felt, teardrop crown, pinch front, 2 3/8" brim, self color grograin band and edging.

Ride: 1936 Buick Trunkback Convertible Phaeton, dove grey, tan top, tan leather seats.

Traveling Companion: Rosalind Russell, age 30.

Luggage: Tan leather to match the seats of the Buick. His and hers, thank you...;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Note that the Duke of Edinburgh is wearing an older style of tails: the coat is shorter in the front, and so is the waistcoat. President Bush's tailcoat is longer in the front.

I give Bush's outfitter a lot of credit for making sure that his waistcoat bottom is lined up with his coat, instead of hanging down below it.

2745837ud5.jpg

JamesT1

Familiar Face
Someone should have told Mr. Bush to wear his pants at the proper hight, as they look like they are sagging a bit.

JamesT1

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
The Duke of Edinburgh's trouser legs look too long as well.

Indeed, I think what makes our President's trouser legs stand out if that it is a front shot of his legs, which only makes the problem look worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner