Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite jacket that you returned?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
New thread idea here, Add to this thread - what jackets had you really hoped would work out - but did not...?

I'll start off as follows...since I found a neat "un-branded" vintage jacket that looked to be my size, and was unique enough I toyed with the idea of having it re-made. Then it showed up - and the leather in the back, shoulders and arms was so poor of condition, it literally felt like dried out cardboard. It did not "quite" fall apart on me directly, but it was very close.

Fortunately the ebay seller accepted returned, and I had the return request in within the hour. Just too poor of condition to work with. However it did come close to fitting (I am around a 44L suit coat) and the way this jacket was built is really cool. It's also un-lined. I think it may be older than "1950's" but what do you all think? Fit photos and some overview photos of this jacket attached.

Jacket itself:
DSC_0063.JPG DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0070.JPG DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0075.JPG

Here's how it fit (I was sad that this was such a nice fit, but I could never wear it as intended):

DSC_0057.JPG DSC_0054.JPG DSC_0059.JPG

And here were the most major issues:

Snaps_06.JPG Snaps_10.JPG

Kit Karson MC jacket with seam issues. That was disappointing. I’ve had that happen a few times to jackets I am excited to receive. I also recall one Cal that had such a bad odor I’m positive the seller dug it out of someone’s grave.

More often it’s a slightly inaccurate measurement. One that puts the jacket in the oh, so close category. I can better handle measurements that are way off than close. Possibly the worst, accurate measurements that should be spot on but still don’t work. Lol.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Yeah, I wanted to post something to dissuade @AeroFan_07 from buying due to extensive and severe damage, but I thought he was buying it to make a 5* replica. Interesting jacket, but in this shape worth about $30, and suitable only to make a replica if one were so inclined.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Overall I'm likely not going with much more "actual vintage" unless it can be verified a little more. My size and length makes anything vintage a really difficult fit in the first place.

And yes, had this have been a $25 - 50 jacket I would have sent it to Johnson's and be re-made. I could still do it with the photos I have, but just seeing if that's what I really want to do. This one needs to find a home in a museum.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
it looks challenging to find corelated snaps
Navetsea - I agree. I was honestly thinking I would have Johnson's re-use those - however I paid $300 for this jacket [Need Head examination - please...] Had I paid more like $25- 50 I may have had them simply take that jacket apart and take all the still good hardware and install it into the new jacket.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I've bought a few jackets I was really excited about that didn't work out, and a good handful of what was I thinking duds that I'm embarrassed to have ever bought.
There's only one jacket I returned though which I think was actually my 1st attempt to buy a leather jacket on Ebay if I remember correctly.
It was a nice looking ( I thought so ) American made A2 I payed under $50 for and assumed would be decent enough, but it turned out to be chintzy pleather junk.
The worst part was that it cost me $20 to mail it back and the jacket probably wasn't even worth $5.

One that sucks the most is the nice Brooks cafe racer I bought that turned out to be a woman's jacket with something I learned were called darts on the chest.
It's a nice looking piece and if it were a mens jacket I'd probably wear it often.

At some point I need to list it on here for the cost of shipping, I payed almost $100 for it almost 2 years ago now I think but as far as I know this section seems to mostly be inhabited by men so I figure there's nobody to actually buy it off me.

Viking752

Practically Family
I bought this Reed Sportswear naked cowhide jacket and released it back into the wild. It was good in every way but the sleeves were a bit short and the cuff was small. It was a USA made of their jackets and was heavy leather and just like my Schott one series leather. If I could have stretched the sleeves I would be wearing it. I have since bought 2 more Reeds but the leather was weird and not at all the same quality.

IMG_0660.jpeg

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I returned all of the Real McCoys jackets that I tried due to fit issues. A2, Nelson, Mobster. Beautiful jackets, just didn’t suit my body type I guess.

It was an expensive lesson, but worth it in some ways. Now I know measurements don’t always tell the complete story.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Wow. In what universe is that jacket anything other than garbage? It’s completely done for. Honestly it’s not even worth giving away. Parts and scrap jacket at best.
100% agree. If the seller wanted to "give" it to me I would send it to Johnson's to do a re-make.

However given his price adjustment, I seriously doubt there's any "giving" that away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner