Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

Auron

New in Town
" 'What' ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?"-Jules (Pulp Fiction)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
From "The Wind & The Lion" (1975)

Eden: Why would anyone want to cut out a man's tongue?
Raisuli: Perhaps the previous owner had nothing pleasant to say.

John Hay: Theodore! You are dangerous. You might even shoot somebody - accidentally I mean.
Theodore Roosevelt: John, I'd never shoot anyone accidentally. I need their votes.
John Hay: Madness!

Theodore Roosevelt: What do I want? I want respect! Respect for human life and respect for American property! And I'm going to send the Atlantic Squadron to Morocco to get that respect.
John Hay: That's illegal.
Theodore Roosevelt: Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?

Theodore Roosevelt: The American grizzly is a symbol of the American character: strength, intelligence, ferocity. Maybe a little blind and reckless at times... but courageous beyond all doubt. And one other trait that goes with all previous.
2nd Reporter: And that, Mr. President?
Theodore Roosevelt: Loneliness. The American grizzly lives out his life alone. Indomitable, unconquered - but always alone. He has no real allies, only enemies, but none of them as great as he.
2nd Reporter: And you feel this might be an American trait?
Theodore Roosevelt: Certainly. The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us. But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity! And, we're a bit blind and reckless at times too.
2nd Reporter: Are you perhaps referring to the situation in Morocco and the Panama Canal.
Theodore Roosevelt: If you say so... The American grizzly embodies the spirit of America. He should be our symbol! Not that ridiculous eagle - he's nothing more than a dandified vulture.

Cheers!

Dan

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
From "The Wind & The Lion" (1975)

Theodore Roosevelt: The American grizzly is a symbol of the American character: strength, intelligence, ferocity. Maybe a little blind and reckless at times... but courageous beyond all doubt. And one other trait that goes with all previous.
2nd Reporter: And that, Mr. President?
Theodore Roosevelt: Loneliness. The American grizzly lives out his life alone. Indomitable, unconquered - but always alone. He has no real allies, only enemies, but none of them as great as he.
2nd Reporter: And you feel this might be an American trait?
Theodore Roosevelt: Certainly. The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us. But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity! And, we're a bit blind and reckless at times too.
2nd Reporter: Are you perhaps referring to the situation in Morocco and the Panama Canal.
Theodore Roosevelt: If you say so... The American grizzly embodies the spirit of America. He should be our symbol! Not that ridiculous eagle - he's nothing more than a dandified vulture.

Cheers!

Dan

I epecially like that one (even if I don't know if Teddy ever said it). Love without respect usually negates the first noun.

Chas

One Too Many
My favorite quote can't be posted per the guidelines re: profanity. PM me if you want to know what it is....it's outrageously funny.

Failing that, and keeping with the FL's PG rating, I would have to say that some of my favorite lines are:

Gladiator (2000)

Quintus: "People should know when they are conquered..."
Maximus: "Would you, Quintus? Would I?"

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Faisal: With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. For me it is merely good manners. You may judge for yourself which is more reliable.

Lawrence: I killed two people, I mean two Arabs. One was a boy. That was yesterday. I led him into a quicksand. The other was a man. That was before Aqaba anyway. I had to execute him with my pistol. There was something about it I didn't like.
Allenby: Well, naturally.
Lawrence: No, something else.
Allenby: I see. Well that's all right. Let it be a warning.
Lawrence: No, something else.
Allenby: What then?
Lawrence: I enjoyed it.

Lawrence: "NO PRISONERS! NO PRISONERS!"

Henry And June (1990)

Hugo: "I love you, Pussy Willow..." (you have to know the scene to appreciate that one!)

Zulu (1964)

Soldier: "Why us, Sarge? Why us?"
Color Sgt. Bourne: "Because we're here, lad....and nobody else."

Dracula (1932)

Count Dracula: "I never drink....wine."

Scarface (1932)

Antonio 'Tony' Camonte: "Outta the way, Johnny, I gotta spit!"

Last edited:

eveready

Banned
From "The Big Lebowski" 1998

The Big Lebowski: What makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?
The Dude: Dude.
The Big Lebowski: Huh?
The Dude: Uhh... I don't know sir.
The Big Lebowski: Is it being prepared to do the right thing, whatever the cost? Isn't that what makes a man?
The Dude: Hmmm... Sure, that and a pair of testicles.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
" 'What' ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?"-Jules (Pulp Fiction)

That, and:

"Well ain't this place a geographical oddity? Two weeks from everywhere!" - Everett (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Most of the ones I can think of right now are from Withnail and I.

Uncle Monty: 'I'm preparing myself to forgive you...' (I use that quite a bit), Monty, again: 'Oh, he's so mauve...we don't know what he'll do next!'

Uncle Monty: 'Hare, here, hare?, etc

and of course the killer: 'MONTY, YOU TERRIBLE C**T!'

I can't say I quote that one though! It's one of those endlessly quotable films. Apologies for the profanities, but it's that kind of film!

CharlieB

A-List Customer
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode. " Capt. Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Most of the ones I can think of right now are from Withnail and I.

Uncle Monty: 'I'm preparing myself to forgive you...' (I use that quite a bit), Monty, again: 'Oh, he's so mauve...we don't know what he'll do next!'

Uncle Monty: 'Hare, here, hare?, etc

and of course the killer: 'MONTY, YOU TERRIBLE C**T!'

I can't say I quote that one though! It's one of those endlessly quotable films. Apologies for the profanities, but it's that kind of film!

Probably one of the most quotable films of all time - I can honestly say I could never tire of watching it - it's a classic. Two of my favourites:

It's the most devastating moment in a young mans life, when he quite reasonably says to himself, "I shall never play The Dane!" It is at that moment that all ambition ceases to exist.

Indeed I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably wintering with his mother in Guildford. A cat, rain, Vim under the sink, and both bars on. But old now, there is no true beauty without decay.

Last edited:
From the Godfather Part 2 when Michael asks about who gave the go ahead to have Frank Pantangli killed. Hyman Roth speaks about the vision of Moe Green in creating Las Vegas as a resort destination.

Hyman Roth:There was this kid I grew up with; he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me, you know. We did our first work together, worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition, we ran molasses into Canada... made a fortune, your father, too. As much as anyone, I loved him and trusted him. Later on he had an idea to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Moe Greene, and the city he invented was Las Vegas. This was a great man, a man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a plaque, or a signpost or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!

From "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"

Tyler Fitzgerald (Jim Backus) - "Now I'll make an Old Fashioned the way mother used to make them!"

Dingy Bell (Mickey Rooney worried about Buddy Hackett flying the plane!) - "What if something happens?!!!"

FItzgerald_ "What could happen to an Old Fashion?!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points