Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

m0nk

One Too Many
I saw some other "The Big Sleep" quotes earlier, but didn't see this one:

"I don't slap so good around this time of the evening"

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'A Matter of Life and Death' (aka 'Stairway to Heaven')
In a discussion between an American and an Englishman, the American (Raymond Massey) quotes George Washington and then says "Could an Englishman have said that?"
Roger Livesey replies "What was George Washington?"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Favorite quotes from LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (1962). There are so many!

"Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when Allah gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face."

"A man who tells lies, like me, merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies, like you, has forgotten where he put it."

"Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then, old men make the peace ... and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution."

"Truly, for some men, nothing is written unless they write it."

"With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me, it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable."

"I carry twenty-three great wounds, all got in battle. Seventy-five men have I killed with my own hands. I scatter, I burn my enemies' tents; I take away their flocks and herds. The Turks pay me a golden treasure, yet I am poor! Because I am a river to my people!"

"You are merely a general. I must be a king."

"I cannot fiddle, but I can make a great state of a small city."

"Big things have small beginnings, sir."

Last edited:

rue

You've got mail

Joe Fox: The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino.

Kathleen Kelly: I thought all that Fox stuff was so charming. F-O-X.
Joe Fox: Well, I didn't *lie* about it.
Kathleen Kelly: "Joe"? "Just call me Joe"? As if you were one of those stupid 22-year old girls with no last name? "Hi, I'm Kimberly!" "Hi, I'm Janice!" Don't they know you're supposed to have a last name? It's like they're an entire generation of cocktail waitresses.

Joe Fox: It wasn't... personal.
Kathleen Kelly: What is that supposed to mean? I am so sick of that. All that means is that it wasn't personal to you. But it was personal to me. It's *personal* to a lot of people. And what's so wrong with being personal, anyway?
Joe Fox: Uh, nothing.
Kathleen Kelly: Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal.

Frank Navasky: Name me one thing, *one*, that we've gained from technology.
Kathleen Kelly: Electricity.
Frank Navasky: That's one.
[points to Kathleen's computer]
Frank Navasky: You think this machine is your friend, but it's not.

Kathleen Kelly: Is it infidelity if you're involved with somebody on email?
Christina Plutzker: Have you had sex?
Kathleen Kelly: No, of course not! I don't even know him.
Christina Plutzker: No, I mean *cyber*sex.
Kathleen Kelly: No.
Christina Plutzker: Well, you know what? Don't do it, 'cause the minute you do, they lose all respect for you.
Birdie Conrad: What are you girls talking about?
Christina Plutzker: Cybersex.
Birdie Conrad: I tried to have cybersex once, but I kept getting a busy signal.

Kathleen Kelly: What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you.

Kathleen Kelly: [in an email to Joe Fox] The odd thing about this form of communication is that you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings.

Last edited:

Cicero

A-List Customer
One of my favorites is from the 1930 movie, All quit on the western front.

One soldier to another!
"At the next war let all the Kaisers, presidents and generals and diplomats go into a big field and fight it out first among themselves. That will satisfy us and keep us at home.
"

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
General Sternwood in The Big Sleep, talking about his favorite drink:

"Champagne as cold as Valley Forge, on top of 2 or 3 ponies of brandy"

Ice cold champagne on top of brandy. No wonder the old ba***rd is paralysed

From O C and Stiggs:

Daniel Jenkins, examining grenade : Oh my God! This is real!

Dennis Hopper: Sooner or later everything is, Crazy Boy.

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Can't remember if I posted these ones from Apocalypse Now

My favourite: Chef: "Never get out of the boat"

and, Kurtz: "You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."

Dr. Evil: "Scott, I want you to meet Daddy's nemesis Austin Powers."
Scott Evil: "What? Are you feeding him? Why don't you just kill him?"
Dr. Evil: "No Scott, I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death."

Last edited:
Dr. Evil: "Scott, I want you to meet Daddy's nemesis Austin Powers."
Scott Evil: "What? Are you feeding him? Why don't you just kill him?"
Dr. Evil: "No Scott, I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death."

Better yet:
Dr. Evil: As you know, every diabolical scheme I've hatched has been thwarted by Austin Powers. And why is that, ladies and gentlemen?
Scott: Because you never kill him when you get the chance, and you're a big dope?​

Flicka

One Too Many
Some of my faves:

Army of Darkness has a number of great lines. My very fave (which is only in the director's cut; there's another line in the original version) is this. After fighting a bad version of himself who mocks him for being a 'goody-two-shoes', the MC blows the head off the evil clone with a shotgun and then says: 'Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.'

Ian McKellen as Chauvelin in the Scarlet Pimpernel version with Anthony Andrews: 'Those English and their stuuupid sense of fair play!'

Judy Holliday's 'Hungry' in reply to how her character felt after shooting her husband in Adam's Rib.

And I love Wendy's little speech in the French-British Les Poupees Russes (2005): "I know most girls, they go weak at the knees for what's beautiful ; that's all they see, that's all they want. But, I'm not like that. I don't just see what's beautiful. I fall for the other stuff. I love what's not perfect. That's just how I am."

Some of my faves:

Army of Darkness has a number of great lines. My very fave (which is only in the director's cut; there's another line in the original version) is this. After fighting a bad version of himself who mocks him for being a 'goody-two-shoes', the MC blows the head off the evil clone with a shotgun and then says: 'Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.'

Ian McKellen as Chauvelin in the Scarlet Pimpernel version with Anthony Andrews: 'Those English and their stuuupid sense of fair play!'

Judy Holliday's 'Hungry' in reply to how her character felt after shooting her husband in Adam's Rib.

And I love Wendy's little speech in the French-British Les Poupees Russes (2005): "I know most girls, they go weak at the knees for what's beautiful ; that's all they see, that's all they want. But, I'm not like that. I don't just see what's beautiful. I fall for the other stuff. I love what's not perfect. That's just how I am."

That is my favorite scene in Army of Darkness as well. In context:
[video=youtube_share;E_d4I_VYDj8]http://youtu.be/E_d4I_VYDj8[/video]
:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy