Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Cartoons You Don't See Anymore

PoohBang

Suspended
I am too cheap for expanded cable and also tend to be against Ted Turner's thoughts on buying up the rights to everything so only he can broadcast it as Turner Broadcasting and Time Warner sees fit.
yes, cable is not cheap, netflix is though.
Plus most of these series are on dvd.
As to Ted, I agree to a point, but probably without Ted half of what he owns would never see the light of day if it wasn't for him putting it out there.

I'm just saying none of these cartoons are lost. They can all be found and enjoyed if you look. No, they'll never be on free off air TV anymore. Unless I missed the point of this tread and it's really just a, "I like "this" vintage cartoon."

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I loved Fractured Fairy Tales on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
[video=youtube;f6bwyILxtYA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=f6bwyILxtYA[/video]

BigFitz

Practically Family
I'm just saying none of these cartoons are lost. They can all be found and enjoyed if you look. No, they'll never be on free off air TV anymore. Unless I missed the point of this tread and it's really just a, "I like "this" vintage cartoon."

Well, my original intent of the thread was Cartoons that aren't broadcast anymore and why. I remember some cartoons that were shown when I was a kid that have been either edited for content or not shown anymore because changes in our culture. I recall one that at the end shows a cat pulling out a revolver and committing suicide. Understandable now why that was edited out but I didn't think much of it as a kid. Underdog popping pills to get strong isn't going to get any airplay these days. I recall other cartoons that had bigoted points of view. Not trying to defend these cartoons, just curious what other people remember from the old days and what has changed to make them unacceptable today.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There was an ending to a Bugs Bunny cartoon that featured a very short minstral show. Even in the '60s, it wasn't shown on TV. The cartoon edited ended with Bugs, with a guitar or uke singing, 'Ohhh . . .' and then cross-fading to the credits, as the song was cut out before the image could register.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For that matter, when's the last time anyone saw a Bugs Bunny cartoon on television? Not DVD, not some cable channel at 2 am, but in the afternoon on a regular TV station? Not since the late '90s would be my guess. An entire generation of kids has come and gone who know Bugs, if at all, only as a merchandising character and corporate logo without any idea of why anyone would want to wear his face on a sweatshirt.

PoohBang

Suspended
only the kids that don't own Vhs, DVD, have cable or internet would be the ones that don't know bugs...

again, all these cartoons can be found if looked for. Even the "bad" ones. If you're saying why aren't they still on broadcast TV, well, tell me what shows over 60 years old are still broadcast on the big 3?... cartoon or live action. Only Holiday classics appear once a year...

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
For that matter, when's the last time anyone saw a Bugs Bunny cartoon on television? Not DVD, not some cable channel at 2 am, but in the afternoon on a regular TV station? Not since the late '90s would be my guess. An entire generation of kids has come and gone who know Bugs, if at all, only as a merchandising character and corporate logo without any idea of why anyone would want to wear his face on a sweatshirt.

That's not necessarily true, I can't remember what network is running it but there is the "New Looney Tunes" show currently running. A watered down, PC-version but Bugs Bunny is a regular there among others. It just might not be the Bugs *we* grew up with and know.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Looney Tunes Platinum collection volume 1 just came out on Blu-Ray.
Sometimes clear is too clear. What I mean is, the lines are more visible, but the colors are very vibrant.
For some reason I thought the cartoons lasted longer, but then again the last time I saw them was 20yrs ago with commercials.
My wife bought this collection and I'm very happy with it.
There is also a Golden collection from a few years back, each has several cartoons the other one does not.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Probably won't mean much to the non-Commonwealth types here but...

Roobarb & Custard
Danger Mouse

Grew up with them and still love them.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Several years ago on a trip to Italy I saw a Bugs Bunny cartoon dubbed in italian. You would swear we here in the U.S.A. were seeing Bugs dubbed in english. The mannerisms were that perfect.
Tom D.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Beany & Cecil and Tom Terrific were very early childhood favorites. Local origination children's shows were great at introducing me to early cartoonists like "Uncle Maxie" as Ms. Boop referred to him. Walter Lantz, Humphrey, Tex Avery, Harvey were all names that loomed large.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I very much enjoy the Tom and Jerry cartoons. An archetype of the "buddy" cartoon, with great visual gags and
synchronization by Gene Rodemich's Orchestra, one of my favorite bands.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Anybody remember Mighty Mouse?

Absolutely! One of my favorite cartoons as a young child.

As I grew older I really liked Bugs Bunny. It's amazing how many layers of humor were woven into the dialogue. It kept the cartoons interesting as I grew older and "got" some of the more subtle implications of the jokes.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Another I remember my parents bringing home for us to watch:

[video=youtube;xmelTlEzI34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmelTlEzI34[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo